Notices

Insurance question - Ontario

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 10:04 PM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Insurance question - Ontario

Hi - given that many of us have these nice cars often driven summer only, I'm guessing some might have run into this before and can give me some guidance.

We have a Fit (mostly driven by my wife), Highlander (mostly driven by me) and a GT3 (only driven by me - in summer). I need to keep the Highlander on the road during the summer as its my tow vehicle ...

My son just got his G2 license. Which is very cool ... but ...

In discussing with Cooperators (our insurance) the agent stated that their underwriting rules require that with 3 fully licensed drivers and 3 cars, each driver must be primary on a vehicle. That is going to cost me about $3000/yr extra to insure my son. If we only had 2 cars, the cost to make him an occasional driver would be about $750/yr in comparison.

He is NOT going to be driving any of these cars except on an occasional basis. Its insane to have to pay to make him a primary driver on any of these cars.

I suggested an endorsement resticting him from driving the GT3 - or committing to being occasional driver only, etc. Agent called up the underwriting group but they refused. I know an option is taking the GT3 off the street and just using at track - but that is not an option I want to pursue.

So ... looking for options from anyone who has dealt with this issue - I know there must be a few of you out there ...

I know of someone who had similar situation and split his cars between two companies but I'm not sure if there are any issues with that approach.

I'm going to start shopping around to see if someone will give a more reasonable response ... but if someone has had success with this, please let me know as a headstart ... If you can recommend a good broker in the Stittsville / Kanata area, please PM me.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:51 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Have you called another insurance co to see if you can be sole on the gt3 with them. Leave two with coop and you be primary on one and wife on other.

Wouldn't that work?

You can explicity state that he is excluded from the gt3 at co op?
Old 06-02-2012, 01:05 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Similiar situation happened with my wife's cousin.... Toy Vehicle (Jeep) plus Accord, Caravan as DD's.....

Biobanker's idea may work....

Ouch to be 16....

P
Old 06-02-2012, 08:01 AM
996_North
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think if you put the GT3 under it's own policy, you can't take advantage of the "summer toy" insurance opportunity, as the company you are insuring it with will consider it to be the primary vehicle. My son turns 16 soon, and I will have the same problem (2 cars in the house, and he will be the second licenced driver..wife does not have a licence). I haven't dug too deep yet, as I have a year to figure it out.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:25 AM
Sharker
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I now have 5 vehicles, and ran into the same issue.. 2 normal drivers and my son. I have been with Royal and Sun for a long time, and with my Broker for 25+ years

We put the Range Rover on a separate policy under our company awhile back, so they are ignoring that one.. That leaves 4.
I have a history of taking rolling insurance off the Miata every winter. I did not put it back on this summer.
Down to 3

My Broker was gracious enough to contact the insurance company and explain to them that the turbo was my "baby" and was not a daily driver. He used the history of me taking insurance off the "third" car in the winter to make his point.

I am now primary driver on the Porsche and the old Caravan, my wife is primary on the Town and Country, and my son is occasional on everything (even the Porsche!)

I cant wait till September when my next son turns 16

If you don't have a long (and good) relationship with your broker, I know for a fact that you can have an exclusion on your insurance (i.e. this person will not be insured if driving your vehicle). Check with your broker and see if you can have your son excluded on the Porsche. That should put things back in line..
Old 06-02-2012, 09:41 AM
Xpit77
Racer

Worse part is you have to put up with it until he turns 25.
And, fingers crossed he does`nt get any tickets.
I`ve been through this and there isn`t much you can do but pay it.
If there is x amount of cars and the same amount of drivers they look at it as primary driver to each vehicle.
I do have my 944 on a separate policy with the same company. It makes it easier to take off the rolling ins during the off season
Old 06-02-2012, 12:20 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 1,056 Likes on 503 Posts

Just put the Porsche on Silver Wheels or the like. The other guys don't need to know that you have a third car insured elsewhere.

It would only be an issue if he drove your Porsche, and I'm sure he won't be, so there is no worry.

Or just threaten to cancel everything if they don't help you out. It's amazing what they will do if you call them on it.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:25 PM
saxony_wu
Rennlist Member

Most of us run into the similar problems with car insurance in Ont. I have 6 cars altogether including a 96 993 & 88 911. In my family a wife and 2 young adult kids(age 24 & 19). If I have to go thru a single insurnace policy it will cost me an arm and a leg! This is how I deal with the situation..

---RX 350 under Co name and insured under a seperate policy.
---Subaru Forester under me as principle & younger daughter as secondary.
---MB under my wife as princple.
---Nissan under my older daughter as principle.

These vehicles are all with same insurnace co. Key is to avoid my younger one to be prinple driver of any of them.

I put the two Porsches with Hagerty. Great company specializes in special cars. No restriction or whatsover. Premium is surprisingly cheap. Full coverage for the 993 is around $530 and $380 for the 911. It also provides year round protection. My understanding is they don't offer summer coverage only.

I don't have to inform my regular insurance company which all my other cars and resident are under.

Not sure if your GT3 qualifies in your case. You have to contace Hagerty to find out.

BTW...there is no more age 25 rule in Ontario. Premiumn for young drivers are offered at a progressive decreasing basis. Very small difference for my 24 years old vs 25 next year.

Steve
Old 06-02-2012, 08:54 PM
BT ZR1
Racer

i have 5 cars , my wife and I and my 19 year old My son is an excluded driver on my turbo, ZR1 and my jeep. He is an occasional driver on a lexus. His insurance is about 1400.00 per year.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:36 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

BT ZR1,

What insurance company?

Thx,
Peter (although oldest is only 9 at the moment....)

No insurance necessary.....
Old 06-03-2012, 10:40 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

I had the same issue. M3 and 911. My son went to University and didn't even live with me. We had to change his driver's licence address to his grandmother's address.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:14 AM
fdss
Advanced

take the road coverage off the GT3. You may need to suck it up during the summer months until your son goes off to university.

The university thing is important because I remember while doing IT work for an insurance company, if a child is in university over 100km away from home, the child no longer lives at home.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:52 AM
71pest
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saxony-wu, what do you mean by "no restrictions" ?? I thought it was no parking lots, no taking it to work and it also states no errands!?!
Old 06-03-2012, 06:54 PM
saxony_wu
Rennlist Member

Hey 71pest,

Unlike other collectible car insurance cos, Hagerty has no restrictions. They provide full coverage(liability, collision & comprehensive) as my usual insurance co which is Intak(formerly AXA). Deductibles are the same. They even provide limited milage free towage.

I was told they have a list of vehicles that qualify; minimum value is $15K. No appraisals are needed.

Recently I tried to buy a 87 MR2 for restoration. Talked to them and was told the value of purchase is too small to qualify.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:49 PM
71pest
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info, I will look into it, although I don't have a car..yet, I would hate to be restricted on what I can do with it.

I came close to buying an 86 Carrera Coupe but hit a road block when I had to choose between regular insurance ($3000.00 a year) or the highly restrictive Silver Wheels.

I thought Hagerty and Silver Wheels had joined forces?

Quick Reply: Insurance question - Ontario