Notices

Warning re front license plate

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 09:20 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Lue
Is there any legislation on how the front plate is required to be mounted? If it was mounted on a hinge or low resistance spring steel the wind pressure would bend the plate down so at speed it would reflect down or be less visible.
I'm not going to (re)search the HTA, however I do recall reading somewhere that the plate must be affixed in the factory location and with the factory mounting hardware.

If this is in fact accurate, then even the tow hook mount is technically not legal, let along the spring loaded or actuator activated mechanisms.

BTW most cars have metallic radiators up front, those are bigger reflectors for radar which work best with metallic objects. The headlights and retro-reflective front plate are best places to target with LIDAR IR laser beams.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:06 PM
928gt
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 147 Posts

HTA, Section 7 (1) [Permit requirements]:

No person shall drive a motor vehicle on a highway unless,

(b) there are displayed on the vehicle, in the prescribed manner,

(i) number plates issued in accordance with the regulations showing the number of the permit issued for the vehicle, or

HTA, Section 13 [Number plates, further violations]:

Number plate to be kept clean

(2) Every number plate shall be kept free from dirt and obstruction and shall be affixed so that the entire number plate, including the numbers, is plainly visible at all times, and the view of the number plate shall not be obscured or obstructed by spare tires, bumper bars, any part of the vehicle, any attachments to the vehicle or the load carried. 1994, c. 27, s. 138 (7).

Obstruction prohibited

(3) The number plates shall not be obstructed by any device that prevents the entire number plates including the numbers from being accurately photographed using a photo-radar system. 1993, c. 31, s. 2 (5).

The regulations referred to in 7 (1) would include HTA Reg. 628, s. 9 (3):

9. (3) The number plates for a motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle or a motor assisted bicycle, shall be attached to and exposed in a conspicuous position on the front and rear of the motor vehicle. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 628, s. 9 (3).

The operative words in the foregoing are ATTACHED, EXPOSED, CONSPICUOUS, FRONT. REAR. There is no mention of factory location or factory mounting hardware.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:39 PM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 651 Likes on 319 Posts

Ministry of Attorney General is proposing amendments to the HTA (proposed changes in bold below)

Originally Posted by 928gt
HTA, Section 7 (1) [Permit requirements]:

No person shall drive a motor vehicle on a highway unless,

(b) there are displayed on the vehicle, in the prescribed manner,

(i) number plates issued in accordance with the regulations showing the number of the permit issued for the vehicle, unless the driver has a pair and doesn't care what the popo says or

HTA, Section 13 [Number plates, further violations]:

Number plate to be kept clean

(2) Every number plate shall be kept free from dirt and obstruction and shall be affixed so that the entire number plate, including the numbers, is plainly visible at all times, and the view of the number plate shall not be obscured or obstructed by spare tires, bumper bars, any part of the vehicle, any attachments to the vehicle or the load carried, provided that the foregoing provision shall not apply to lemmings. 1994, c. 27, s. 138 (7).

Obstruction prohibited

(3) The number plates shall not be obstructed by any device that prevents the entire number plates including the numbers from being accurately photographed using a photo-radar system. 1993, c. 31, s. 2 (5).

The regulations referred to in 7 (1) would include HTA Reg. 628, s. 9 (3):

9. (3) The number plates for a motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle or a motor assisted bicycle, shall be attached to and exposed in a conspicuous position on the front and rear of the motor vehicle and the driver of the said motor vehicle shall also tuck his nut sack between his legs R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 628, s. 9 (3).

The operative words in the foregoing are ATTACHED, EXPOSED, CONSPICUOUS, FRONT. REAR. There is no mention of factory location or factory mounting hardware.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:32 AM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Still have difficulty with this..car on left is mine with temp plates, car on right is German-plated factory entry to the Nurburgring 24. Second pic is my car with Canadian plate. This seems to be peculiarly North American discussion.Nobody else in the world seems to car, and in Germany the cars are driven a whole lot faster, but I never hear the aerodynamic argument either........

Name:  IMG_2141.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  2.88 MB

Name:  IMG_2488.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  4.85 MB

Way too much trouble for me to attract a ticket.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:25 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronan
Still have difficulty with this..car on left is mine with temp plates, car on right is German-plated factory entry to the Nurburgring 24. Second pic is my car with Canadian plate. This seems to be peculiarly North American discussion.Nobody else in the world seems to car, and in Germany the cars are driven a whole lot faster, but I never hear the aerodynamic argument either........ Way too much trouble for me to attract a ticket.
So true
Old 02-23-2016, 11:37 AM
PPo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't always do illegal things, but when I do, I prefer them to be felonies.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:42 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PPo
I don't always do illegal things, but when I do, I prefer them to be felonies.
... you like the prison life eh? ... ya do !
Old 03-01-2016, 05:28 PM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nicely done right down to the reflective surface. Thought this wasn't legal.

Old 03-01-2016, 05:34 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 344 Posts

not legal, but might just 'work'...

Originally Posted by Sir5n

Old 03-01-2016, 05:47 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

For now it's the law so I have the front plate.
What perplexes me is the amount of late model cars that don't have DRL's.
Old 03-01-2016, 06:01 PM
fanny bay r1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really like that sticky plate ... other than its Ont!!
Old 03-01-2016, 08:16 PM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 651 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by Sir5n

no way that is legal. you can't just print a plate at home and stick it on your car. the plate has to be issued by the ministry.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:22 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 1,076 Likes on 508 Posts

White Cayman on Walkers line turing into a chiro office yesterday. Noticed no plate right away looked to check his rear plate as I passed.

Stands out like a sore thumb.

On a side note I got pulled over at 5 am on the way to Pearson last month for having light tinted plate covers on my SAAB. Which I purchased at CT.

Old 03-01-2016, 09:48 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by moab
no way that is legal. you can't just print a plate at home and stick it on your car. the plate has to be issued by the ministry.
That plate looks great and a cop probably couldn't tell if it's real or fake. It is illegal though.
At one of the PCA socials a couple of years ago they had Hugh Smith from Toronto Police. Alot of questions were asked regarding front plates. The one thing I remember was anything but the actual plate was illegal.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:57 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 141 Likes on 70 Posts

While it may help avoid you getting a drive by stop as a quick glance could fool them if you get stopped for anything else and they see it chaching.

Quick Reply: Warning re front license plate