Notices

Vintage Track Day?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 08:29 PM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wc11
If this come to fruition, I'd love to come watch and take photos.
I'll bring an extra helmet and you can do more than just watch!
Old 09-26-2014, 08:26 AM
Jonathon Rolstin
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Haha that's awesome. Now that's something I would like to see: allowing to take passengers. I would love to be able to take my dad out in my car, but PCA doesn't allow it. If we ran our own event we could do this.

I think a rennlist trackday would be awesome...

I won't be at Mosport but am doing the Auto-X on the 5th. - Shakedown for Oct DE @ Mosport...

JR
Old 09-26-2014, 09:51 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

PCA is the only group I can think of that strictly forbids passengers. Most other groups allow them in some capacity, some with no restrictions at all. I've had passengers in my car many times. Depending on the person, it can be great feedback on your driving skills. If they're green and puking when you pull into the pits, you're doing well!
Old 09-26-2014, 10:29 AM
Jonathon Rolstin
Burning Brakes

Lmao, yea I've taken my share of people around at other track days as well. I wish PCA would change rules on this, or perhaps implement it at a higher run group level.

I guess the reasoning would be they are afraid of you showing off once you have a buddy in there.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:31 AM
Jonathon Rolstin
Burning Brakes

Now that I'm thinking of it, would be cool if they offered a 'parade lap' during lunch hour or something where anyone can take out passengers at a reasonable pace - perhaps have an instructor lead a pack and set the pace for you... but not too slow because that is boring!
Old 09-26-2014, 11:08 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 522 Likes on 391 Posts

PCA insurance does not allow passengers with the exception of instructors. In the past they have run charity laps at lunch to take family and friends out at a slower pace.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:46 PM
cash-man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Grand Bend allowed passengers, provided they also signed a waiver. I took my dad for one session..... He got more of a ride than expected
Old 09-26-2014, 01:48 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by cash-man
Grand Bend allowed passengers, provided they also signed a waiver. I took my dad for one session..... He got more of a ride than expected
why ? did he meet a girl there ?
Old 09-26-2014, 02:00 PM
cash-man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
why ? did he meet a girl there ?
hahaha... such a comedian. I don't think he's every felt track-speed before, especially the cornering. He was holding on for dear life He had enough after one session.
Old 09-26-2014, 02:03 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by cash-man
hahaha... such a comedian. I don't think he's every felt track-speed before, especially the cornering. He was holding on for dear life He had enough after one session.
A lot of people actually feel sick after such an experience , sounds like he did ok ..
Old 09-26-2014, 02:14 PM
Christien
Race Car

Originally Posted by Jonathon Rolstin
Now that I'm thinking of it, would be cool if they offered a 'parade lap' during lunch hour or something where anyone can take out passengers at a reasonable pace - perhaps have an instructor lead a pack and set the pace for you... but not too slow because that is boring!
The problem with that (at least at bigger tracks like Mosport) is the corner workers need a lunch break too, and without corner workers, things can get very dangerous.

I was at a 6th Gear day a few years ago and had some ignition troubles (had to get towed off from 2 when my car just died going up the hill into it). I fixed it and wanted to test the car, but not with other cars on the field, for safety and just so not to inconvenience anyone with another breakdown. They let me go at lunch, but with the understanding that I was to be the only vehicle out there and it would be well under speed, due to their being no corner workers.
Old 09-26-2014, 02:15 PM
Christien
Race Car

Originally Posted by Turbodan
PCA insurance does not allow passengers with the exception of instructors. In the past they have run charity laps at lunch to take family and friends out at a slower pace.
So why does PCA have different insurance than everyone else? The cost isn't any different than any other group when calculated as $/min of track time, so I wouldn't think they're paying any less for insurance.
Old 09-26-2014, 02:15 PM
Christien
Race Car

Originally Posted by theiceman
A lot of people actually feel sick after such an experience , sounds like he did ok ..
I do still to this day if I don't keep my eyes way far.

Quick Reply: Vintage Track Day?