Notices

New F1 qualifying rules

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 01:57 AM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's an idea. Whenever there are no cars on the track for more than 60 seconds, an FIA executive gets fired.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:29 AM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you REALLY want to sort out qualifying, you have to go a bit deeper.

(warning: I'm a Root Cause Analysis facilitator...)

Here's somewhere to start:
  • Spectators want to see more passing in the race.
  • Qualifying reduces passing in the race. (a.k.a The top qualifier has zero opportunity to pass anyone in the race)
  • Points are awarded for finishing in front of people, not for passing them.
  • Starting order must be the same as qualifying order (a.k.a you cannot start ahead of your qualifying position).

Anyone care to walk this one through?

Cheers,
Mike
Old 04-05-2016, 11:01 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

What I found interesting is that the promotors were given input into these new rules. I see this as a sup to the promotors giving them some tiny measure of control when in reality they have given up TV money, signage money and the paddock club money. All the promotors have left is ticket sales and thus this was Bernie's way of allowing them some minor way of ramping up the 'excitement' and hopefully increased ticket sales.

Races like Montreal, Monoco, Spa, Silverstone don't need these gimmicks but Bernie has this hope that it will screw up Merc so that Ferrari get up front more often. It's phoney BS.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:37 AM
Mr Fish Tank
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new system doesnt benefit the small teams. It will only drop a top team if the driver makes a mistake...
Q1 was intense... no questions there...
IMO the problem this system may cause is lack of sponsors to small teams.
Why would they finance a team that is always cut off in Q3?
F1 should find a way to benefit the small teams and motivate sponsors to help them financially, so they can grow close to the level as big teams (utopia).

Williams engineers should stop messing up with Massa's race....WTF was that, changing to med tires with 29 laps to go and NO MORE pit stops???????? Are they insane?

It looks like what Jean Todd did to Barrichello, when ordered him to not win the race and let Schummy take it.....

Stupid decisions.......
Old 04-05-2016, 12:31 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Fish Tank
The new system doesnt benefit the small teams. It will only drop a top team if the driver makes a mistake...
Q1 was intense... no questions there...
IMO the problem this system may cause is lack of sponsors to small teams.
F1 should find a way to benefit the small teams and motivate sponsors to help them financially, so they can grow close to the level as big teams (utopia).

Williams engineers should stop messing up with Massa's race....WTF was that, changing to med tires with 29 laps to go and NO MORE pit stops???????? Are they insane?

It looks like what Jean Todd did to Barrichello, when ordered him to not win the race and let Schummy take it.....

Stupid decisions.......
Williams has the worst strategy around then goes complaining about Haas not being a true constructor.
Old 04-05-2016, 03:10 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,021 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregster
Williams has the worst strategy around then goes complaining about Haas not being a true constructor.
even Brundle commented ... " they don't do half bad for a race team picking bits off the shelf"

lol classic !!
Old 04-05-2016, 03:23 PM
Crester
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

I don't think about Haas' relationship with Ferrari too much. It's not like they are the only team to partner with another team. Toro Rosso has Red Bull... Sauber was partnered with Ferrari... the only reason people like Williams are making noise about Haas is because they are doing so good.

I'm really happy to see Haas doing well. I was worried that they would be fighting at the back with Manor. 5th and 6th place finishes for a team's first two races in incredible.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:44 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Crester
I don't think about Haas' relationship with Ferrari too much. It's not like they are the only team to partner with another team. Toro Rosso has Red Bull... Sauber was partnered with Ferrari... the only reason people like Williams are making noise about Haas is because they are doing so good.

I'm really happy to see Haas doing well. I was worried that they would be fighting at the back with Manor. 5th and 6th place finishes for a team's first two races in incredible.
and rumor has it that Sauber is about to become Alfa Romeo...
Old 04-05-2016, 07:20 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Fish Tank
I'm not sure I agree with this, as the TV coverage spent more time on the mid packers than the leaders. I'd say they got very good coverage, if not the few mins of Q3 time.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:19 PM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 388 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregster
As I said in OT, Haas applied Nascar logic to F1. Buying as much off the shelf items from another established team as possible thus reducing time fiddling with trying stuff out. They also got a good overall team package... I bet my friend 50$ that GRO gets a podium by Montreal or in Montreal.
Every single nut and bolt they could find! Then he applied his experience in Nascar Aero so I agree, the team will certainly give Williams and Red Bull worry this season!

Awesome.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:51 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
Every single nut and bolt they could find! Then he applied his experience in Nascar Aero so I agree, the team will certainly give Williams and Red Bull worry this season!

Awesome.
Also helps when you own the windtunnel thats located in the USA... Since they were a new entry they were only bound by minimal FIA rules.

that being said I'd pay to see this
Old 04-06-2016, 02:33 PM
Crester
Pro

F1 has announced the latest Qualifying system which will be used in China...

Old 04-07-2016, 03:11 PM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

F1 has announced the latest Qualifying system which will be used in China...

Actually the same system used in 2015.

http://www.fia.com/news/fia-and-fom-statement-regarding-f1-qualifying-format
Old 04-08-2016, 11:32 AM
Crester
Pro

I'm relieved to see they are using 2015 rules for China... but I thought I read somewhere that it's only temporary until they figure out what new method to use. :'(
Old 04-08-2016, 12:33 PM
KLCC 88
Pro

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

I'm relieved to see they are using 2015 rules for China... but I thought I read somewhere that it's only temporary until they figure out what new method to use. :'(
I think Fan's also had a lot to do with this change as well which is great. It's funny when they changed engines and all the fans complaint it was not loud enough anymore, Bernie agreed with the fans and said he wanted to change that.....but when it's something he and FOM comes up with this quali idea and the fan's doesn't like it, he's against it....bullocks....

glad to see china will be more familiar!

Quick Reply: New F1 qualifying rules