Notices

Why are east coast cars less expensive?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 05:45 AM
Amiroo39
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Why are east coast cars less expensive?

Hi guys,

I've been looking around on autotrader for some time now and it's clear that cars from the east (Ontario, Manitoba, and especially Quebec) are considerably less expensive than cars in BC. I've heard that it has to do with the salt on the roads, but any other reasons? And should I be too concerned if I'm looking to import a car to BC? I'm guessing resale will be affected too. Currently looking at '15 GTS 991 models.
thanks
Old 09-07-2016, 05:53 AM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 77 Posts

I'm not sure how much resale would be affected. The majority of the 997s I've been looking at in BC were originally from either an eastern province or, more often, an eastern state.

I think that things like salt on the roads have depressed car prices across the board in the east, and Porsches get dragged down with the rest - even ones that are never winter driven. Bring the car to BC though, and for the most part it gets compared with other BC cars.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:30 AM
EdwardB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Amiroo39
Hi guys,

I've been looking around on autotrader for some time now and it's clear that cars from the east (Ontario, Manitoba, and especially Quebec) are considerably less expensive than cars in BC. I've heard that it has to do with the salt on the roads, but any other reasons? And should I be too concerned if I'm looking to import a car to BC? I'm guessing resale will be affected too. Currently looking at '15 GTS 991 models.
thanks
I think you can find quite few eastern Canada Porsches which have never seen snow and salt. I have two in my garage.

I suspect the pricing differential has more to do with supply / demand and people's ability/willingness to pay more than anything (which is the same reason why a $100k home on the water on the east coast goes for a couple million on the west).

Maybe the BC government can impose another 15% tax for non-residents.

Ed
Old 09-07-2016, 11:40 AM
mike.baa
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I did research on this in the past when I was debating a car from Quebec solely because of the cost difference. Quebec has different rules for car titles. A designated 'rebuilt title' in ontario, could still be branded as a 'clean title' in Quebec. At least that was what it was a few years back. Personally, I think any car that checks out at PPI, is worth a look.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:16 PM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 235 Posts

I would think it has to do with number of Porsche dealers on the eastern side of Canada serving a much larger population base rather than any salt issues...

Ontario alone has 5 main dealers.

Old 09-07-2016, 01:51 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 584 Likes on 351 Posts

while porsche's, I'm not 100% positive but for regular cars , the stereo type that the vancouver residents believe is that the east cost cars are salt covered crap.

kind of comparable to how Ontarians believe that all quebec cars are salvaged retitled salt covered title-wash scam vehicles.

i'd carefully look at it via a case-by-case car-by-car basis, there are many owners everywhere in the country that take care of their cars.

Originally Posted by Amiroo39
Hi guys,

thanks
Old 09-07-2016, 02:02 PM
Donster
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a guy from Nova Scotia I find your definition of "the east" (Ontario, Manitoba, and especially Quebec) pretty amusing. Last time I looked at a map these provinces were all in central Canada.
Old 09-07-2016, 03:54 PM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

what the market will bear.
Ferrari - a grade 12 grad present on Vancouver's west side.
saw a dad with his daughter (she looked to be approximately 16 yrs old) on the Sea to Sky - driving matching GT 3's. Dad had to back the car up for her, to turn it around .......... at Porteau Cove.
Old 09-07-2016, 04:32 PM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 113 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by creaturecat
what the market will bear.
Ferrari - a grade 12 grad present on Vancouver's west side.
saw a dad with his daughter (she looked to be approximately 16 yrs old) on the Sea to Sky - driving matching GT 3's. Dad had to back the car up for her, to turn it around .......... at Porteau Cove.
This !!!!!!!!!

You will find a bunch of Lambos, Porsches, Ferraris etc at any High School parking lot in the West side of Vancouver.

I was getting my car washed on 2nd Ave a week ago and sitting in the lounge beside me was a couple of very young looking Chinese guys. I over heard them talking about his friend's Lambo and how he only had a crappy R8 (I saw it being washed and it was a beautiful black one with custom rims that probably cost more than my daily driver).
Old 09-07-2016, 07:15 PM
Amiroo39
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Donster
As a guy from Nova Scotia I find your definition of "the east" (Ontario, Manitoba, and especially Quebec) pretty amusing. Last time I looked at a map these provinces were all in central Canada.
There's literally five 911's for sale in the province of Nova Scotia on autotrader, and only one 991 , but yes the beautiful province of Nova Scotia is on the east coast. oh almost forgot about Newfoundland!
Old 09-07-2016, 07:21 PM
Amiroo39
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by canuck964
This !!!!!!!!!

You will find a bunch of Lambos, Porsches, Ferraris etc at any High School parking lot in the West side of Vancouver.

I was getting my car washed on 2nd Ave a week ago and sitting in the lounge beside me was a couple of very young looking Chinese guys. I over heard them talking about his friend's Lambo and how he only had a crappy R8 (I saw it being washed and it was a beautiful black one with custom rims that probably cost more than my daily driver).
F12's, 488/458, and Aventadors are so common with young drivers in Vancouver. I've lost count of how many I've seen with N signs. Last summer I saw a girl probably no older than 18 driving a Bugatti L'or Blanc in West Vancouver with an N sign. It really blew my mind. And then there are the kids that get the P1 as a graduation gift.

Quick Reply: Why are east coast cars less expensive?