Notices

Winter Storage

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2019, 04:16 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,416 Likes on 2,519 Posts

Originally Posted by Porto911
6 months. And I fuel it up with a empty tank, so all fuel in now is fresh from first week of October.. I was understanding from this person, as long as tank is totally full with good fuel and no air. It will be fine ..
That's a l o n g time. You need fuel stabilizer. Add 1ounce of the red StaBil per 2.5 gallons fuel (or 1 ounce per 10 gallons fuel of the green Marine StaBil). Let the car idle and circulate the fuel for about 15 minutes. Then shut down, and leave the car alone till April.
Old 10-28-2019, 04:40 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,172 Likes on 840 Posts

i put stabil in mine .. but one year i forgot and it started and ran just fine 6 months later ... so i really dont know . i think its more for peace of mind than anything.
Old 10-28-2019, 04:58 PM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Porto911
6 months. And I fuel it up with a empty tank, so all fuel in now is fresh from first week of October.. I was understanding from this person, as long as tank is totally full with good fuel and no air. It will be fine ..
i have never used stabilizer on any of my stored cars and have never had a problem. I put them to bed with full tanks. Either I'm just lucky or it's not required.
Old 10-28-2019, 05:06 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,416 Likes on 2,519 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaws1
i have never used stabilizer on any of my stored cars and have never had a problem. I put them to bed with full tanks. Either I'm just lucky or it's not required.
I think you guys up north have some prety good fuels, mostly ethanol free, or at least better access to ethanol free fuels vs the USA. That probably has a lot to do with it. Not sure exatcly where Porto911 resides.
Old 10-28-2019, 05:37 PM
Porto911
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
I think you guys up north have some prety good fuels, mostly ethanol free, or at least better access to ethanol free fuels vs the USA. That probably has a lot to do with it. Not sure exatcly where Porto911 resides.
lol.. I live in oil country, Alberta

Shell Premium fuel up here in Canada, I’m been told it has 0%Ethanol and best fuel for Porsche’s.

I appreciate all the feedback so far
Old 10-28-2019, 05:58 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

yeah that's what i always store with also, Shell premium no ethanol. I notice not the same south of the Border though.
I think in the US shell premium has ethanol.
Old 10-28-2019, 06:55 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 411 Posts

yeah definitely store with fuel and not empty. Air causes corrosion compared to no air. I stopped using stabil years ago and never had a problem.
Old 10-29-2019, 12:11 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 779 Posts

I always fill up with Shell Premium. Used to use Stabil but haven't for at least 2 years. No issue.

Though this year an 88 is already stored, so about 1.5 months longer than other cars.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:04 AM
Family Deboer
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jumper5836
I just leave my plugged in all the time. Use the nocos everyday as I don't drive the cars that much unless its to the track or a nice day for a drive. It does help extend the battery life. Before I was replacing a battery every two years as there is always battery drain from the alarm and gps units.
Is there a specific mode you use on the Noco for the winter storage? I just plugged it in, left on 12 V mode and it went up to 100% with the green light on. I assume its just maintaining the battery at that point? not overcharging? thanks for your help
Old 10-29-2019, 10:56 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

.... i rolled my car in last Saturday for the year .. I find as the car gets older and more and more drop out of existence to due accidents, age, etc, i feel more like a custodian of an iconic symbol than i do a car owner. With this comes the pressure to look after it and ge tit safely into storage every year. Its not like i can slap down money and they will build another one to replace it.
The old girl gave another year of trouble free motoring , changed the oil washed and dried, vacuumed it out and away she goes. battery is in my garage on a C-Tek winter mode till next spring...
Old 10-29-2019, 12:25 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 260 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Family Deboer
Is there a specific mode you use on the Noco for the winter storage? I just plugged it in, left on 12 V mode and it went up to 100% with the green light on. I assume its just maintaining the battery at that point? not overcharging? thanks for your help
I think what it does is cycle the battery up and down. I do not believe it will ever fully charge it to 100%, but I'm sure as part of the charging mechanism, it will roll the battery up and down between 70 - 100%. It would never over charge the battery, so you are okay. I would like to believe the green light indicates that the charger has brought the battery to a specific threshold as per design.
Old 10-29-2019, 01:00 PM
Porto911
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Would like to add a few more to the list of already to do list...

-small plate or pan of baking soda on passengers floor ( keep a clean fresh smell)
- clean and condition leather seats ( fresh new leather smell over winter)
-bounce dryer sheets in trunk and a couple in engine department
- windows roiled down 10-15 mm ( nice fresh air flow trough out cab
- 4 bars of Irish spring soap cut them in half and put them beside rims and underneath back and front of 911 ( keep mice away if any)
- car cover

and wait patiently till April!
Old 10-29-2019, 01:50 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

Stabilizer is more important for carburated engines than fuel injected would be my guess. The passages in carburetors can get clogged by bad fuel/varnish, but the pressure in the fuel injected systems can blow out the crap from the fuel nozzles.... not an engineer, nor play one on tv.

I use fuel stabilizer in the porsche for the last fillup and drive the 5 km home to mix it around...I take it off the road in November, and try to get it back on the road in March.

I keep 2 jerry cans of fuel in the garage for the mower, snowblower and motorcycle. Also as a supply to have on hand for a generator. I fill with 91 octane which in my area is pretty much guaranteed to be ethanol free and add the required stabilizer once I get home... Depending on the season, it might be 3 months before I finish a can of gas.
Old 10-30-2019, 04:29 PM
dml
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 26 Posts

Those are good ideas. I keep the windows up but use a silica gel to keep humidity down, which you can buy at Lee Valley.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:51 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 311 Likes on 214 Posts

Gas breaks down over time. Know fact. Fuel stabilizer helps stop this. Bad gas is not good for any motor. Spend the $4.00.

Quick Reply: Winter Storage