Notices

clear bra

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 03:27 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 1,076 Likes on 508 Posts

That sounds about right. Plus Marco his highly reccomrnded and knows his stuff.

If a stealership were paying an installer it would cost them about $600. But they obviously charge the customer much more.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:56 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 274 Likes on 183 Posts

Get a quote from Frank. Really...............
Old 06-09-2012, 09:05 PM
Neb
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 15 Posts

Marco quoted me about the same for wha tyou have there. Call the other suggested guys and see. I end up spending about that on my install.

If you think you can do it yourself, then buy material from here or email them about a pre-cut kit. www.nochip.ca They have all the cutout on computer.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:35 AM
saxony_wu
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't want to do it myself. Don't mind the effort but was told 3M is not as good as Venture shield. Doubted I can achieve same professional result.

Ronnie, I did try to contact Frank via email. Didn't get any reply yet. Maybe he's out on vacation.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:36 AM
jwortley
Advanced

Originally Posted by Adamant1971
Can't tell you yet, but I'm getting mine done on Wednesday at Krown in Burlungton. I've known the owners for years. They are going to do my whole nose.
I am burlington based as well and thinking of getting my carerra and BMW 335 done. Please PM me with your impressions of Krown.

Thx
Old 06-10-2012, 12:47 AM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 274 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by saxony_wu
I wouldn't want to do it myself. Don't mind the effort but was told 3M is not as good as Venture shield. Doubted I can achieve same professional result.

Ronnie, I did try to contact Frank via email. Didn't get any reply yet. Maybe he's out on vacation.
Call Frank at 416-739-0001................
Old 06-11-2012, 11:01 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Patrick is the fellow who did my car in my garage, he worked for a well-known film shop for almost 10 years and had done a lot of cars at Downtown Porsche, and came highly recommend from the shop who painted the front end of my car, he did a full custom wrap for my car, full front bumper, full hood, full fenders, and mirrors, only the mirrors were 95% coverage due to the extreme curvatures or the mirror housings. Folks who have seen my car at the GTG can attest to the seamless film coverage on the front end of my car, it is pretty much invisible and void of obvious signs of film on the painted surface.

I had him use Xpel Ultimate film, read up on it on the Xpel website, it's good stuff. He could also use 3M Scotch brand film or Ventureshield film at your request.

His email is theclearchoiceppf@gmail.com, phone number 416-985-5987, I think you will find his price reasonable.

Finally, you MUST compare apples with apples, most of the pricings you will get from local shops will be computer cut patterns, which saves shop installation time to reduce their cost, but at the expense of lacking the 100% coverage a custom job provides, make sure you ask and understand exactly what you are getting for the price quoted, in fact make sure you specially ask if the quote is for 100% coverage from custom job or from pre-cut patterns, then decide which route you want to go.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:57 AM
saxony_wu
Rennlist Member

Aviography,

I'll give Patrick a try...

Advanced mobile Group emphasized the "computer cut pattern" can eliminate mistakes of the installer and is better on the contrary. Can you elaborate on this?

Thanks
Old 06-14-2012, 01:56 AM
aviography
Drifting

Originally Posted by saxony_wu
Advanced mobile Group emphasized the "computer cut pattern" can eliminate mistakes of the installer and is better on the contrary. Can you elaborate on this?
I think what Marco is eluding to is that inexperienced installer attempting custom install by trimming film while the film is on the car risks cutting through the film and damage the paint, where a pre-cut kit requires no cutting/trimming of the film on the car. This concern is valid since experience, steady hand, and the right touch will be required to score the film just enough without cutting through it such that the film will rip apart at the score line, kind of like cutting glass or tiles.

While this logic is defendable, I am not sure if accurate perfect full coverage templates exist in all cases to account for wrapping the edge of the film around the edges of the body panels, this is how a good installer makes the edge of the film "invisible" because it is tucked around the edge of the body panels to hide the edge of the film. As well, think about headlight, turn signal, and air intake openings in the front bumper, can the template manufacturer produce a perfect pattern to not show any film edge for these openings? I doubt it and that is why I went the custom route, and took out the headlights and marker lights so that the installer can tuck and hide the film edge underneath the headlights and marker lights, and cut the film on the bumper right to the exact outline of the air intake openings in the bumper and to the edge of the wheelwell openings, this is pretty much impossible to achieve with a pre-cut kit using a thin, flexiable, and stretchable material!!

I asked a few shops in Toronto area, including Advanced Mobile Group, about full coverage, and received mixed responses, most shops just won't do it claiming they don't have these patterns in their database, I suspect they declined most likely due to the extra time and risks involved. I believe Marco does very good job, but I am also quite certain for the full coverage jobs he has to cut film free hand to conform to the edges and openings and leave a fraction of overhang to tuck under the body panel, this is unavoidable IMHO.

A good installer like Patrick whom I used, knows how the PPF reacts to pressure and heat, these film can stretch but do not shrink, so the installer has to know where and how much to stretch the film in order to conform to the body panels properly without causing wrinkles or stretch marks, there are little tricks that I saw Patrick use during the installation, these tips and tricks can only come from many years of experience, which is why I ended up paying him to install the film even though I could have bought the pre-cut kits and attempted to install the PPF myself.

Some good links to read through:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...mate-film.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/concours-and-car-care/673138-paint-protection-films.html post 18 and 19, you just cannot achieve the invisible film edges as seen on this car with a pre-cut kit, at least not without doing some on the car trimming after mucking around with the database software template to create more overlap on the template before the film is cut, this comes straight from some of the more experienced shops, and they also clearly don't like doing it since it takes more time.

Patrick mentioned he has a pattern cutting machine, so feel free to ask him about it if you would like to keep the cost lower with the pre-cut kit approach.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:10 AM
Benny771
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

www.nochip.ca, 3M, $50.00 for a kit......... $900.00 for someone else to do it ????????? thats just crazy.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:35 AM
PbPedis
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Benny771
www.nochip.ca, 3M, $50.00 for a kit......... $900.00 for someone else to do it ????????? thats just crazy.
That kit is hood only. No fenders even. Most of the cost is labour as it is a very labour intensive job that takes hours, even for a pro who does it on a daily basis.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:38 AM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Yup indeed. They had my car overnight. Complete front end ultimate $ 1200
Old 06-14-2012, 09:57 AM
aviography
Drifting

Originally Posted by Benny771
Apples and oranges......
Old 06-14-2012, 10:22 AM
Benny771
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Possible, but i guess it depends on how pickey you are. Im more of a hands on guy when it comes to these things. I just dont see the reason for the cost. I phoned a dealer that has a guy come in to do their cars. 3M, $250 last year, his work looked great. Hood, bumper,rear flares, mirrors.
Im sure there is a guy that can wipe my windshield better than i can for $100.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:02 AM
aviography
Drifting

I'll wipe your windshield for $100!

I agree the installed pricing for these PPF are on the high side, but keep in mind 3M Scotch brand film is the least expensive of rhe main brands.

I also partially agree that installation is not super difficult for the flat panels such as the hood and fenders. But the bumper with compound curves is a different story.

In any case, different strokes for different folks, a Hyundai Accent will get us to work daily or as a weekend car just fine, so why do we buy and drive Porsches?

Last edited by aviography; 06-18-2012 at 11:55 PM.

Quick Reply: clear bra