Notices

996 engine failure, seeking advice on shipping car to US for repairs

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 08:05 PM
rotorite
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 996 engine failure, seeking advice on shipping car to US for repairs

Long story short, over winter cylinders 4, 5, and 6 were scored on the thrust face: confirmed by a bore scope.

After test driving several other cars (S2000s and BRZs), that I felt would be fun to drive, but in the end decided to rebuild my 4S.

I had done some investigation into the costs for a stock rebuild locally vs alternatives, and ultimately came to the conclusion of going with a Stage II engine from Flat6 Innovations.

I am in the process of looking into shipping options to ship the whole car to them from Edmonton AB and would like to ask anyone if they have any experience or recommendations in how to cost effectively and safely ship my car to Jake's shop for later this year.

Thank you in advance for any replies.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:32 PM
crooster
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I would suggest asking Jake Raby who he recommends. He deals with shipping cars to/from his shop all the time.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:04 PM
rotorite
Advanced

Originally Posted by crooster
I would suggest asking Jake Raby who he recommends. He deals with shipping cars to/from his shop all the time.
Thank you crooster, I am in contact with Jud at his shop regarding options as well, but wanted to reach out to see if anyone else had experience doing this from Canada
Old 05-13-2015, 09:11 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by rotorite
Thank you crooster, I am in contact with Jud at his shop regarding options as well, but wanted to reach out to see if anyone else had experience doing this from Canada
I talked to Jake a while ago. My car is still drivable and the cheapest way is to drive over the border and then ship from the states but you may not have that ability.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:52 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

Ask Zookie (and tell him I sent you)
he had the engine removed and drove it down in the back of a small suv.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:06 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
Ask Zookie (and tell him I sent you)
he had the engine removed and drove it down in the back of a small suv.
Jake wants the car, he breaks the engine in, does the first oil changes and dynos it. Zookie's work was no where near what flats six does and that type of work can be done by local shop but with the dollar so expensive now probably better to keep it local.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:05 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,024 Likes on 728 Posts

well i guess you can speak to zookies guy and flat six and decide what you need and what the price points are ...

But just to stir it up i think you are lying .. this is all internet hype and is vastly overblown ...

good luck , there are some good people out there and some great advice in here. This is a heart wrenching problem that many on this forum have gone through so pay close attention.

Last edited by theiceman; 05-15-2015 at 08:54 AM.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:46 AM
Muskoka
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 88 Posts

I used Hansen's Forwarding to ship my car. They had good service, and they offer to pick it up at your door (with a tow truck). I believe they ship to most locations in the U.S. Might not be the most cost effective option, but they are quality people to deal with.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:18 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

US dollar is below 1.20 today. time to go shopping.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:51 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

We only accept full cars here for reconstructions. Shipping is easy; Jud handles it all for you and you can pay the trucking company direct, for the best price. We have 5 Canadian cars here now, all of them will be shipped in, and back out when completed.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:20 PM
rotorite
Advanced

Thanks for the suggestions so far everyone! I will follow up with Hansen's to see about pricing, however so far it seems the most cost effective way is to get my car across into the states somehow and ship it from there.

Haha only if the US dollar could get to 1.1 again :S

Thanks for replying Jake, I had spoken with you about the details of the build and will be shipping the whole car to you. The date I have to have my car to you isn't until later this year so I am just working in parallel with Jud to look at viable and cost effective options to get my car to you.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:41 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Thanks for the suggestions so far everyone! I will follow up with Hansen's to see about pricing, however so far it seems the most cost effective way is to get my car across into the states somehow and ship it from there.

Haha only if the US dollar could get to 1.1 again :S

Thanks for replying Jake, I had spoken with you about the details of the build and will be shipping the whole car to you. The date I have to have my car to you isn't until later this year so I am just working in parallel with Jud to look at viable and cost effective options to get my car to you.
Ok. At this stage schedule wise, the most important factor is starting the admin process with my proposal.

We've sold 5 engines this week and I am back at 13 months again for completions, so I'll probably freeze the line for a few months after next week so we can catch up.

If you can get the car across the border yourself, everything becomes 1/2 price and is 5X easier from a shipping perspective.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:55 PM
rotorite
Advanced

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Ok. At this stage schedule wise, the most important factor is starting the admin process with my proposal.

We've sold 5 engines this week and I am back at 13 months again for completions, so I'll probably freeze the line for a few months after next week so we can catch up.

If you can get the car across the border yourself, everything becomes 1/2 price and is 5X easier from a shipping perspective.
Hey Jake, yes the proposal was signed and first payment is on its way to you via FedEx right now.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:26 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

What about considering paying duty on the work and also duty on the increased value of the car? There was a case here on RL where the person got heavily dinged not only for the GST on the work done to the engine but also for the value of the vehicle going up because of the work that was done to it while it was in the US.
Old 05-15-2015, 02:39 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Hey Jake, yes the proposal was signed and first payment is on its way to you via FedEx right now.
Ok, now I know who you are :-)

One of the 5!

Quick Reply: 996 engine failure, seeking advice on shipping car to US for repairs