Notices

Dr. color chip

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 12:59 PM
Revn29k00
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have e-mailed them today asking a few questions and I am waiting for a response. When I get a chance I will call them and ask if they would do a group buy. If we get 10 people interested maybe the will do one. I'll keep you posted
Old 10-29-2012, 01:04 PM
Revn29k00
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aviography
Almost makes me wonder if I could have avoided repainting my hood and fenders earlier this year, the bumper had to be repaired because of the gauges and deep scratches and Dr. Color Chip won't be able to hide them. However I am also sure Dr. Color Chip won't make the hood and fenders look as good as they are now.

Mike, if you are going to ask them questions, can you ask them how safe it is to apply Clear Bra film on the area repaired with Dr. Color Chip, specifically will the repaired spots come off with the film if the film had to be removed later on.
They do have a "rash kit" that is sufficient for larger jobs. I agree with you though. I really can't see it turning out as well as having it resprayed from a body shop but for less than $100 it's worth a try.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:03 PM
Revn29k00
Rennlist Member

Default The latest

Alright. I have been in touch with Dan from Dr color chip. He mentioned we could get a 10% discount if we get 10 people interested but the biggest savings would be on shipping. Here is an e-mail I got from him today.

Hello,
We offer a group buy discount of 10% on group buys of 10 or more kits. On many international group buys, there is substantial savings if we ship all the kits in one box to the organizer of the group buy who would then distribute the kits locally. We could get a shipping quote on this provided we knew how many participants there were and then we could more than likely substantially reduce the per kit shipping costs and pass that savings on to the participants. Thank you.

I am expecting a shipping quote from him tomorrow. Unfortunately it has to be shipped ups because usps will not ship paint internationally. So far we have a few people interested.

myself
iceman
aviography (maybe)
tarbender
mattau
ronnie993tt

If anyone else is interested just let me know.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:51 AM
Goldstar
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I advise that all those interested check the product out on You Tube. There are some videos and reviews. It's basically touch up paint and a glove. I picked up a kit from Range Rover for the truck and it came with a clear coat as well for $25. Seems like a high cost for basically touch up paint. I always check products like these on Google and YouTube, can reveal a lot of info. Just saying.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:27 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

Like many things on youtube, reviews range from "its the best product ever" to "complete scam". It appeared some of these guys did not follow the directions too closely and therefore got unsatisfactory results.

Revn out me down as interested and let us know what you come up with (assuming 3 others are interested). I have a rather long scratch that would be tough to do with just a touch up brush so if this works then would be worth the money. If not then it will prob look better than it does now!

Thanks for the leg work
Old 10-31-2012, 03:47 PM
fanny bay r1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Goldstar
I advise that all those interested check the product out on You Tube. There are some videos and reviews. It's basically touch up paint and a glove. I picked up a kit from Range Rover for the truck and it came with a clear coat as well for $25. Seems like a high cost for basically touch up paint. I always check products like these on Google and YouTube, can reveal a lot of info. Just saying.

IMO it works far,far better than any other touch up paint I've used before primarily due to the excess removal process. Anyone who can't follow their instructions properly and get good results shouldn't be driving a car!!

Last edited by fanny bay r1; 10-31-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:03 PM
PbPedis
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldstar
Don't confuse this product with just any old touch up paint. For a large, deep stone chip, Dr. Colorchip probably won't perform much better than touch up paint you get from your dealership. However, multiple small chips is where this product excels. Even looking fairly closely, it is hard to tell where you have touched up the paint using Dr. Colorchip. You won't get those results from a regular touch up paint pen or bottle.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:09 PM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I was given a beautiful dime sized chip c/o a cement truck on the freeway last week..
(dump trucks and cement trucks should be banned on the 400 series; but that's a rant for a
whole other thread)....

I'm interested in purchasing a set for my car also..so if there is a pair looking
for a 3rd; I'm in. PM me.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:04 PM
Ben_C
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm interested. I'm in Vancouver though - if that is an issue. My bumper looks like it took a gravel blast last winter - probably due to a noob aussie driving on winter roads.

Cheers Ben
Old 10-31-2012, 08:15 PM
Bob D..
Instructor

I am interested.
Why not ask them for a shipping quote to Niagara Falls - I get stuff sent there regularly - and I am down in the Niagara peninsula from time to time and can easily drop across the border and pick it up.
We'd save the UPS charges, along with the clearance charges. Still have to pay the HST, though.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:52 PM
Revn29k00
Rennlist Member

Sorry guys but I have been busy the last few days. I haven't been able to talk to Dan directly (been playing phone tag) but we have been discussing the group buy through e-mail. Here is what I have set up so far. It's a small saving on the kit but by shipping it in one package we will save on the shipping.

E-mail from Dan

HI Mike,
On an order of 5 kits the per kit cost for shipping would be $4.50 to ship all 5 kits to the address you provided. On an order of 10 kits or more, the per kit cost for shipping would be $4.00. On group buys we generally will ship all Road Rash kits and provide an additional 10% discount. Total cost would be $58.60 for a 5 kit group buy or $58.10 for a group buy of 10 or more. Thank you.

Who ever is interested please pm me your name and paint code and I will start a list of who wants in.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:57 PM
Revn29k00
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob D..
I am interested.
Why not ask them for a shipping quote to Niagara Falls - I get stuff sent there regularly - and I am down in the Niagara peninsula from time to time and can easily drop across the border and pick it up.
We'd save the UPS charges, along with the clearance charges. Still have to pay the HST, though.
Thanks for the offer Bob. I don't really order stuff from the US so when it comes to shipping and brokerage charges I am clueless. What would be our best option for shipping guy's? The price Dan provided me was shipping to my house. I could then deliver the kits at the Sat GTG. If it would be better to ship to Niagara like Bob mentioned we can do that to. I would just need an address to ship the kits too.

Any suggestions?
Old 11-01-2012, 09:55 AM
tarbender
Instructor

Whenever I have something shipped from the US, I prefer to have it shipped USPS. The brokerage fee is lower than UPS and Fedex. Sometimes when shipped by USPS it comes straight to my door without any brokerage or HST required. Are they willing to ship USPS priority mail?
Old 11-01-2012, 10:11 AM
Revn29k00
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tarbender
Whenever I have something shipped from the US, I prefer to have it shipped USPS. The brokerage fee is lower than UPS and Fedex. Sometimes when shipped by USPS it comes straight to my door without any brokerage or HST required. Are they willing to ship USPS priority mail?
They said USPS will not ship paint internationally. The quotes that they gave me were shipping with UPS
Old 11-01-2012, 12:27 PM
tarbender
Instructor

There is a place in Niagara that will accept packages for a fee.

http://usaddressinc.com/

Not sure if its worthwhile to go this route. It there are more than 5 of us, the UPS shipping costs per person will not be that much and it avoids having to go pick it up in States.

Quick Reply: Dr. color chip