Notices

Hope this was nobody on the board....

Old 05-31-2017, 11:07 AM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 519 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by RealityGT
First, glad that you are ok (Right now). I was T-boned at 100-120 kph in 2014. My car was totaled as every single air bag in the vehicle deployed. It was not until 6 months after the accident that I started to feel the injuries I had sustained. It took me over a year to recover and my only saving grace was that I was in excellent physical shape when this occured.

Insurance will take care of you, as it's clearly the other drivers fault. Make sure you get independent quotes from various sources for a replacement in case insurance tries to low ball you.

Take some time off work as it will help. & honestly, it's just a car.. it can be replaced easily.
Not until 6 months after the accident you felt the injuries you sustained? How is that medically possible?
Old 05-31-2017, 01:35 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry to hear
Old 06-01-2017, 09:49 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 224 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by KenTO
Not until 6 months after the accident you felt the injuries you sustained? How is that medically possible?
I hope you never have to find out..
Old 06-03-2017, 07:13 AM
Jonathon Rolstin
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

quarter panel is not a fun place to repair. Good luck with the repair.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:00 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

ouch, glad nobody was seriously injured. let us know how things turn out. having seen the costs of some 911 collisions that i thought didnt look that bad (and ended up being about 30k)... i wouldn't be surprised if that would cost 15k-20k to repair. best of luck.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:45 PM
akw
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought I would update on what's been going on since the accident.

After my initial response on here I went to an ER to get checked out since things "didn't seem right." Was told it was whiplash and concussion symptoms. Limit device time was the advice I was given. Went to my family dr who checked me out and confirmed concussion. Turns out the advice at the ER was not what I should have done

So....concussions suck. Spent a few weeks doing "nothing" and trying to rest my brain. While there is a lot of awareness now about concussions there is surprisingly little education about what to do once you sustain one.

As for my first car - she is a write off.

Frame damage was the major culprit. The bottle of tire gel in the front trunk popped out, which didn't register with me at first, until I tried to put it back in and the door wouldn't go on. It seems like the whole side of the car torqued/twisted. Besides frame damage the rear suspension was busted. They estimated 35K between labour and parts.

My wife read out the appraisers damage assessment to me as I wasn't allowed to read. Tried my hardest to convince myself it could be fixed. I never intended to sell the car so I didn't care if it had a diminished value.

We went up to the collision center and I started her up one last time. The engine had a tick that wasn't there before.

Those who know me know the car really was a one time deal (due to circumstances). It was to supposed to stay in the family. I was going to be like Bill MacEachern and his 930.
. Looks like I won't be living out that dream after all.

Thankfully my wife dealt with insurance and got us a fair value for the car. Learned a lot about insurance. (Keep all your receipts and it maybe consider getting an up-to date appraisal so there isn't a lot of debate on the value of your car)

So after experiencing every emotion one can imagine when they loose a good friend I think I've come to grips with it. The car settlement has transferred, the garage is empty and I have to figure out how to get another one before I'm 70.

Adam
Old 07-05-2017, 08:52 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,000 Likes on 710 Posts

Wow Adam quite the story. At the end of the day the car is just "stuff" you can get more "stuff"
The important thing is getting yourself healthy for that young family of yours.
Take care of yourself my friend and come see the brown Porsche your mom liked better anyway 😉

Last edited by theiceman; 07-05-2017 at 03:05 PM.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:13 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 285 Likes on 196 Posts

Sorry to hear about you pain, both physically and the loss of your toy.
I know we all say they are just "possessions", I'm sure it still hurts to let them go.
Although I have had thoughts of selling mine because it's one problem after another, I be running after it driving away if I sold it.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:07 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 365 Posts

sorry to hear of this especially the concussion...they suck. my daughter had one and it is devastating. Hopefully you have recovered from it as you didn't say. FYI lots of great info at bloorview hospital website on concussions.
+1 on saving receipts and being up to date on appraisals.
who knows the stock market may crash soon and these pcars will be on sale again. You should be able to get a similar car now if that is in the cards.
Good luck whatever happens next
Old 07-07-2017, 05:20 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Adam, I'm so sorry to see this! I remember starting out in PCA at Mosport with you and this car before your son was born! There will be more cars -- I sometimes need to remind myself that it's where they can take you, and with whom that really counts.
Old 07-08-2017, 04:24 PM
akw
Racer

Originally Posted by theiceman
Wow Adam quite the story. At the end of the day the car is just "stuff" you can get more "stuff"
The important thing is getting yourself healthy for that young family of yours.
Take care of yourself my friend and come see the brown Porsche your mom liked better anyway 😉
I couldn't afford a classic like you.......I'm too used to driving an appliance
Old 07-08-2017, 04:25 PM
akw
Racer

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
Sorry to hear about you pain, both physically and the loss of your toy.
I know we all say they are just "possessions", I'm sure it still hurts to let them go.
Although I have had thoughts of selling mine because it's one problem after another, I be running after it driving away if I sold it.
You are spot in in what you said.

I also had thoughts of selling mine many times - especially with arrival of kid #2 but after I was able to put kid #1 in the backseat.....
Old 07-08-2017, 04:28 PM
akw
Racer

Originally Posted by Turbodan
sorry to hear of this especially the concussion...they suck. my daughter had one and it is devastating. Hopefully you have recovered from it as you didn't say. FYI lots of great info at bloorview hospital website on concussions.
+1 on saving receipts and being up to date on appraisals.
who knows the stock market may crash soon and these pcars will be on sale again. You should be able to get a similar car now if that is in the cards.
Good luck whatever happens next
Danny - Sorry to hear about your daughter's concussion. They really are devastating. Thanks for the tip on holland bloorview!

I'm still experiencing symptoms (PCS). Tried going back to work 1/2 days this week and it didn't go well. Going to see an occupational therapist on Monday and see how that goes.

Last edited by akw; 07-08-2017 at 05:01 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hope this was nobody on the board....