Notices

getting better

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 09:59 PM
palmpalm
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 66 Posts
Default getting better

After a week with my Cayman S I have realized just how unworthy of the car I am. I must become a better drive. More skilled at the clutch, the stick, the wheel, and the whole symphony of it all.

I am going to do some Porsche track days this summer but what can I do right now to become better? Any sources of learning/advice you can point me to?
Old 01-30-2013, 10:08 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 407 Posts

If you are not worthy to drive a cayman on street what possesses you to believe you should take it to the track? Something tells me this will not end well.
You should find some empty country roads to drive on and do everything slowly and meticulously for now. Or you could buy a Honda .
S
Old 01-30-2013, 10:12 PM
palmpalm
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Turbodan
If you are not worthy to drive a cayman on street what possesses you to believe you should take it to the track? Something tells me this will not end well.
You should find some empty country roads to drive on and do everything slowly and meticulously for now. Or you could buy a Honda .
S
Geez, dude. Take a chill pill much? I was being facetious. I am a good driver, I just want to be better. The car is amazing and only someone like a professional race driver would be likely to bring out the best in it. I want to be as good as I can to bring out the best in the car.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:17 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 139 Posts

If you want to gain car control and some better driving techniques, you can contact Gerry Low at driveteq.ca. They have some winter schools going on. We will look forward to seeing you at the PCA Drivers Ed days (insurance companies like it better when we don't call them track days ) or any of the numerous events throughout the season

Cheers.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:01 PM
palmpalm
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GentlemanRacer
If you want to gain car control and some better driving techniques, you can contact Gerry Low at driveteq.ca. They have some winter schools going on. We will look forward to seeing you at the PCA Drivers Ed days (insurance companies like it better when we don't call them track days ) or any of the numerous events throughout the season

Cheers.
Thanks I look forward to meeting my fellow Porsche enthusiasts.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:06 PM
Dr Mitch
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by palmpalm
After a week with my Cayman S I have realized just how unworthy of the car I am. I must become a better drive. More skilled at the clutch, the stick, the wheel, and the whole symphony of it all.

I am going to do some Porsche track days this summer but what can I do right now to become better? Any sources of learning/advice you can point me to?
Can you expand on your "unworthiness"? Jerky shifting, missed shifts, burning rubber (clutch) smell at the end of the day, stalls?
As a start, I might suggest not trying to shift too fast (some have a tendency to try to rip it from one gear to the next as fast as possible) - think more relaxed and smooth. I find the Pcars are smoothest at the higher RPM range too - so if you're puttering around, it may be a little more jerky as compared to a 2-3 shift at high RPM on an on-ramp...
Now, if you're playing around with heel-toe technique, that's a whole other story and is best for driver ed days with an instructor (IMO).
Good luck, enjoy!

Check out this video of Hurley Haywood teaching someone heel-toe in a GT3...

Old 01-30-2013, 11:12 PM
palmpalm
Rennlist Member

Im not new to driving a manual transmission but am not the best at it. No missed shifts and not jerky. Most of my shifts are good but I certainly feel I could be smoother with the clutch. I am a bit of a perfectionist and slightly neurotic.

I can heel toe but not great at it, am practicing.

There is a smell from the car that I notice after parking and at first I freaked but I brought it to the attention of my buddy who is a porsche salesman at pfaff and he said the smell is normal. Apparently these cars have a distinctive smell after driving, is that the general consensus? I don't think I'm riding/slipping the clutch at all.

Originally Posted by Dr Mitch
Can you expand on your "unworthiness"? Jerky shifting, missed shifts, burning rubber (clutch) smell at the end of the day, stalls?
As a start, I might suggest not trying to shift too fast (some have a tendency to try to rip it from one gear to the next as fast as possible) - think more relaxed and smooth. I find the Pcars are smoothest at the higher RPM range too - so if you're puttering around, it may be a little more jerky as compared to a 2-3 shift at high RPM on an on-ramp...
Now, if you're playing around with heel-toe technique, that's a whole other story and is best for driver ed days with an instructor (IMO).
Good luck, enjoy!

Check out this video of Hurley Haywood teaching someone heel-toe in a GT3...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqYeusE8ksk
Old 01-30-2013, 11:14 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 347 Posts

couple of tips...look where you want to go, smooth inputs(steering, gas, brake, clutch(quick off the clutch-not dragging or slipping it at all), letting the trans. sychros do their thing and not rushing them), practice heel-toe, thereshold braking, accelerating fastest you can without breaking traction and 'hitting' the apexes where safe(and of course legally) to do so
Old 01-30-2013, 11:15 PM
MidnightCayman
Racer

I have that smell too especially once it is in the garage after a drive.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:19 PM
Dr Mitch
Burning Brakes

I know the smell you are talking about after a good run - and it is different (not as pungent?) compared to a clutch smell.

I tend to have a hard time with heel-toe, I blame my size 13 waterskis - so I do more of a big toe little toe thing!

Sounds like you are doing pretty good to me! Just more time behind the wheel now...
Old 01-30-2013, 11:20 PM
palmpalm
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993GT
couple of tips...look where you want to go, smooth inputs(steering, gas, brake, clutch(quick off the clutch-not dragging or slipping it at all), letting the trans. sychros do their thing and not rushing them), practice heel-toe, thereshold braking, accelerating fastest you can without breaking traction and 'hitting' the apexes where safe(and of course legally) to do so
Thanks!
Old 01-30-2013, 11:21 PM
palmpalm
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr Mitch
I know the smell you are talking about after a good run - and it is different (not as pungent?) compared to a clutch smell.

I tend to have a hard time with heel-toe, I blame my size 13 waterskis - so I do more of a big toe little toe thing!

Sounds like you are doing pretty good to me! Just more time behind the wheel now...

Thanks, yah. Anyone know what the smell actually is? (good to know it is normal!)
Old 01-30-2013, 11:26 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by palmpalm
Geez, dude. Take a chill pill much? I was being facetious. I am a good driver, I just want to be better. The car is amazing and only someone like a professional race driver would be likely to bring out the best in it. I want to be as good as I can to bring out the best in the car.
I am very chilled and was when I replied to your post. Please reread your original post and see how it looks like you are having trouble driving on street and now want to take it to the track. It appears you did not describe your situation correctly. perhaps you exagerated your troubles. how am I to know you were facetious. You said you are unworthy of the car...I imagined someone having trouble being in the right gear and a rough ride. Caymans are pretty easy cars to drive to start with. the advice above will be helpful, however I disagree with heel and toe advice not being for the street...that is the best place to practice and perfect it. Good luck.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:18 AM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

That smells is probably hot brake pads.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:25 AM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I also recommend Gerry and Rick at Driveteq.ca.
Gerry is a master instructor in all aspects of driving in all conditions. I've had the benefit of Gerry's expertise for years and it has really paid off on both street and track. He's also a thoroughly enjoyable companion in and out of the cabin.

Quick Reply: getting better