Notices

Ot: cdn money forums

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 09:58 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 110 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Ot: cdn money forums

Since we have topics about cheap winter tires, saving money on tv and internet, and just wondering if any of you can recommend a good forum to research and learn about money issues.

I'm going to be 45 this year and looking at scenarios which allow me to go part time until 55...

There have got to be some money smart people here that banter elsewhere on financial issues...

I need to get benefits sorted out among other things....

Peter

Last edited by petee_c; 01-21-2017 at 12:17 AM.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:17 AM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

There are lots of financial advisors of course, but a useful first place to start is a retirement calculator from one of the banks such as:

https://tools.td.com/retirement-calculator/

Many people have no developed idea about how much they will need to retire, and with long life expectancies these days and limited pension benefits for many it is useful to start with a set of objectives.

One of the common mistakes to assume that the value of your home will fund your retirement, but of course you have to live somewhere so its difficult to unlock that value unless you are moving to a hugely cheaper location.

Further,you need to consider the many people over (say) 75 have medical conditions, and the prognosis for medical care being fully funded in perpetuity is pretty doubtful.

If you are intending to retire at 55 then you will certainly need a robust plan. Generally the fairly modest Canada pension discounts heavily if you take it at 60, so you are best to wait as long as possible to say 69 when it is a fair bit better.

Good that you are thinking about it now.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:47 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Thx Ronan,

I'm a healthcare worker with a HOOPP pension... Which is apparently the 'good' type - defined benefits.

According to our mutual fund/rrsp guy, we have enough extra saved/invested to retire at 55 with $6000/month with our current portfolio,even if I quit saving after going PT (but I would still save) our primary residence is not part of the equation, although we are slumlords with 8 tenants in Waterloo...

I'll be the guy clipping coupons and browsing the weekly flyers.....
Old 01-09-2017, 11:08 AM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Yep DP plans are the ones to have but you should check out any discount caused by early retirement...this can be steep.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:45 PM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Drop me a PM if anyone is interested in learning about private investing. Regulators have recently changed the rules for private investing in Ontario. It represents a real alternative to stocks, bonds, and mutual funds.

Last edited by The Stig; 01-09-2017 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:28 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by petee_c
Thx Ronan,

I'm a healthcare worker with a HOOPP pension... Which is apparently the 'good' type - defined benefits.

According to our mutual fund/rrsp guy, we have enough extra saved/invested to retire at 55 with $6000/month with our current portfolio,even if I quit saving after going PT (but I would still save) our primary residence is not part of the equation, although we are slumlords with 8 tenants in Waterloo...

Screw up the calculations and you'll be eating canned dog food like Mad Max!
Old 01-09-2017, 06:52 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Originally Posted by Imo000
Screw up the calculations and you'll be eating canned dog food like Mad Max!
I'm going to double check the calculations before going part time..... I'm partial to liver flavoured dog food...
Old 01-09-2017, 11:05 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 138 Posts

www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/
Old 01-09-2017, 11:32 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by petee_c
Thx Ronan,

I retired in 2015 when I was 55. I have a defined pension with full benefits (private sector union). I also invested in rrsp"s.
Before I retired I kept looking at my working income versus my pension income. The pension amount was alot less. But I pay less in taxes.
In my case taking early retirement I lost $200 per month. So for $50 per week I wasn't going to stay.
I have a financial adviser that I trust. We meet once a year and go over my accounts.
As it stands right now I don't have to work. I still do track days and I travel now. I've traveled more in the last 2 years than when I was working.
Ronan gave some spot on advice.

Last edited by Brian 162; 01-09-2017 at 11:50 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:41 AM
kgoertz
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out http://canadianmoneyforum.com/

They have subforums on general investing, individual stocks, taxation, and saving money. I've been a member for a few years and learned a reasonable amount. There is a lot of focus on the "couch potato" strategy using ETFs which is the route I've taken (and have been happy with).
Old 01-10-2017, 09:42 AM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

damn... retirement by 35 isn't looking so good.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:18 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche0nut
damn... retirement by 35 isn't looking so good.
Didn't work for the Trailer Park Boys either.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:50 AM
initial
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kgoertz
Check out [url] There is a lot of focus on the "couch potato" strategy using ETFs which is the route I've taken (and have been happy with).
+1 on the couch potato ETF model portfolio
Old 01-15-2017, 03:06 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 805 Likes on 370 Posts

Motley fool sometimes has some good info.
Old 01-15-2017, 03:14 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 805 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronan
There are lots of financial advisors of course, but a useful first place to start is a retirement calculator from one of the banks such as:

https://tools.td.com/retirement-calculator/

Many people have no developed idea about how much they will need to retire, and with long life expectancies these days and limited pension benefits for many it is useful to start with a set of objectives.

One of the common mistakes to assume that the value of your home will fund your retirement, but of course you have to live somewhere so its difficult to unlock that value unless you are moving to a hugely cheaper location.

Further,you need to consider the many people over (say) 75 have medical conditions, and the prognosis for medical care being fully funded in perpetuity is pretty doubtful.

If you are intending to retire at 55 then you will certainly need a robust plan. Generally the fairly modest Canada pension discounts heavily if you take it at 60, so you are best to wait as long as possible to say 69 when it is a fair bit better.

Good that you are thinking about it now.
Cat food it is!

Quick Reply: Ot: cdn money forums