Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Rennlist Canada (https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-canada-98/)
-   -   Warning re front license plate (https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-canada/918515-warning-re-front-license-plate.html)

Gear Rower 02-13-2016 09:43 PM

Warning re front license plate

Hey guys,

Just a heads-up that there must have been a recent discussion amongst our provincial (Ontario) LEOs regarding absent front license plates.

After months of driving without a front plate without issue (and passing through numerous RIDE programs, etc), I have been stopped no less than 3 (!) times in the past 5 days by three different officers for the sole reason of not having a front plate mounted. Two warnings and one fine as a result, not to mention to pain-in-the-ass hassle of being pulled over.

I changed my front bumper to the Sport Design last autumn and was (honestly) planning on getting a tow-hook plate mount after the winter weather settled down, but I've now placed my order and will be mounting my plate up asap. It's REALLY not worth the hassle or fines.

Safe driving out there.

Pags993 02-13-2016 09:52 PM

About time they start cracking down, we live in a province that requires them, period. This one has never made any sense to me where people would be willing to take the risk and pay fine after fine.

ags28 02-13-2016 09:58 PM

Here in California, two of the biggest "cop magnets" are no front plate and tinted windows. I just don't want to give them any reason to pull me over!:surr:

moab 02-13-2016 10:52 PM

I won't put on a front plate. No chance. Stupid law and I'll pay the fine if necessary.

Imo000 02-13-2016 10:58 PM

I lost mine 12 years ago somewhere on the 401. Got one ticket 3 years ago $125 and was warned going through a ride program the year before.

993GT 02-13-2016 11:25 PM

I've never had a front plate on my 911, by circumstance initially and never ended up putting one on... so far 1 'warning' while driving down our main street by a local LEO....I drive everywhere without issue...think LEO's are smart and realise is a fairly unique/obvious vehicle (not a beige Camry, white Malibu, black 3 series, etc), and new plate readers catch the back plate anyways...

John Elliot 02-14-2016 12:04 AM

I paid for two, so I use both of them.

993GT 02-14-2016 12:18 AM

The way licensing costs are going, I'm surprised Ontario isn't charging the same(or more) and only giving out one plate... more for less! :to_order:

Originally Posted by John Elliot (Post 13015093)
I paid for two, so I use both of them.

Ronan 02-14-2016 09:38 AM

Never understood this. Maybe because I grew up in Europe. Nobody bothers in Germany and I generally have my car drilled for temporary plates when I pick it up there. It's just one other thing to get nailed for and if you get a speeding stop it just makes it unlikely you will get any break.

Gregster 02-14-2016 09:56 AM

One bonus of living in QC...

Turbodan 02-14-2016 10:03 AM

they want it on so they can zap you with laser radar.
I would rather have the police enforce other laws like driving under the speed limit in the left lane:)

kkabba 02-14-2016 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Pags993
About time they start cracking down, we live in a province that requires them, period. This one has never made any sense to me where people would be willing to take the risk and pay fine after fine. :rolleyes:

What benefit do you suggest we as a province will gain from "cracking down" on this silly law? What never made sense to me is why we need 2 plates and why people don't question silly antiquated laws.

Pags993 02-14-2016 10:25 AM

You may consider it a "silly law" but it's still a law and one that's been in place since 1903. Enjoy your protest fee of $125 per instance. :bigbye:

993GT 02-14-2016 10:29 AM

Porsche does a much cleaner job of integrating front Euro style short-wide plates vs the N.A. tall-narrow plates.

Originally Posted by Ronan (Post 13015513)
Never understood this. Maybe because I grew up in Europe. Nobody bothers in Germany and I generally have my car drilled for temporary plates when I pick it up there. It's just one other thing to get nailed for and if you get a speeding stop it just makes it unlikely you will get any break.

Imo000 02-14-2016 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Turbodan (Post 13015557)
they want it on so they can zap you with laser radar.
I would rather have the police enforce other laws like driving under the speed limit in the left lane:)

The law has been around looking before laser radar and driving in any lane over the speed limit is still illegal.