Notices

Warning re front license plate

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 12:40 PM
fanny bay r1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been running this fender eliminator for years on my R1, illegal as hell but knock on wood no tickets yet!!!

Old 02-15-2016, 01:28 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 325 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacura
2 problems with the tow hook solution. First,it interferes with my front proximity sensor. Secondly, it is horribly ugly. So ugly, that I would (and did) drill into the front bumper for the normal plate mount. If the law changes to eliminate the front plate (which will hopefully happen) I will go to Pfaff auto body and have it repaired. /shrug.
While the appearance is a matter of personal taste the parking sensor thing is not an issue... there are a few options out there that drop the plate down a bit to clear the parking sensor. I used the Rho-Plate v2 with the extender piece and it works great. Pic below, I think it looks fine or at minimum I've gotten used to it.

Old 02-15-2016, 03:37 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 108 Posts

Selling mine if anyone is interested, located in Ottawa, Ontario:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/a...ml#post4468288
Old 02-16-2016, 04:22 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 573 Likes on 342 Posts

i did a 3$ modification my oem plate bracket so that

- had to just drill a few holes into the license plate cover as well as pre-drill 4 holes under the bumper face area (all areas you can't see).

- it mounts from the bottom of the bumper face that you can't see (no unsightly bumper screw holes if for whatever reason you need to take off the front plate. ie. taking photos)

- mounts from 4 screws (2 oem screws + 2 concrete longer screws from home depot), eliminating any floppy movement so that it stays as solid as the oem mounting position in the front

- a few pieces of velcro padded tape on the inside of the oem screw mount points (no way the plate bracket can scratch the bumper this way)

i considered buying the aftermarket mounts (my friends have them) but either it was a pita to get them be aligned perfectly straight when the oem plate brackets have the notch in it where its impossible to misalign anything.

for those that want help with it, PM me (i may even have concrete screws left that you can can have for free)... i can send you a video via what app as i don't think i can upload a video here.
Attached Images    
Old 02-17-2016, 01:58 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Two options:

1. FOLLOW THE LAW! You don't get to pick and choose what laws you want to follow and which ones you don't. Seems like a lot of people on here like interacting with the popo and handing over hard-earned money to the government, just so they can be rebellious.

2. Petition the provincial government to change the law if YOU THINK it's antiquated. Hope you have sufficient data to back up your claim or they will simply throw it into the garbage.

I rather stay the hell away from the popo and give them no excuse what-so-ever to pull me over. Being a biker all my life has taught me that giving the popo an excuse to pull you over is plain stupid.

Originally Posted by Pags993
You may consider it a "silly law" but it's still a law and one that's been in place since 1903. Enjoy your protest fee of $125 per instance.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:16 PM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 651 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by 997_Toronto
Two options:

1. FOLLOW THE LAW! You don't get to pick and choose what laws you want to follow and which ones you don't. Seems like a lot of people on here like interacting with the popo and handing over hard-earned money to the government, just so they can be rebellious.

2. Petition the provincial government to change the law if YOU THINK it's antiquated. Hope you have sufficient data to back up your claim or they will simply throw it into the garbage.

I rather stay the hell away from the popo and give them no excuse what-so-ever to pull me over. Being a biker all my life has taught me that giving the popo an excuse to pull you over is plain stupid.
how about a third option... ignore it if you don't like it. people ignore (trivial) laws all the time, e.g., jay walking, etc. If the legislature is too stupid or lazy to change an asinine law, then I am going to ignore it myself and I am prepared to suffer the consequences if I get busted. I'm not going to be some lemming if I don't agree with some archaic law and if my non-compliance with said law doesn't cause anyone harm.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:19 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Jaywalking is not a trivial law. I might be the only person on this board that has been handed a Jaywalking ticket in Toronto

Ignore at your own risk, I would say. We all like to have 'fun' in our cars and if I can avoid giving the popo an excuse to pull me over while having said 'fun' it doesn't cost me anything additional.

To each his own, live and let live. Next time you have an $125 to donate to the government, please give it to a charity instead

Originally Posted by moab
how about a third option... ignore it if you don't like it. people ignore (trivial) laws all the time, e.g., jay walking, etc. If the legislature is too stupid or lazy to change an asinine law, then I am going to ignore it myself and I am prepared to suffer the consequences if I get busted. I'm not going to be some lemming if I don't agree with some archaic law and if my non-compliance with said law doesn't cause anyone harm.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:59 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

I gave a TO cop the excuse he needed to pull me over (in my previous NSX) once for not having a front plate. That wasnt the only ticket that I got on the side of the road that day, but even then I was thankful that the cop didnt notice the slew of potential additional tickets he could have issued me right then and there. Very possible my car could have been towed away had this clown of a cop with an attitude been more observant.

Ive had a front plate on ever since.

I normally have no problem with the police - this guy was something special - those are the types who are looking for an excuse to pull you over.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:02 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

I work for the government so part my $125 ticket went back into my pocket.

Last edited by Imo000; 02-18-2016 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:20 PM
PPo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you not want a front plate because your concerned about the aero disadvantage when racing guys in Civics? Or is it that the front plate doesn't match your dress?

;-)
Old 02-18-2016, 02:28 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 573 Likes on 342 Posts

+911... doesn't look right (to me) to have an unsymmetrical front end with the plate to the side, and for some reason also reminds me of the integra/prelude era when we were kids. nothing beats oem imo.

Originally Posted by Bacura
2 problems with the tow hook solution. First,it interferes with my front proximity sensor. Secondly, it is horribly ugly. So ugly, that I would (and did) drill into the front bumper for the normal plate mount. If the law changes to eliminate the front plate (which will hopefully happen) I will go to Pfaff auto body and have it repaired. /shrug.
Attached Images  
Old 02-18-2016, 02:33 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by 997_Toronto
Two options:

and did you actually use the word " popo " ??? 3 times even ???
Old 02-18-2016, 02:47 PM
fanny bay r1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by theiceman
and did you actually use the word " popo " ??? 3 times even ???

You get extra street cred if you use "popo" three times in any given post!! BTW popo, popo!!
Old 02-18-2016, 03:06 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fanny bay r1
You get extra street cred if you use "popo" three times in any given post!! BTW popo, popo!!
Meh, popo means Grandmother, you guys related to me.
Old 02-18-2016, 04:55 PM
DES GTS
Pro

Received 172 Likes on 107 Posts

What about all the drivers (and there are more than just a few) who put their plates under dark smoked covers so the plates aren't visible unless you're shining a huge flashlight directly in front of them in broad daylight.

To me, that's far worse than having a clearly visible rear plate and no front plate.

Quick Reply: Warning re front license plate