Notices

PCA?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 11:30 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 522 Likes on 391 Posts

Was at Mantis last night...great shop...really impressed...lots of nice race cars and innovative fabricated parts like carbon fiber rear wings for 944 that weighs about 7 pounds. I also have used their fire extinguisher mounts previously and they work well with no drilling.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:10 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Ernie J
MantisSport has fire extinguishers and brackets for all Porsche models.We even make custom for other makes.No drilling of car.
Well, there you go, I was wrong. Won't be the last time I have the Mantis mount in my 72, and it's excellent. The only downside is you lose maybe the last one or 2 notches of forward chair adjustment, but you're kissing the dashboard at that point anyway. My dad had a fire extinguisher installed at RSP in London in his 996 turbo, and they drilled that, so I assumed it couldn't be mounted in the chair bolts. Lesson learned: go to Mantis.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:44 PM
Neb
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 15 Posts

If you have a 996/997 this is a much better option, no drilling and can remove when you are not at the track.

https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...ceptacles.html
Old 07-18-2013, 12:51 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 522 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by Neb
If you have a 996/997 this is a much better option, no drilling and can remove when you are not at the track.

https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...ceptacles.html
it seems it would be pretty hard to reach in case you need it. I prefer the passenger side in front of seat.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:06 PM
Sultan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back on the original topic, I think you get out of PCA what you put in. I was a member for a couple of years, but I really did not get much out of it other then a couple of fancy magazines every month. That is my own fault as I did not have time to get involved in any of the events given I have two youngsters that occupy all my free time.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:26 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

It is cheap and there are enough benefits to make it worthwhile. Some people do track events, some to the social stuff, and it does give you some access to the PCA for events outside your home territory.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:24 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronan
It is cheap and there are enough benefits to make it worthwhile. Some people do track events, some to the social stuff, and it does give you some access to the PCA for events outside your home territory.
That and they send you a sticker once a year!
Old 07-18-2013, 06:00 PM
Sharker
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are doing ONLY the introductory driving school, you do not need fire extinguisher, helmet or safety inspection "Your car will not be exposed to anything at the IDS that it couldn’t encounter in everyday driving, BUT we do recommend that you
ensure that it is in healthy mechanical condition before attending the IDS, especially if it has been in storage over the winter. Note:
It is not required that you drive a Porsche at this event, but of course that is always welcomed. Whatever you drive, please make
sure that all loose objects are either removed or safely secured before you take part in the driving exercises.
No special safety equipment is required for you or your vehicle beyond standard safety belts
Old 07-18-2013, 07:16 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been a PCA member for over 40 years! In fact, I founded PCA in Canada in 1975 (Canada West was chartered 15 months before Upper Canada was chartered).

Even when I wasn't participating because I was into boats (still had 2 Porsche's though) I saved many times the annual membership just on the discount received on parts and accessory purchases made in those years. For example, I saved over $240 at the parts counter yesterday just because I was a PCA member. Buying 911-50 and Motorpsort accessories and memorabilia.

Some friends made back in the mid 70's are still friends today and now I'm back playing with Porsche's (a 996 TT Cab (much modded) and a 991S X51 Cab) I've also made the time to get involved again (Vice-President and Treasurer of Canada West Region) and made some new friends that will be lifelong friends (other than the Parts guy who will also always be a friend) and am enjoying the cars, the people and the Club even more than before.

No track events any more (bin there, done that, got the T-shirt and the Armco rash).

While the publications are great the people are "greater".

Is PCA worth it? Of course!
Old 07-19-2013, 02:21 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Worth it. Don't need a fire extinguisher or helmet for IDS, but you do for DE's. I had the Mantis mount, but sold it and swapped it for the Rennline mount (more expensive, but less intrusive). The Mantis works perfectly, but if you plan on just leaving it in the car permanently (I did), it sticks out too far, doesn't travel with the passenger seat and won't allow you to put the floormat back in underneath it...kinda important things around town when I have passengers sitting in the car!
Old 07-19-2013, 05:58 PM
Tommy 5
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What Ronan said.

You meet a lot of great people at the socials, fun runs, autocrosses and DEs. Of course, you also have to put up with people you'd generally want to avoid - namely me!
Old 07-19-2013, 09:13 PM
palmpalm
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 66 Posts

Thanks guys. I joined PCA and signed--up for the August 17th, 18th Shannonville events. I am going to hold off on a fire extinguisher for now since I don't have to have it for that weekend.

2 questions:

1. Will my motorcycle helmet be acceptable (Shoei RF1100)?
2. What's the best hotel to stay at for the weekend there? I'd like to have good food and a hot tub, swimming pool, swimsuit models in my suite, etc., etc.

Last edited by palmpalm; 07-19-2013 at 09:29 PM.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:51 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

Your motorcycle helmet is fine if it is within the expiry date as indicated on their website etc.
What did you plan on doing at Shannonville? The IDS I believe can also involve track time. If this is the case I'm pretty sure you will need an inspection of your car, fire extinguisher, helmet etc.
If you are only doing the IDS just bring you and your car.
I would also know where to stay, but my needs are less than yours. lol

Quick Reply: PCA?