Notices

Anyone here think we need a Canadian Off Topic Thread?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 11:58 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
+1.

Observe his latest erudite observation on the great Alex Jones and his "discussion" with Piers Morgan...

"Don't forget guys, we have people right here on R-list who link exactly like PM, just look at the raging emotional estrogen that our norther brothers spew on a regular basis. All one has to do is look at the Canadian Forum to see that same level.

Thanks the Lord they are being put down slowly by the smarter, more conservative people."

Us poor dumb libbies
Wow. Sound just like the religion and politics OT forum on Pelican. Kind of makes me embarrassed to own a Porsche. I can tolerate pretty much any political view, as long as it's fact-based. I can't, however, tolerate Bill O'Reilly-style browbeating.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:47 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

I've enjoyed the diverse topic on the OT board with a couple of exceptions. My last exchange there got me to ask the mods to refund my membership. The next day found OT and the firearms forum unavailable to me. I am still waiting for the refund, but not holding my breath.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:14 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,118 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by Christien
Wow. Sound just like the religion and politics OT forum on Pelican. Kind of makes me embarrassed to own a Porsche. I can tolerate pretty much any political view, as long as it's fact-based. I can't, however, tolerate Bill O'Reilly-style browbeating.
Christien thats the typical "if your not with us , your against us" mentality of American "haters " that you come across time to time. I am pleased to report this clown seems to be in the general minority and most American i meet ( amd family) understand we have different cultures and dont just automatically hate like this clown.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:35 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Yeah, I agree, it's not representative at all of most Americans. Unfortunately there seems to be a high correspondence of those types of people and Porsche owners.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:39 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

I try not to get worked up by what an unknown person says on the internet, moderator or not. If you dont share an opinion of someone in OT, before you respond to it know that nothing you say will change their mind, and even if you were able to, would it matter?

If you get moderated into oblivion, who cares. Nothing you say in OT means anything.

It is entertainment, nothing more. Inflammatory actions and comments sell memberships. My guess is that the entertainment and funds provided my RLOT keeps RL free for the bulk of people who are just interested in their car.

Last edited by BioBanker; 01-14-2013 at 02:44 PM. Reason: additions
Old 01-14-2013, 02:43 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Guys, I've been watching OT and P&C, I have to

Those who posted advocating gun control have not made a single argument which suggests that gun control would solve anything in the USA. The problem isn't simple.

Confiscating all guns might work (except for those criminal elements most responsible for the majority of gun violence) but can't be done without a constitutional amendment - which seems highly unlikely. In Canada, we couldn't even keep the gun registry going, so before we think ourselves especially clever,keep that in mind.

I understand the emotional reaction to the CT massacre, it was awful. CT has restrictive gun control and it did what? Nothing. would more control have prevented it? Perhaps limiting the capacity to 10 rounds? Left undisturbed as he was, the insane shooter would have simply reloaded.

So on the one hand we have the "more control" advocates including a couple of Canadians who simply repeat "more control". In one case it was trolling. Arguments to support the position seem to be lacking.

I wish someone could come up with a solution to the problem and provide cogent reasons as to why it would work. I haven't seen any and I'm pretty neutral on the subject since i don't own guns.

Our conservative pals in the US don't react well to unsupported arguments any more than we do. Bear in mind that Porsche owners tend to be higher income and more conservative than the general population.

Gun control in Canada is pretty strict, I can't speak for Ontario but in Quebec it is very hard to acquire and keep a gun legally. Fingerprints, required training courses, permit to buy ammunition transport permit to carry it to an approved range (membership required) etc. All that failed to stop the massacre at Dawson College nor the one at the University of Montreal. In all cases the shooters were deranged individuals.

In Toronto gun violence seems to relate to gang activities - probably drug related. These guys are criminals already - similar but thankfully smaller scale than the gangs in Chicago, which has tight gun controls and 537 murders last year.

So, keep thinking and feel free to post over there if you have a solution which has a chance of working.

Best,
Old 01-14-2013, 03:22 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JimV8
I've enjoyed the diverse topic on the OT board with a couple of exceptions. My last exchange there got me to ask the mods to refund my membership. The next day found OT and the firearms forum unavailable to me. I am still waiting for the refund, but not holding my breath.
That's the lunatic fringe's understanding of the first amendment. They understand freedom of speech only if it agrees with their belief system. Again, I reiterate, we should have our own OT forum.

We do not all share the same opinions on many subjects here but the conversation always remains civil. That is not the case on the OT where Gretch and his fellow Neanderthals have chased all the "normal" people away.

PS Who makes the decision on this anyway?
Old 01-14-2013, 04:05 PM
fanny bay r1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau

Those who posted advocating gun control have not made a single argument which suggests that gun control would solve anything in the USA. The problem isn't simple.

Confiscating all guns might work (except for those criminal elements most responsible for the majority of gun violence) but can't be done without a constitutional amendment - which seems highly unlikely. In Canada, we couldn't even keep the gun registry going, so before we think ourselves especially clever,keep that in mind.

I understand the emotional reaction to the CT massacre, it was awful. CT has restrictive gun control and it did what? Nothing. would more control have prevented it? Perhaps limiting the capacity to 10 rounds? Left undisturbed as he was, the insane shooter would have simply reloaded.

