Notices

Recall letters for RIV: interesting

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 03:45 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Recall letters for RIV: interesting

Just brought over a 2005 235 convertible yesterday. Just made my RIV payment online and got an email saying my form was ready to download to take to Canadian Tire for the inspection. No recall letter was submitted, or, apparently, required. Very strange - first time it's ever happened to me. I've got the letter here in the folder, and was planning on faxing it to them. It's easy with BMW because you can get recall info from their website - maybe RIV is "plugged in" to their database and can see there are no open recalls. Either way, it's one less hassle in the importation of cars!
Old 07-04-2013, 03:49 PM
swbatte
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Getting the recall clearance letter waived would be good.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:39 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Cool - one less scam for Porsche Canada to exploit!
Old 07-04-2013, 05:28 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the RIV has significantly relaxed their position on recall letters. before they seemed to only want manufacturer letters.

I think they're more cogniscent of the fact that many manufacturers can't be bothered to respond to the volume of requests and that the dealer IT infrastructure can provide the same information.

I recently filled to import an Aprilia (very small/niche motorcycle company from Italy) and when I confirmed the recall letter requirements (good luck getting one, the NYC office has like 3 people working there and Italy couldn't care less), they said that a letter from the dealer on their dealer letterhead would be sufficient (the local dealer in Ontario is excellent and was able to accommodate me. Free plug for Corsa Meccanica). Before it was a requirement that I go to the manufacturer to get one (Honda being the exception since they give you a print out online from their My Honda owners dashboard thingie).

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they've either connected to BMW or just don't care as much for cars made within a certain age window.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:52 PM
Christien
Race Car

RIV has always accepted a letter from a dealer - it's never been a requirement to come from head office, manufacturer, etc. Basically anything with a manufacturer's logo and something saying there's no open recall will do. I've had a Porsche tech a dealership in NC get a printout from the computer, copied his card onto it, that worked. Got a letter on dealership letterhead from a Mini dealership in GA signed by the service tech, another one in Chicago (bought from an independent dealership and made a recall letter part of the sale - took him 5 minutes, no cost). Printout from BMWs website. I think GM posts recall stuff on their website too. RIV is surprisingly lenient about what they'll accept, but they won't accept the Carfax report.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:55 PM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Now all we need is RIV to lift embargos on cars like the Lotus Elise and I can get a nice track day rocket.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:53 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 340 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by The Stig
Now all we need is RIV to lift embargos on cars like the Lotus Elise and I can get a nice track day rocket.
No crash test data means a no go and probably will never go untill it reach 15 years old. On one hand this good, keeps the Indian and Chineese junk out.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:01 PM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

You raise a good point about crash data. I didn't think of that. But ironically, Euro NCAP, NHTSA, and the IIHS have never crash tested a 911. Ever.

I'm sure dealer network protectionism is at work here. Same nonsense with Lambos.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:07 PM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You raise a good point about crash data. I didn't think of that. But ironically, Euro NCAP, NHTSA, and the IIHS have never crash tested a 911. Ever.

I'm sure dealer network protectionism is at work here. Same nonsense with Lambos.
This is very interesting. Do you have any insight how they can get away with that?

I recall the reason the 959 was not allowed into north america was because they couldn't provide crash test data.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:12 AM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Not sure which point you want more detail on - the crash info or dealer protection.

On the crash test point, I was reading a 997 used car review on autos.ca and I believe they sighted that a 911 has never been crash tested.

On the dealer side my evidence is more anecdotal than empirical. The Lotus forum is rife with rumours that the 3 dealers across Canada would collapse if US cars were allowed into the country. Used US cars trade 30% - 50% cheaper. IIRC there is an embargo on certain Lambos too. Likely for the same reason.

I think the crash test req't is a bit of a red herring. Most NCAP tests are equally stringent and thorough to NHTSA testa and likely on par with IIHS. So if cars pass NCAP why can't they pass here?
Old 07-05-2013, 07:31 AM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure which point you want more detail on - the crash info or dealer protection.

On the crash test point, I was reading a 997 used car review on autos.ca and I believe they sighted that a 911 has never been crash tested.

On the dealer side my evidence is more anecdotal than empirical. The Lotus forum is rife with rumours that the 3 dealers across Canada would collapse if US cars were allowed into the country. Used US cars trade 30% - 50% cheaper. IIRC there is an embargo on certain Lambos too. Likely for the same reason.

I think the crash test req't is a bit of a red herring. Most NCAP tests are equally stringent and thorough to NHTSA testa and likely on par with IIHS. So if cars pass NCAP why can't they pass here?
I am not disagreeing that the 911 has not been crash tested. But how do they get away with that? Every other car must be crash tested, no?

There was a couple of years where certain Porsche's were not allowed in either. I think around 1995 or so. I remember looking it up in a book at the border when I brought my first Porsche over from the US.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:23 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 543 Likes on 410 Posts

I thought they changed the rules a few years ago and said if a car was allowed in states it is allowed in Canada now. So the mercedes do not require changing bumpers and such. I guess Lotus and few others are the exception.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:22 AM
robertgalka
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The same thing happened to me with a 2500HD truck about a month ago. I'm still waiting for them to send the compliance label. It's not like anyone checks for it.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:43 AM
Christien
Race Car

I would really like to believe that manufacturers can't get a car blacklisted with RIV, simply because they're trying to avoid competition with US sellers so they can charge an artificially-inflated price. That would be basically price fixing, which is illegal.

Technically, you *could* import an Elise as a track car. RIV and Transport Canada only matter if you intend to plate the car and drive it on public roads. I think you'd still have to go through RIV to cross the border (or at least it would be significantly easier to just go through them) and then never register the car with the MTO. You'd have to trailer it to events and you couldn't insure it, but you could still drive it on private property.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:50 AM
Christien
Race Car

My last post got me thinking, so I just called RIV and asked them specifically about it. He said it would have to be imported either under a Transport Canada schedule 7, which is a temporary import for a track event, car show, etc. and would have to be exported back to the US after a certain period of time, or it would have to be brought in as a competition (racing) car with a competition label or a letter from a sanctioned racing body. In either case, it goes through Transport Canada, not RIV.

So if you wanted to bring it in as a track car for DEs, and never plate it, you'd have to drive it here with the original US plates, cross the border without telling them the car is staying in Canada, then complete the sale here and just never tell MTO about it. I think the only legally questionable part of that is crossing the border under somewhat false pretenses. Aside from that, it would be the same as selling anything else - MTO only needs to know about it if you're going to drive it on public roads.

Quick Reply: Recall letters for RIV: interesting