Notices

Car's in for IMS Solution

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 01:20 AM
ggrace
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

It's a form of insurance that I'm willing to pay for. The part alone is $1725USD and I'm sure there's more labour hours then with installing the more basic retrofit kit. Plus, I'm having the work done at the only certified installer in the GTA - which comes with it's cost, and peace of mind.

I tend to go all-out when I do things... For better or worse.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:12 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ggrace
I'm expecting approx $5500 but will update when complete.
Doing clutch and other things?

$5500 is better than rebuilding a motor from a IMS failure. You'll be at 4 X that price to rebuild the motor
Old 04-07-2017, 08:15 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

It's a form of insurance that I'm willing to pay for. The part alone is $1725USD and I'm sure there's more labour hours then with installing the more basic retrofit kit. Plus, I'm having the work done at the only certified installer in the GTA - which comes with it's cost, and peace of mind.

I tend to go all-out when I do things... For better or worse.
yup and as part of them being a certified installer, you will get a very thorough report on the health of your engine. From Manometer testing the AOS, to bore scoping the Cylinders, you will have a very good idea of what health your engine is in.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:31 AM
ggrace
Rennlist Member

I'm doing whatever is needed while they are there. They will call me about clutch condition.

Before buying, I had a boroscope, etc, during my PPI, so I was confident that the engine was in good shape and would meet the requirements of the IMS Solution installation.

Exactly - my investment may be wasted money or I could have just saved myself $20k. I'll never know, but I am comfortable with my choice.

Now to get the stereo brought up to modern standards!
Old 04-07-2017, 10:11 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

I'm expecting approx $5500 but will update when complete.
Did they give you a breakdown of the cost (inspection, installation, etc)? This seems really high to me if the part is ~$2200CDN. If you need a clutch and you can't do the work yourself at a later time, this would be a good time to get it even if it's only half worn. What is the shop's hourly rate?
Old 04-07-2017, 10:15 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by AWDGuy
Doing clutch and other things?

$5500 is better than rebuilding a motor from a IMS failure. You'll be at 4 X that price to rebuild the motor
Yes but then you'll have fully rebuilt engine so that's not a fair comparison. You can just get a good used one for~ $12K.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:26 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 287 Likes on 198 Posts

You can rebuild one of these engines for $20K?
Old 04-07-2017, 10:49 AM
ggrace
Rennlist Member

My motor only has 54k on it and is mechanically sound, so I don't see much difference between what I have and a rebuilt motor (assuming rebuilt to OEM standards and not improved - I have no interest in modifying this car).

If my engine blew and I bought a used one, I'd be right back to doing the IMS Solution on it - because it would have the same odds of failing as the one I have now.

My guesstimate on a rebuild was $25k, which is probably not enough - that's why I commented saving $20k (differential between a rebuild and the preventative job I'm doing now).

In the end, I have $6k to spend but don't want to part with $25k-$30k. My IMS may never have failed, or it may have... I work insane hours and have small kids. The peace of mind is worth it for me, which may not be true for everyone.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:37 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Imo000
Yes but then you'll have fully rebuilt engine so that's not a fair comparison. You can just get a good used one for~ $12K.
It is fair if you want to remedy the known issue of this engine aka do it properly.

A used engine is still over 2 X the cost with no guarantee that the IMS is bad. Or it has scored cylinders, or it has a failing thrust washer, or its weak rod bolts have stretched/will snap....or the IMS paddle snaps...or one of 5 (or 3) timing chain snaps....

but heh, Im sure you'll want to argue that!
Old 04-07-2017, 11:38 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
You can rebuild one of these engines for $20K?
Yourself, yes, for about 18k CDN.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:45 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

In the end, I have $6k to spend but don't want to part with $25k-$30k. My IMS may never have failed, or it may have... I work insane hours and have small kids. The peace of mind is worth it for me, which may not be true for everyone.
Exactly. Its your car, your money, no one has any business telling you what do with it. if YOU feel good about it, then that's all that matters.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:47 AM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by AWDGuy
Yourself, yes, for about 18k CDN.
If you want to upgrade the cylinder linings, deal with the IMS and don't have the skill to do it yourself (like me) then it can and will be significantly more than $20k
Old 04-07-2017, 11:49 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

That is why I said, "yourself". My build was done with the LNE nickies. That's the cheap part.

Yes, it will be significantly more than that if you don't do the labour yourself.

I probably spent close to $1000 just for tools....and they were all used tools.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:50 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by vern1
If you want to upgrade the cylinder linings, deal with the IMS and don't have the skill to do it yourself (like me) then it can and will be significantly more than $20k
Did you go with the solution on your rebuild?
Old 04-07-2017, 12:16 PM
Turbojamie
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Expecting it back on Tuesday and looking forward to enjoying it with no concerns of IMS issues! I know it's an up front cost, but it's worth it for my peace of mind.

Caved in to the online paranoia I see. Did you have to talk Liam into doing the swap? When I called to inquire about doing my 03 he told me that he simply didn't see the failures or the need to change the bearing. He talked me out of doing it in the end. I see he is doing yours so I was curious now if he has changed his position or you had to more or less ask to have it done?

I'm still in the position that an original IMS bearing is preferred to me over an upgraded one.

Quick Reply: Car's in for IMS Solution