Notices

Uber Taxi strike

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 11:25 PM
Pferrf1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JimV8
Most of the Cabbies rent their cars from the companies who lease the licenses from several individuals who over the years bought them all up. They cost about $150 per year payable to the City, but the street price of them is well over $100K. Thats why Cab fares are high. Drivers are lucky to make minimum wage.
I think the license 'investors' are the only reason the adaptation to the über model is taking so long.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:34 PM
boman993
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

The protest is a farce ~ someone call a whaaaambulance!

I haven't been in a regular cab since Uber first fired up the service in Toronto. I will never go back to taxis nor will my entire office. We travel often for client meetings all across the city and we have yet to have a bad Uber experience. It's always a friendly driver, with a clean car, who knows where they're going and best of all, there is no awkward BS with fares or tipping.

This week, I finally tried UberEats....prepare to have your mind blown. Today's lunch was from Momofuku (for 12 dollars delivered to my office) it was to die for!

Old 12-09-2015, 11:49 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 83 Posts

I agree with a lot of the comments made but one point that is constantly overlooked is commercial insurance. I would be willing to bet the overwhelming majority of Uber drivers in TO do not have commercial ins due to the cost.

If you are injured and the driver lacks commercial ins you are SOL! It happened already in TO, ins found out after the collision he was an Uber driver for hire with a fare and promptly told the Uber driver vehicle owner and his passenger to pound salt.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:34 AM
breakfast
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I support both sides.

I feel for them losing their lively hood. At least they are standing up for themselves unlike what most other canadians would do...which would be quietly taking from behind.

However its clear their industry is in a massive need for an overhaul. And uber is potentially the way forward. Though that is a very good point about commercial insurance.

Edit: I do find it interesting how driving a taxi(for uber) is now seen as somewhat desirable job, when taxi driving (At least for quite some time) wasnt exactly something someone wanted to be part of. So the job was filled with mostly immigrants.
Are people going to be fighting to work at Tim Hortons soon too?
Old 12-10-2015, 12:58 AM
Pags993
Drifting

I think it is based on the ability to turn off / turn on vs being stuck in in cab for an entire shift. I figure a lot of people are dabbling in addition to their full time gig. We revised our employment contracts for TSM's driving company vehicles, we catch you Ubering and you are done on the spot.

Last edited by Pags993; 12-10-2015 at 09:14 AM.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:06 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 340 Likes on 245 Posts

TSM?

Uber is to the taxi industry as what iTunes was for the record industry.

Uber doesn't have insurance to cover passengers?
Old 12-10-2015, 10:13 AM
go-ran
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

The cost of the actual TAXI LiCENCE is something funny like under $1000 from the city. There are ao few handed out each year and the wait list is something like 20 years or more. The second hand market for taxi licences is the killer.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:13 AM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 304 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
The taxi industry needs uber and other competition to take away their monopoly with dirty smelly cars, rude drivers that don't speak english, and are not accommodating.
the owners of the licenses have been making money hand over fist, they will not suffer. things change deal with it.
+1. This whole insurance thing is a red herring is it not? OHIP and your private insurance covers you not the cabbie's insurance.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:56 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 311 Likes on 214 Posts

Why don't the cabby's just start "Ubering"?
Old 12-10-2015, 11:29 AM
Pags993
Drifting

TSM is a fancy term for Sales Rep, Territory Sales Manager

http://business.financialpost.com/ne...of-an-accident

http://www.kennedyinsurance.ca/uber-...-consequences/

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/06/29...ve-you-covered
Old 12-10-2015, 11:57 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

- No one in this world guarantees that you should have a job even if that industry is overtaken by technological advancements. I've changed careers three times because of technology. No one saved my a$$ - I had to do that.

- My daughter tells me that some cabbies are the scariest dudes around downtown after midnight and a few like to take 'advantage' of drunk women alone. She never lets her female friends get into a cab alone and has since stopped taking them and uses UberX. She has great things to say about the service.

- The maintenance standards between the two services is worlds apart. See my post on the new MTO safety standards coming and my comment about 'greasing mechanics palms'. This is a real issue with cab inspections and POS taxi's getting out on the street.

- The Toronto Alderman that is on the take for the taxi industry should be criminally investigated.

- The issue of cabbies dumping people out onto the street and refusing service because they are only going a few miles (and getting shot after) or because they are black should be investigated.

- The practice of allowing non drivers to hold a cab license should be ended even if it costs the public a big court fight and legal bill.

On the flip side...

- Uber pays no federal income tax - it all goes offshore.

- Uber pays no benefits and or Provincially and Federally mandated premiums.

-Uber refuses to register its insurance company with the Superintendent of Insurance in Ontario.

- Uber only covers the driver WHEN a client is actually in the car. This coverage is under debate as it violates the Insurance Act. The net affect is that the Uber drivers Ontario based insurance company can and has ended their coverage. The minute that an Uber driver leaves his driveway they are not covered (Illegal) and it is a retroactive action in that as soon as they find out you are with Uber, that accident you have had is not covered and you are now open season to the Diamond and Diamond type legal firms. This has already happened.

