Notices

Helmet options for UCR driving event?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 03:08 PM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmet options for UCR driving event?

I've completed the UCR introductory driving school, and am doing my first proper DE soon. I don't yet own a helmet, and it looks like most intro-level options are $650+.

I'm not positive how many DE's I'll be doing in the future, so is there a rental option? Or should I just buy and hope to sell if I end up not continuing with DE's in the future?

Any advice would be appreciated!
Old 08-16-2016, 03:21 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

You don't need a full Snell SA2015 (fire retardant) rated helmet for DE days. A motorcycle M2015 or even M2010 rated helmet is acceptable under PCA rules for DE days (racing is another story). These are MUCH cheaper and more accessible. $150 Cnd will get you one.
Old 08-16-2016, 04:29 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 365 Posts

note some regions will not allow m rated helmets. I believe UCR does.
Old 08-16-2016, 05:54 PM
goatfarmerdave
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Royal distributing will get you a motorcycle helmet for 200 bucks. Just make sure it is snell 2015,not 2010 as they have some of those leftover still. That way it is good for 10 years. Take the visor off after you buy it and you are good to go.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:04 PM
nowakm99
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I would advise against purchasing an M rated helmet as it may become obsolete very quickly. As an example, BMWCCA accepted M-rated last year, but that changed this year.

The entry level HJC helmets are really good (<$300) and are rated S2015. Bell also has some affordable options in that range, but at that price you're looking at open face models.

I spend a lot of time in Montreal, so get all this stuff at Perry Auto in Laval; they have a huge selection of helmets, gloves, etc. (no affiliation; I just work nearby).
Old 08-16-2016, 10:25 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I purchased a Racequip open face helmet at Performance Improvements. It's a SA2015, and I paid around $250.
I have an older open face Bell helmet (SA2010) which is still good for 5 years. If interested PM me.

Last edited by Brian 162; 08-17-2016 at 10:33 PM.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:42 AM
928gt
Burning Brakes

Received 218 Likes on 140 Posts

I would advise against purchasing an M rated helmet as it is only built to withstand and absorb a single impact, unlike SA helmets which are built to absorb multiple ones that are much more typical in car racing accidents. Buying a helmet is like spending money on insurance - it is a complete waste until you actually need it. Once you do however (and I sincerely hope that you - and all of us here - never will), only you can determine what your head is worth.

I was discussing the helmet choice issue with one of my driving instructors, who has been a professional racer and coach for over 40 years. His words of advice were "Imagine yourself in the car after it has rolled over, hurling towards a wall upside down at 200 km/h. How much would you be willing to spend on a good helmet at that particular moment?".

While you can spend $3-4K on a CF helmet, Bell and HJC among others make good quality SA helmets well below the $1K mark. Try on a bunch - not all helmets of the same size fit the same - and make sure it fits properly (it should be snug everywhere but not too tight). Any decent safety gear retailer will likely have a bunch of different models that you can try on and help you decide on the one that fits you best, and at this time of year there shouldn't be long wait times until they get the one you choose in from the distributor.
Old 08-17-2016, 01:31 PM
PPo
Drifting

What Doug said ^^^^ is solid advice.

Contact Braiden Tire, they have rental helmets at the track. But consider that not many people do a DE and say "this isn't for me", it's usually heavily the opposite.
Old 08-17-2016, 03:10 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 234 Likes on 157 Posts

Wow. Worried about a pocket change while tracking a car that valuable.....assuming your avatar is the one. I'd buy a 996tt......more power, better handling and 1/5 the money.
Old 08-17-2016, 05:33 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

I was not aware the Snell standard for SA helmets required multiple impact testing. I was only suggesting a cost effective solution for a first time DE participant to get a taste and learn some valuable skills under very controlled conditions. I assume this is why many clubs allow M helmets and require basically no other PPE.

I suppose, in reality we should all have fire resistant underwear, coveralls, gloves, boots, balaclava, 5 point harness, head and neck restraint and roll cage too, but might be a bit of a deterrent to attending a basic DE event
Old 08-18-2016, 12:08 AM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

I dropped by Braidan today. Very helpful with fitting some Bell and Stilo options.

As others have said, even though you can get the same size in any brand - each will fit you slightly differently and you need to try them on to figure out which brand fits you best.

For example, Bell fits me too loose in the face padding when the head size is right. Stilo has a narrower face profile, and it fits me perfectly. I was also shocked at how much better the visibility, breathing, and weight is with the open-face models vs the full-face models. They might not look as cool, but the open face helmet is way more comfortable IMO.

And for anyone else in the same conundrum, I still think renting a helmet for a first-timer is a great way to go. Braiden offers an affordable track-side option at CTMP, with the added benefit that you can try different models and sizes over the weekend.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:38 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 286 Likes on 197 Posts

My understanding is the multiple impact is for roll cages and feel the M would be sufficient in a crash.

I wound not go with an open face as I like my chicklets where they are ....but that's just me.
Old 08-18-2016, 02:40 PM
ibeaudoin
Racer

When students ask me about open/full face helmet, I like to redirect them to this video and let them figure out which type would be the best.
I always drive with my visor down. Lots of deer in Tremblant.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:18 PM
928gt
Burning Brakes

Received 218 Likes on 140 Posts

I didn't think of it but am glad Patrick did - yes, Brad has a few helmets for rent at his Mosport shop.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:34 AM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
I wound not go with an open face as I like my chicklets where they are ....but that's just me.
Fair point!!

Quick Reply: Helmet options for UCR driving event?