Sad end to a nice day...

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 10:50 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zookie
its not the parents its the stupid kids... i got my car when i was 19... im still alive and havent crashed into anyone :P
YET =P

Now that you can be a millionaire at 22 thanks to the Internet and equity markets that has no idea how to value web-startups, this will probably get worse before it gets better.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:17 PM
BT ZR1
Racer

give a kid a fast car and they drive fast. my two boys 20 and 17 are restricted from driving my ZR1 and Turbo and they are fine with it.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:48 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 1,054 Likes on 501 Posts

All depends on the person I guess. If I had a fast car when I was 16 I would certainly be dead. I got into a enough trouble in my 84 Subaru GL that only ran on three cylinders.

When I did get a fast car in my early twenties, I got caught doing 220 on the 403. Got a ticket and court date on the spot and a $700 fine.

I slowed down after that.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:48 PM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had my first Porsche at 17. I drove fast, yes, but I started driving when I was 12 and was on the road at 14 (Alberta learners age) I also knew my limits as I spent 2 years driving (and frequently) rolling over my beetle while playing in a field behind my dad's shop. The key is education and experience.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:58 PM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by 69gaugeman
I had my first Porsche at 17. I drove fast, yes, but I started driving when I was 12 and was on the road at 14 (Alberta learners age) I also knew my limits as I spent 2 years driving (and frequently) rolling over my beetle while playing in a field behind my dad's shop. The key is education and experience.
I agree with this. I also think that many folks who deride young people driving nice/fast cars do so primarily out of jealousy.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:02 PM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I was never "fortunate" enough to have "stupid" parents that would buy me
ridiculously powerful cars when I was a kid... So instead, I bought junker
Honda CRXs (84-87), shoe-horned more powerful Acura motors in them and
then slapped on a home-made/fabbed turbo kit... I was plenty stupid in those
250hp FWD tin cans. (zero traction until 4th gear..haha)

Man, those where the days!! School, girls, work, girls, and wrenching...

A 139km/h in an 80 zone summons to court 8 years ago (pre stunt driving
vehicle law) taught me a lesson or two.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:06 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I don't think that it's the type of car, but the age of the driver. Friday night an 18 yr. old was killed on the s/b Don Valley driving a pick up truck. The road was closed for 5 hours. The police said speed,road conditions (wet), and driver in-experience.
I did some pretty stupid things when I first got my license.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:24 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 273 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by wucash
How is a new turbo worth only 120k? Or was it a used car that was leased?
We all do stupid things and some die. I had an aquaintance in Ottawa - Billy Mitchel - who killed himself in the Gatineaus around 1970 in his new 911. Just didn't make the turn. This could be a very sensible 29 year old lawyer who loves the cars like we do and, partly through inexperience, just screwed up.

In the pics it looks like a 997 Gen 1 Turbo and they're depreciating rapidly. I thought the price looked a bit high (or included taxes!!) unless it was an exceptionally well appointed ultra low mileage vehicle.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:42 PM
MSW-986
7th Gear

Drivers been charged with impaired
Old 10-23-2012, 12:19 AM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 273 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by MSW-986
Drivers been charged with impaired
Thought I'd give him the benefit of the doubt but man that is stupid.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:37 AM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

How come it's often the impaired drivers who survive a horrific crash that they caused...........

http://www.citytv.com/toronto/cityne...rborough-crash

A 20-year-old Toronto man faces several charges including impaired driving and criminal negligence causing death after a Porsche crashed killing a passenger early Sunday.

The crash occurred 3:30 a.m. on McNicoll Avenue and Birchmount Road.

The accused was driving a 2012 Porsche when the car mounted the curb, crashed through several fences and hit a tree in the backyard of a home on Hawkshead Crescent.

His 20-year-old passenger, whose name hasn’t been disclosed, was thrown from the car and died at the scene.

The driver was taken to Sunnybrook hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

Hongyu Chen also faces dangerous driving causing death among other charges.

He was expected to make a court appearance Monday morning.

The police investigation continues.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...n-charged.html

Toronto man who was behind the wheel of a brand new Porsche that slammed into a tree on the weekend faces several criminal charges in the fatal crash that claimed another man's life.

Toronto police say that they were called to the scene of a crash on McNicoll Avenue, near Birchmount Road, just before 3:30 a.m. on Sunday.

According to police, the Porsche mounted the northside curb of McNicoll Avenue, left the roadway and eventually struck a tree.

The crash left a trail of debris, some of which was still visible on Monday. Fences in four nearby backyards were damaged by the collision involving the Porsche 911 Turbo.

The 20-year-old passenger was ejected from the vehicle and was pronounced dead at the scene.

The driver suffered non-life threatening injuries.

Local resident Ming Cao said the crash did such severe damage to the Porsche that you couldn't tell it was a car. (CBC)A resident who was woken up by the sound of the crash said the car was barely recognizable.

"You couldn’t tell it was a car," Ming Cao told CBC News on Monday.

"It was all broken. The front was mangled. I couldn’t even see the engine. I think it was blown to bits."

Cao said he saw the driver get out of the car and yell somebody’s name.

Driver faces charges

Police say Hongyu Chen, 20, of Toronto is charged with criminal negligence causing death, impaired driving causing death, dangerous driving causing death and driving with a blood alcohol level above zero while under a G2 licence.

Chen appeared in a Toronto court on Monday and was granted bail.

While on bail, Chen is prohibited from driving, he must reside with a surety and observe a curfew from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m.

He is due to appear in court again on Nov. 30.

Chen is in Canada on a student visa and is studying business at Mohawk College.

When leaving court, Chen wore a surgical mask on his face and was walking with a limp.

Last edited by aviography; 10-23-2012 at 01:16 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:56 AM
PALETTE
Racer

God speed.

So this is now 2 997's in 6 months. Sad end to a summer.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:36 AM
fd911
Advanced

I started young myself. My first time behind the wheel was at age 8 drove my older friends friend standard Mazda MX3 around the block and at age 12, with my brother by my side I put 40 miles on my moms minivan. Im not going to lie I had plenty of speeding tickets but nothing crazy. Since ever I bought a Porsche I never got a speeding ticket.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:56 AM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Student visa, hmmm. Now rich daddy from abroad will hire a shark lawyer firm and his son will be extradited back home a few months after sentencing and serve a few months in a cell with a view.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:52 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by 1990964C4
Student visa, hmmm. Now rich daddy from abroad will hire a shark lawyer firm and his son will be extradited back home a few months after sentencing and serve a few months in a cell with a view.
Nope.......This dude will serve some serious time for this.

Quick Reply: Sad end to a nice day...