So on the one hand we have the "more control" advocates including a couple of Canadians who simply repeat "more control". In one case it was trolling. Arguments to support the position seem to be lacking.

I wish someone could come up with a solution to the problem and provide cogent reasons as to why it would work. I haven't seen any and I'm pretty neutral on the subject since i don't own guns.

Our conservative pals in the US don't react well to unsupported arguments any more than we do. Bear in mind that Porsche owners tend to be higher income and more conservative than the general population.

Gun control in Canada is pretty strict, I can't speak for Ontario but in Quebec it is very hard to acquire and keep a gun legally. Fingerprints, required training courses, permit to buy ammunition transport permit to carry it to an approved range (membership required) etc. All that failed to stop the massacre at Dawson College nor the one at the University of Montreal. In all cases the shooters were deranged individuals.

In Toronto gun violence seems to relate to gang activities - probably drug related. These guys are criminals already - similar but thankfully smaller scale than the gangs in Chicago, which has tight gun controls and 537 murders last year.

So, keep thinking and feel free to post over there if you have a solution which has a chance of working.

Best,
Bob,

For God's sake don't turn this into a gun control thread!!!
Old 01-14-2013, 04:57 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 134 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau

Best,
Bob, you miss the point. Any argument or opinion is just bashed/insulted into obscurity if it doesnt fit their far right pro gun agenda. The problem is THAT THEY DONT SEE THERE IS A PROBLEM. Maybe there isnt but I believe most rational people know there is something wrong, whether it be with guns/society/some combo etc.

Even if you could provided 100% foolproof statistical evidence that more guns cause more violence (and there are plenty of numbers thrown around by people to support both sides of this argument), the answer would ALWAYS be (and always is) "well its our 2nd amendment right so **** off" and then it just goes around and around in another circle jerk. Even an opinion about what may happen in the future drives them ape ****e if they cant find a chart or a graph to try and prove you wrong.

I agree with others here that its mostly a nasty place and its just entertainment. I believe the Mods should just stay out of it rather then enforcing things like trolling and letting all the other issues (far far worse as far as I am concerned) go unnoticed. Some of these guys should have been banned ages ago according to the so called rules but that would have sent the rest of them off the deep end. And whats a good OT forum about if you havent got the same 10-15 guys running up hundreds of thousands of posts.

My suggestion - just leave it unmoderated and tell people that. Then to each his own and forget about trying to enforce rules that are either clearly unenforcable or willfully not enforced

And passing off guys like Gretch as moderators makes it even more of a farce
Old 01-14-2013, 07:19 PM
tcc
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

While I am new-ish to this site, I have been following the most recent gun discussions with interest. Obviously we can only yak only so much about how shiny our cars are, so some intellectual debate is fun. In this kind of forum, how can people's opinions be bashed out? If you lucidly make your case and others bash it, how does that diminish your argument? If on the other hand, you make accusations and resort to ad hominem attacks on those that disagree with you, then this desperation will be obvious to those out there who have the intellect to reccognize this.

A topic such as gun control will have strong proponents on either side of the issue. Americans as a nation have stronger passions regarding the rights of the individual as part of their national identity, especially given the nature of how their nation was founded. In Canada, I would submit that that sense of individualism is less ingrained into our generally more collectivist mindset. As far as Gretch etc, (whom I don't know), so what if he flames you? Sticks, stones etc. But on the other hand, characterising his ("their") opinions as stupid and retarded undercuts your own credibility for being tolerant of any opinion but your own. If you have a bunch of people all nodding their heads without reasoned dissent, it's just a big circle jerk.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:04 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tcc
While I am new-ish to this site, I have been following the most recent gun discussions with interest. Obviously we can only yak only so much about how shiny our cars are, so some intellectual debate is fun. In this kind of forum, how can people's opinions be bashed out? If you lucidly make your case and others bash it, how does that diminish your argument? If on the other hand, you make accusations and resort to ad hominem attacks on those that disagree with you, then this desperation will be obvious to those out there who have the intellect to reccognize this.

A topic such as gun control will have strong proponents on either side of the issue. Americans as a nation have stronger passions regarding the rights of the individual as part of their national identity, especially given the nature of how their nation was founded. In Canada, I would submit that that sense of individualism is less ingrained into our generally more collectivist mindset. As far as Gretch etc, (whom I don't know), so what if he flames you? Sticks, stones etc. But on the other hand, characterising his ("their") opinions as stupid and retarded undercuts your own credibility for being tolerant of any opinion but your own. If you have a bunch of people all nodding their heads without reasoned dissent, it's just a big circle jerk.
Before you pontificate, please read Gretch. While you are at it, write a line of dissent on one of his threads. Your opinion may change.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:24 PM
tcc
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

As the Cheech and Chong skit goes, "What's he gonna do, tickle me?" I may run into him in the future on a topic, not here to pick fights or sides, but just wanted to point out that lack of respect of viewpoints ran both ways. There were plenty of 'right wing nut job' and 'liberal ninnies' cliches thrown around by all. I'm not in the pontification racket.

Last edited by tcc; 01-14-2013 at 09:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone here think we need a Canadian Off Topic Thread?