Notices

New Ontario Emmissions Test

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 09:13 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
Yours is a large commercial diesel, right? Those were always in a different category from cars and light truck diesels.
Yes it is.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:36 PM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nobody is pulling cars 88 and older, out of junkyads to put them back on the raod. That's a bunch of BS.
No, but my 88 has been in the garage with the motor apart for the past year, and I will need an E-test before I can renew the registration. I don't think my fresh engine will pass, but I won't be legally allowed to drive it to break it in either.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:45 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by irobertson
No, but my 88 has been in the garage with the motor apart for the past year, and I will need an E-test before I can renew the registration. I don't think my fresh engine will pass, but I won't be legally allowed to drive it to break it in either.
Should be able to get temporary tags.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:29 PM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
so are we saying they connect to the obd port now ? thats the only way they can monitor this .. and every manufacturers version of OBD 2 is a little different beyond the basic codes..
The OBDII part is exactly the same in all cars. It was a mandate from the US dept of transportation to standardize the emission system reporting for all cars in north america.

well this is a bit disconcerting .. looks like there is no sniffer anymore ( real time to see if you are putting out polutants ) . They are gonna pull your obd history .. even if your CEL is not lit you might have a code in there from an o2 sensor or SAI issue , this is common .. now they can say " look you have acode" need to fix that ..
i see lots of potential gouging here.
BC had been using the OBDII for for years. Plug in, readiness OK. PAss. Thankfully Audi has a way to run readiness tests so you can set all readiness to pass, run to the test station, then they plug it in and take your 45$

The best part is they have discontinued the e-test because it doesn't help with cleaning up the air.

i still think it is a huge cash grab for the auto repair industry and they ake licking their chops .. if it passes the sniff test you are not poluting and should be good to go ..
WAY to many opportunities to screw consumers on a one off code that may be stored .. we on this group probably know enough to makes things work .. but what about the single mom dependant on her older small car to get her to work .. maybe she has a cell from a one off incidemt .. dont you think she may be taken advantage of ?
whole thing stinks ..
Yes big cash grab. Women have been taken advantage since the first one bought a car and had service done....

Originally Posted by Cosmo Kramer
I wonder if something like the above could be developed to make all OBDII cars pass?

On my 2005 Ford I used to get the occasional CEL for the EGR. I would clear it and sometimes it stays away for over a year.

On my scanner, I have codes and "pending codes". Will the car fail with a pending code? My understanding is the pending code is a sensor that has shown output out of range but it needs to do it a certain amount of times before you get a CEL.
The Evap system is quite complex and tests can only be done when certain conditions are met. Such as fuel not full or not empty, temperature not to low, fuel not sloshing around (stopped and idling). They basically shut the valve off to the charcoal canister and watch for a pressure increase over time. If the pressure doesn't increase there is a leak. (it is actually even more complicated than that, but that is the jist of it)

It can actually be months before this test can run, and maybe years if you only put 20$ at a time in your tank.

Should be able to get temporary tags.
Only for 10 days and only twice in a calendar year.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:26 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

I know but 20 days should be enough to break and engine in.

What I don't understand is, not being able to get temporaries for car that are unfit.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:04 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...redundant.html

http://www.cbc.ca/player/Shows/ID/2329093023/
Old 02-08-2013, 12:13 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What I don't understand is, not being able to get temporaries for car that are unfit.
Exactly! In that case, you need a temp tag to get a safety, but you need a safety to get a temp tag!
Old 02-09-2013, 10:45 AM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pontifex4
Exactly! In that case, you need a temp tag to get a safety, but you need a safety to get a temp tag!
Tow operators need to buy Porsches too!
Old 02-09-2013, 11:26 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Originally Posted by 69gaugeman
Tow operators need to buy Porsches too!
Ironically, I discovered this while buying a new truck to pull my Porsche.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:00 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

So my 450,000km '98 4Runner passed easily this morning.
All they asked me at the dealer was "did I drive for at least 30 minutes and is the tank full".
Took less than an hour with an oil change.
Old test used to list ppm's of CO.
New sheet just says yes or no. Sheet came back clean. No error codes.
Dude even said laughingly "You could cut out the cats and as long as there's no codes, Bob's your uncle. Have a nice day"
Old 02-14-2013, 11:02 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

You would need O2 simulators for the secondary snsors but the EPA put a stop to that a few years ago.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:53 PM
jakfrost
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Charlie, I thought if you had 'farm' plates on your trucks, there was no requirement for the drive clean inspection...??

Jim
Old 02-15-2013, 09:00 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

so im a bid confused if you clear your codes with a obd reader do you still have to do all the driving around first ?

also my scanner has the 3 lights if i plug it in and its green can i just leave it and take it in ?
Old 02-15-2013, 10:48 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Originally Posted by jakfrost
Charlie, I thought if you had 'farm' plates on your trucks, there was no requirement for the drive clean inspection...??

Jim
Jim -- farm plates restrict a vehicle in terms of what you're able to do with it. I also don't live at the farm (I live in the city), so I can't use a farm plate for my personal vehicles.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:53 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

also my scanner has the 3 lights if i plug it in and its green can i just leave it and take it in ?
No check engine light plus green light on the scanner = good to go.

Quick Reply: New Ontario Emmissions Test