Can you trace a licence plate?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 05:03 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 340 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
Il ask tomorrow. But I am thinking I would not pay any if I am not st fault.
Since you have all the info from the other party, and they admitted fault, you will not have to pay a deductible.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:28 PM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
So you would rather lie to the new owner and say the car was never painted?

Where in my statement did I say to lie to the new owner or potential buyer? The bottom line is that a car is worth significantly less in the used market if it has an accident on its history, especially on a car like a Porsche.

My car has a clean history, but it looks like the front has been resprayed at some point, probably due to rock chips. Didnt phase me during purchase, as I could tell there was no serious accident, and the history was clean.

Even a dealer will repair and respray a brand new car, and sell it as new if it gets chipped in transport. And nothing will be on the history.

Factory paint is not some magical substance that can never be repaired. I would much rather purchase a car with a high-end professional front end respray then a car with rock chips all over. But not if it had an accident history, unless there was a major discount.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:38 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

That's what you were implying. There is no price difference if a car has a minkr repair on carproof. Factory paint IS magical, yet to see a body shop go through the same process as the facoty. Over time, you can always tell when a panel is painted as they age differently. Unless the dealer shows you pictures of what the car looed before the "just a bumper respray" you will have no idea if they are telling the thruth or not. You would be amazed how good of a job a good shop can do to a car that was in a major collision.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:13 PM
halo777
Rennlist Member

That's what you were implying. There is no price difference if a car has a minkr repair on carproof.
Wrong, buddy. You are wrong, period. Its called diminished value.

Any car with an accident on it's history is worth less than the exact same car without one.

http://thegarage.jalopnik.com/that-f...ate-1642640784

http://insurance.lawyers.com/auto-in...hed-value.html

http://www.carfax.com/guides/selling...ect-car-prices

Factory paint IS magical, yet to see a body shop go through the same process as the facoty. Over time, you can always tell when a panel is painted as they age differently. Unless the dealer shows you pictures of what the car looed before the "just a bumper respray" you will have no idea if they are telling the thruth or not. You would be amazed how good of a job a good shop can do to a car that was in a major collision.
[/URL]

You dont seem to get the point, even a car sold as BRAND NEW at a dealer is not guaranteed to have your magical factory paint with extra pixie dust. Cars are routinely repaired after they have left the factory, when they are damaged in transport. But the car is still sold as brand new. There is no guarantee that you have factory fresh paint (aka magic paint), even when you buy a brand new car from the dealer.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/12/06/n...damage-repair/

Furthermore, go to any high end body-shop and ask them what they think of factory paint. First thing theyll do is point out the orange peel in your magic paint. Easy fix right? Wrong again. The factory paint is often so thin that you are not going to be able to wet sand the orange peel out without ruining the paint job. A high end aftermarket respray has the potential to be, not just as good, but significantly better than the factory paint job.

I am not going to argue with you any more about paint work, because its clear to me that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Last edited by halo777; 08-28-2016 at 08:53 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:16 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Old 08-29-2016, 11:47 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,172 Likes on 840 Posts

ok meanwhile ... back at he point of this thread ....

Rod I was able to get the person who hit me info .

no deductible on my part and no fault for Micheal as he was not even in the car.

I asked if it was okay if we went until fault is assessed before we proceed with anything. She said that's perfectly okay. They will contact the other insurance company to make sure the person who has called there insurance company.
She says this one is pretty well a slam dunk given they admitted fault and no one was in the car. She did say we should have at least reported it to the police as a hit and run.

My Big concern was a claim against Micheal and she put my mind at ease.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:17 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 311 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
ok meanwhile ... back at he point of this thread ....

Rod I was able to get the person who hit me info .

no deductible on my part and no fault for Micheal as he was not even in the car.

I asked if it was okay if we went until fault is assessed before we proceed with anything. She said that's perfectly okay. They will contact the other insurance company to make sure the person who has called there insurance company.
She says this one is pretty well a slam dunk given they admitted fault and no one was in the car. She did say we should have at least reported it to the police as a hit and run.

My Big concern was a claim against Micheal and she put my mind at ease.
Glad to see it's moving forward.

All of this is such a PITA!
Old 08-29-2016, 02:38 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by halo777
Wrong, buddy. You are wrong, period. Its called diminished value.

Any car with an accident on it's history is worth less than the exact same car without one.

http://thegarage.jalopnik.com/that-f...ate-1642640784

http://insurance.lawyers.com/auto-in...hed-value.html

http://www.carfax.com/guides/selling...ect-car-prices

[/URL]

You dont seem to get the point, even a car sold as BRAND NEW at a dealer is not guaranteed to have your magical factory paint with extra pixie dust. Cars are routinely repaired after they have left the factory, when they are damaged in transport. But the car is still sold as brand new. There is no guarantee that you have factory fresh paint (aka magic paint), even when you buy a brand new car from the dealer.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/12/06/n...damage-repair/

Furthermore, go to any high end body-shop and ask them what they think of factory paint. First thing theyll do is point out the orange peel in your magic paint. Easy fix right? Wrong again. The factory paint is often so thin that you are not going to be able to wet sand the orange peel out without ruining the paint job. A high end aftermarket respray has the potential to be, not just as good, but significantly better than the factory paint job.

I am not going to argue with you any more about paint work, because its clear to me that you have no idea what you are talking about.
Paint thickness has little to do with quality. Unless it's some very high quality repair, the body shops roll the cars out with a much less durable paint than the factory. As for the diminishes value, very few buyers care about it. But in your case, a resprsyed bumper will deminish tha value if you are honest to the buyer. Obviously you want to hinde it otherwise why would you care so much. If a car was in a minor gender bender, let the carproof history show it. After all, it's not like it didn't happen.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:44 PM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Im just going to stop right here before I tear you a new one.

Have a nice day!!!
Old 08-29-2016, 04:43 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by halo777
Im just going to stop right here before I tear you a new one.

Have a nice day!!!
most new cars come with between 4.5 to 9 mils of paint. Even the ones with orange peel spend millions of dollars on paint equipment and it is only original once. That is more than enough to wetsand and polish. Even though manufacturers repaint cars damaged in transport before delivery, that doesn;t make it right. you can inspect a new car and refuse delivery if it has been repainted.
go to any body shop and review the cars they have painted and you will see major flaws that would never leave any car factory. Most body shops here deliver crap results, unless they are charging a premium and the customer actually cares to examine the car, and then they usually end up having to redo it anyway.

btw pretty strong words from someone uninformed
Old 08-29-2016, 05:04 PM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Again, Have a nice day!!!

and enjoy your wonderful, magical, paint
Old 08-29-2016, 06:03 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,172 Likes on 840 Posts

my 944 was diamond blue metallic and had all original paint. I wet sanded it and it looked gorgeous. No issues at all. Cars are all clear coated anyway and what most people don't realize is its just paint with no pigment. so lots to work with and it came up gorgeous.

Guess i'm getting a new one too....

Quick Reply: Can you trace a licence plate?