Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Interesting Article on crashes at Ring track days

http://bridgetogantry.com/2/index.ph...h-at-flugplatz

Old 06-28-2013, 11:29 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,163 Likes on 834 Posts

Amazing they got away with just one broken arm and a few bumps .. that was a big time "off"..
Old 06-28-2013, 11:51 AM
PbPedis
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Ouch. Don't think that one will just buff out.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:07 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

I agree WHOLEHEARTEDLY with this statement:

"I do NOT believe in sweeping accidents like these under the carpet. We should see the broken metal, listen to the sirens and think about how we drive the track on our next lap."

I've had arguments with people here on rennlist and, particularly, through UCR, about this very issue. Sometimes you CAN learn life lessons the easy way, by learning from other people's mistakes. And learning lessons about driving within your limits the easy could very well save your life, the life of your passenger, and the life of other people on the track.

My belief is simple: if you don't want pics of your smashed up car all over the internet, don't smash it up.

On a brighter note, his admonishment to passengers: "PLEASE don't jump into fast cars without understanding the possibilities of what can happen next. " reminded me of a time I was a passenger in a race-prepped 69 911S driven by a VERY capable driver at Mosport. It was hands down the best 20 minutes I've ever spent in a car (with the possible exception of non-driving, erm, "encounters" ). I remember going through 2, sliding, thinking 'there's no traction control, no ABS, I'm hanging onto the 5-point restraint for dear life- we could very well crash right now, and I'm ok with that. If this is how my life ends, I'll go out with one hell of a smile on my face!'
Old 06-28-2013, 12:23 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

Ouch, that hurt all the way from here.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:16 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In principle I agree with you Christien, but I believe the 'Ring already gets safety flack from interest groups who would rather see it shut down under the name of "safety". (People of the same mind-set as those who call for the Isle of Man TT to be closed every year or so). That is part of the reason why there are calls from 'ring sites not to post up vids of your accident, and why the 'Ring operators review footage from their rental cameras before issuing you the disk (as is my understanding from reading the forums).

If the decision must be made between giving up the incremental benefit gleaned from viewing these accidents, versus not giving these special interest groups more 'out-of-context' fodder to use against our beloved race venues, then I'm afraid I would have to side with the sweep it under the rug camp.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:47 PM
Dan@SCB
Banned

yikes!!!
Old 06-28-2013, 01:48 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Christien
I agree WHOLEHEARTEDLY with this statement:

"I do NOT believe in sweeping accidents like these under the carpet. We should see the broken metal, listen to the sirens and think about how we drive the track on our next lap."

I've had arguments with people here on rennlist and, particularly, through UCR, about this very issue. Sometimes you CAN learn life lessons the easy way, by learning from other people's mistakes. And learning lessons about driving within your limits the easy could very well save your life, the life of your passenger, and the life of other people on the track.

My belief is simple: if you don't want pics of your smashed up car all over the internet, don't smash it up.

On a brighter note, his admonishment to passengers: "PLEASE don't jump into fast cars without understanding the possibilities of what can happen next. " reminded me of a time I was a passenger in a race-prepped 69 911S driven by a VERY capable driver at Mosport. It was hands down the best 20 minutes I've ever spent in a car (with the possible exception of non-driving, erm, "encounters" ). I remember going through 2, sliding, thinking 'there's no traction control, no ABS, I'm hanging onto the 5-point restraint for dear life- we could very well crash right now, and I'm ok with that. If this is how my life ends, I'll go out with one hell of a smile on my face!'
Well said Chris.

Ask someone with limited driving experience (or lots of sloppy experience) what they will do when all the electronic controls don't work on their 400 hp car and see how many dumb looks you get.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:29 PM
Mike_UCR
Rennlist Member

I think there may be some educational benefit to posting crash pics but only if there is some narrative by the driver relating the chain of events leading to the crash. Watching a video is just titillation because too many feel invincible and "it can't happen to me." Oh yes it can!!

Quick Reply: Interesting Article on crashes at Ring track days