- How many Uber drivers are declaring Uber driving as taxable income? As a taxpayer, this underground economy alarms me for the future.

In summation:

- Both industries have to change - both have faults.

- The taxi 'barons' have to get kicked to the curb.

- The current taxi drivers have to get into the new world and compete.

- The millennials in California running Uber have to adhere to a fair and balanced competitive marketplace as ALL other businesses must, or suffer the legal consequences.

- There is nothing to stop local cabbies from being they're own independent businessmen not held hostage to these taxi cartel owners and THIS is what panics the company owners as they see the gig is up for them.

- Yes, Uber ISN'T a ride sharing service - it IS a transportation BUSINESS.

Its time both business were cleaned up and out of both, come a NEW service.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:10 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
Why don't the cabby's just start "Ubering"?
Funny you mentioned this. My last 3 UBER rides were, becks cabs?
The number that I would like to see stated.
How many UBER drivers are also registered TAXI cabs?
I always get a kick out out monopolies protesting competition.
If the paying customers were happy with the disgusting filthy smelly CO2 filled cabs we currently have. There would be no successful business model for challenging the service.
What ever happened to " you can have any colour you like, as long as it's black?" H.F.
How is it I call BECKS for a pick up, it is a 30-40 minute pick up?
I call UBER, it's 5-8 and I get full tracking of where my cab is.
I call BECKS, the car is beat up, the shocks are toast, the sway bar bushing sound like they are going to pound trough the floor boards, the check engine light is on, and the cabin is filled with co2. I have a headache for the rest of the night, and want to barf. I call BECKS in the morning with my ride time, cab number and complain. Nothing.
I took a cab last week from CN tower to yonge 401. $38 bucks with tip.
I'll call UBER next time to compare.
Downtown was a shipshow yesterday. Cabs blocking traffic and protesting everywhere. They were holding the city hostage.
UBER did't block anything.
So who is like ISIS again?
Old 12-10-2015, 12:44 PM
PPo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the business model for an Uber driver actually sustainable? I dislike that they do NOT pay income tax...

If we want a large group of unemployed majority muslim men hating the world and located in Toronto, having Uber destroy the Taxi industry is a great way to accomplish just that... recent history alludes that this may not be a good thing.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:49 PM
breakfast
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PPo

If we want a large group of unemployed majority muslim men hating the world and located in Toronto, having Uber destroy the Taxi industry is a great way to accomplish just that... recent history alludes that this may not be a good thing.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:52 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
- No one in this world guarantees that you should have a job even if that industry is overtaken by technological advancements. I've changed careers three times because of technology. No one saved my a$$ - I had to do that.

- My daughter tells me that some cabbies are the scariest dudes around downtown after midnight and a few like to take 'advantage' of drunk women alone. She never lets her female friends get into a cab alone and has since stopped taking them and uses UberX. She has great things to say about the service.

- The maintenance standards between the two services is worlds apart. See my post on the new MTO safety standards coming and my comment about 'greasing mechanics palms'. This is a real issue with cab inspections and POS taxi's getting out on the street.

- The Toronto Alderman that is on the take for the taxi industry should be criminally investigated.

- The issue of cabbies dumping people out onto the street and refusing service because they are only going a few miles (and getting shot after) or because they are black should be investigated.

- The practice of allowing non drivers to hold a cab license should be ended even if it costs the public a big court fight and legal bill.

On the flip side...

- Uber pays no federal income tax - it all goes offshore.

- Uber pays no benefits and or Provincially and Federally mandated premiums.

-Uber refuses to register its insurance company with the Superintendent of Insurance in Ontario.

- Uber only covers the driver WHEN a client is actually in the car. This coverage is under debate as it violates the Insurance Act. The net affect is that the Uber drivers Ontario based insurance company can and has ended their coverage. The minute that an Uber driver leaves his driveway they are not covered (Illegal) and it is a retroactive action in that as soon as they find out you are with Uber, that accident you have had is not covered and you are now open season to the Diamond and Diamond type legal firms. This has already happened.

- How many Uber drivers are declaring Uber driving as taxable income? As a taxpayer, this underground economy alarms me for the future.

In summation:

- Both industries have to change - both have faults.

- The taxi 'barons' have to get kicked to the curb.

- The current taxi drivers have to get into the new world and compete.

- The millennials in California running Uber have to adhere to a fair and balanced competitive marketplace as ALL other businesses must, or suffer the legal consequences.

- There is nothing to stop local cabbies from being they're own independent businessmen not held hostage to these taxi cartel owners and THIS is what panics the company owners as they see the gig is up for them.

- Yes, Uber ISN'T a ride sharing service - it IS a transportation BUSINESS.

Its time both business were cleaned up and out of both, come a NEW service.
I find so many of your posts make well-reasoned arguments and are presented very effectively. Your conclusions here are balanced and, in my view, spot-on.

Could not agree more with every point you stated.

Quick Reply: Uber Taxi strike