Notices

(OT) Local Help Needed - Montreal !

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 01:39 PM
NewToThis
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default (OT) Local Help Needed - Montreal !

I am going to surprise my wife for her Bday in early April and go to Montreal & Q City.

We will fly from Chicago to Montreal - hire a car - drive to Q City.

I have booked a few nights at the Frontenac in Q City - but I am asking what hotel you might recommend in Montreal - (FYI - I am not too worried about the price). I am thinking about a smaller upscale hotel/inn.

Thanks Guys -
Old 02-07-2016, 02:26 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

There's an awesome little B&B called the Auberge Les Bons Matins that we always stay at. It's not at all central, but there's a subway stop just a minute or 2 away on foot, and it's very quiet at night (compared to being downtown). http://www.bonsmatins.com/home

The breakfast is excellent. It used to be stellar, but it's not quite as good as it once was.
Old 02-07-2016, 02:33 PM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have stayed at the Saint Sulpice (www.lesaintsulpice.com) in the old Montreal many times and highly recommend it.
Old 02-07-2016, 02:51 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 67 Posts

^ +1, highly recommend. Enjoy the trip! I also really like Hotel Nelligan, I think they are both owned by the same group.

Last edited by Pags993; 02-07-2016 at 03:16 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 03:06 PM
PPo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will most likely love old town Montreal and Quebec City... both are awesome places to visit. It might still snow in April on the drive to Quebec City... no, I am not joking...
Old 02-07-2016, 03:21 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 128 Posts

You could always hotwire old Montreal.. The 4 or 5 star is either going to the W, Intercontinental or Place D'armes hotel. Weather in early April will be perfect walking weather, to be honest it's been a very mild winter this year.

For food in the area Modavie, Garde Manger, Le Serpent, Boris Bistro(call before as the winter hours are odd), Da Emma(Menu has been the same for ages) or even Gibby's. Maybe lunch at Brit and Chips. After dinner drinks Philemon(one of my usual haunts), Santos or Joverse. Gifftntown is not that far of a walk from Old Montreal, Nora Gray, Le Richmond, Le Bureau, Grinder, Le Boucan. A few friends of mine own a Filipino resto "Junoir", not fancy but just good honest food. Burgundy Lion Pub could also be another spot for brunch and they have a great collection of Scotch, another usual haunt. Avoid Joe Beef at all costs !
Old 02-07-2016, 05:03 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregster
Avoid Joe Beef at all costs !
Really. I've had several fantastic meals at Joe Beef + Liverpool House and it is widely considered one of the best restaurants in Canada... and it actually made the World's Best Restaurant list for 2015.

Not to completely sidetrack this thread but would be interested in why you'd suggest someone not try and visit one of the best restaurants in town...
Old 02-07-2016, 07:35 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

I third the recommendation to stay in the old port of Montreal, but if you choose to stay downtown, I like Le Germaine.

I love Garde Mange also. You will need to make a reservation well ahead!!!

I liked Joe Beef. I'd avoid Queue de Chevale
Old 02-08-2016, 09:32 AM
NewToThis
Advanced

Thanks for your help guys -

FYI - I phoned HOTEL NELLIGAN last night and booked two nights there. The fellow at their front desk told me if I booked "direct with the hotel" and not through a 3rd party web site that he would throw in a free breakfast (value CAD $25 x 2 = $50!) each day!

Lastly, I am doing my best to learn french - "I vais avoir une autre biere...!"
Old 02-08-2016, 11:59 AM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 598 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by NewToThis
Thanks for your help guys -

FYI - I phoned HOTEL NELLIGAN last night and booked two nights there. The fellow at their front desk told me if I booked "direct with the hotel" and not through a 3rd party web site that he would throw in a free breakfast (value CAD $25 x 2 = $50!) each day!

Lastly, I am doing my best to learn french - "I vais avoir une autre biere...!"
I stayed at Hotel Nelligan last winter. Cool little hotel in a very quaint area. I don't know Montreal that well but I really liked the location. We went to a very good restaurant down the street from the hotel called Barroco. It was excellent.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:37 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vise
Really. I've had several fantastic meals at Joe Beef + Liverpool House and it is widely considered one of the best restaurants in Canada... and it actually made the World's Best Restaurant list for 2015.

Not to completely sidetrack this thread but would be interested in why you'd suggest someone not try and visit one of the best restaurants in town...
Having been there twice I left unsatisfied. I will always give a resto a 2nd chance but never a 3rd. The food was good but not "mind blowing" as everyone makes it out to be. I feel the "greatest resto" part comes from a massive PR machine behind it. Maybe it's because I eat out often or because I live here but to me and several friends it's become a tourist trap. Again not saying it's a bad place but rather just much too hyped up. Les Deux Singes de Montarvie in Mile-End would have to be my top pick for the mind blowing side of food.

Name:  IMG_20150430_222333_zpsjqqrsbjn.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  91.6 KB
Old 02-08-2016, 05:20 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregster
Having been there twice I left unsatisfied. I will always give a resto a 2nd chance but never a 3rd. The food was good but not "mind blowing" as everyone makes it out to be. I feel the "greatest resto" part comes from a massive PR machine behind it. Maybe it's because I eat out often or because I live here but to me and several friends it's become a tourist trap. Again not saying it's a bad place but rather just much too hyped up. Les Deux Singes de Montarvie in Mile-End would have to be my top pick for the mind blowing side of food.
Cool, thanks for sharing your thoughts. Agree to disagree on Joe Beef... I'm a fairly hardcore food/restaurant geek and from everything I've read David/Fred come off as extremely genuine and are of course very well respected in the food scene. Plus our meals at their spots have certainly been memorable. I don't get any heavy PR vibe from them either but that is just me... plus I also live in Toronto.

On that note if you haven't you might want to check out Liverpool House, it is a couple doors over from Joe Beef and the food is excellent... low key and not high end fine dining in any way but certainly elevated/memorable cuisine.

Thread highjack over...
Old 02-08-2016, 06:07 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vise
Cool, thanks for sharing your thoughts. Agree to disagree on Joe Beef... I'm a fairly hardcore food/restaurant geek and from everything I've read David/Fred come off as extremely genuine and are of course very well respected in the food scene. Plus our meals at their spots have certainly been memorable. I don't get any heavy PR vibe from them either but that is just me... plus I also live in Toronto.

On that note if you haven't you might want to check out Liverpool House, it is a couple doors over from Joe Beef and the food is excellent... low key and not high end fine dining in any way but certainly elevated/memorable cuisine.

Thread highjack over...
I don't mind at all! I love talking about restos and getting different opinions
Old 04-03-2016, 11:11 AM
NewToThis
Advanced

Returned from Montreal and QC. Hotel Nelligan was a great spot. Nice location and the staff was very helpful. We went to 2 wonderful dinner spots - one was Modavie in Old Montreal. We had one of the better meals that I can ever remember having - a Duck w/couscous (sp?).

We took the Via Rail train to QC - stayed at the Chateau F. For CAD $400/night I thought it was just "OK". When we go back next time to QC we would opt'd for a B & B - Some very good spots for a dinner on St. Joseph St.

I was surprised as to how much snow was still on the ground in Q City. I was talking with a guy who lived in Alma Q - who told me that there was still 4-5 feet of snow there...

Last edited by NewToThis; 04-03-2016 at 01:22 PM. Reason: spelling !

Quick Reply: (OT) Local Help Needed - Montreal !