Notices

Vintage Track Day?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 12:37 AM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vintage Track Day?

Is there such an offering? Lets say I have an nice older sports car. I wouldn't want to trash it around a track per se, but I wouldn't mind some spirited driving, for fun, at a much more relaxed pace, among similar category/year range cars.

Have you heard of anything like that?
Old 09-17-2014, 11:24 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

This would be so cool and has been discussed with me and myself. lol

Getting tired of Gt3's and Turbo's passing you?

Problem is it would have to be well organized with insurance etc.

Pretty hard getting that many classics with advanced drivers.

If you do, I'm in!
Old 09-17-2014, 11:53 AM
cash-man
Rennlist Member

There were a bunch older cars at the last Porsche of London track day (928, 3.2's, 964, etc.) at Grand Bend. They all ran in the advanced class.

From what the day costs, as well as their lapping day rates, it might be worth giving Grand Bend a call to see what day rental rates would run. I don't think it would be too hard to garner interest from some like minded folk around here (wish I had a car to join in..... one day!).
Old 09-17-2014, 05:44 PM
DarrenD
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd be interested. Being a 944 N/A guy means getting run over at Mosport. Running with some older, lower powered equipment but still at a good pace would be great fun.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:09 PM
bmichael
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1990964C4
Is there such an offering? Lets say I have an nice older sports car. I wouldn't want to trash it around a track per se, but I wouldn't mind some spirited driving, for fun, at a much more relaxed pace, among similar category/year range cars.

Have you heard of anything like that?
Hey Stan, Where's that itch coming from? Is your project car closer to being on the roar than we thought?
Old 09-17-2014, 06:34 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by DarrenD
I'd be interested. Being a 944 N/A guy means getting run over at Mosport.
Yeah but it also means making them scheisse their pants when they see you bearing down on them in the corners
Old 09-17-2014, 09:15 PM
DarrenD
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Christien
Yeah but it also means making them scheisse their pants when they see you bearing down on them in the corners
LOL. True.

I am hoping with my new supercharger setup getting run over won't be such an issue anymore.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:58 PM
John Elliot
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would love to run my 09 Base Boxster (not old enough?). Perhaps we could run a Group of Cars up to 275 HP (other suggestions welcome) at future Porsche of London Events or get a group together and ask TMP or Grand Bend Raceway if we could run?
Old 09-17-2014, 11:32 PM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Why do you feel you can't run your car in a mixed group? I drove my 255HP Boxtster comfortably with Apex and Sixth Gear. The events were safe, courteous and very enjoyable.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:19 AM
John Elliot
Racer

I have driven my Boxster with mixed groups, I did last Thursday at the Bend, I usually run my Cayman R or S2000 CR. I just like to have any excuse to get more Track Time.

Any suggestions that get more people out to the Tracks ( some maybe for the first time ) is fine with me. This is probably more targeted to get Porsche Owners out who have not been on a track or who only occasionally go.

This Forum is titled Vintage so perhaps some people would prefer to restrict it by Year?
Old 09-18-2014, 08:07 AM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by John Elliot
I would love to run my 09 Base Boxster (not old enough?). Perhaps we could run a Group of Cars up to 275 HP (other suggestions welcome) at future Porsche of London Events or get a group together and ask TMP or Grand Bend Raceway if we could run?
If I think of vintage, I'm thinking of difficult to replace/repair, hard to find parts, and people that have restored older cars who simply don't want to push them to 9/10th's and risk breaking stuff. I think I know where the OP is coming from. I had rebuilt just about everything on my Z car, and after a serious engine misshap at the track, I was pretty hesitant to go back out and push it hard, as I just didn't want to "break the car" again.
I haven't heard of an event specific for a more relaxed driving group other than newbie track days. I'm sure if there was enough interest someone could hold a "pace car" style spirited driving??? Just throwing out an idea
Old 09-18-2014, 08:24 AM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm sure if we had the interest, we could do a private event and rent the track for a day. We could organize the run groups by year/model. Put all the long hoods together, all the 914's together, all the sc/carrera's together, turbo's in another group etc...
Old 09-18-2014, 08:43 AM
wc11
Race Car

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

How old do you have to be to be considered "vintage"?
Or is that reserved for cars only?
Old 09-24-2014, 12:39 AM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
..Getting tired of Gt3's and Turbo's passing you? ...
Exactly

Originally Posted by cash-man
There were a bunch older cars at the last Porsche of London track day (928, 3.2's, 964, etc.) at Grand Bend. They all ran in the advanced class. ....
From my experience, running 964 along 997TTs/GT3s gets borring and I find myself pushing the car harder than I wanted.

Originally Posted by DarrenD
I'd be interested. Being a 944 N/A guy means getting run over at Mosport. Running with some older, lower powered equipment but still at a good pace would be great fun.
That is exactly what I am saying.

Originally Posted by bmichael
Hey Stan, Where's that itch coming from? Is your project car closer to being on the roar than we thought?
You are right on, my friend. You'll see me driving it next summer. I am just thinking ahead.

Originally Posted by John Elliot
I would love to run my 09 Base Boxster (not old enough?). Perhaps we could run a Group of Cars up to 275 HP (other suggestions welcome) ...
John, I ran my 04 Boxster S in advance group. Waaaay moar fun than my C4S. Boxster is an awesome car and definitely not vintage by any standard.

Originally Posted by Sir5n
Why do you feel you can't run your car in a mixed group? I drove my 255HP Boxtster comfortably with Apex and Sixth Gear. The events were safe, courteous and very enjoyable.
See above and bellow

Originally Posted by porsche0nut
I'm sure if we had the interest, we could do a private event and rent the track for a day. We could organize the run groups by year/model. Put all the long hoods together, all the 914's together, all the sc/carrera's together, turbo's in another group etc...
Jonathan, you read my mind

Originally Posted by wc11
How old do you have to be to be considered "vintage"?
Or is that reserved for cars only?
Will, I am sorry, you are overqualified

A few years ago I asked Clive why he doesn't track his car. His reply was that he hates to trash the car like that. I am sure he still occasionally "opens her up". Yet he does not want to subject the car to any extreme braking or red-lining. And that's understandable. Now that I know that my 912 will be ready next spring, I feel exactly like Clive. I dont really want to break any speed/time records in my 912. Instead I would love to get together with like minded people for a nice day at the track, just to let our cars stretch some legs and to socialize of course. I thought that the new DDT @ CTMP would be prefect for such a gathering.
This does not have to be limited to Porsches. Cars can be grouped by decades. Get BMW, MG, Triumph, Corvette, Mustang guys involved. Make a real vintage track day. Once a year maybe.
Arnaud, care to share what the costs involved in runnig such a thing?
Old 09-24-2014, 09:11 AM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd be interested in helping to put this together Stan.

Quick Reply: Vintage Track Day?