Notices

GTA Tire shop scratched my car!! $1300 damage!! WTF need some advice...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 01:25 AM
Frontside720
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GTA Tire shop scratched my car!! $1300 damage!! WTF need some advice...

Try to keep this as concise and F-bomb free as possible. ****!

I got my new wheels in yesterday morning (Roderick RW5's) and I was eager to get them put on so I brought them to the new automotive garage down the street where I got my wife's winters installed. Victoria Park/St.Clair

Everything seemed fine until I woke up this morning and noticed a huge mark on my rear quarter panel. My best description is that someone threw a sand covered pickle at my car and it stuck to it. Then they tried to remove it by dragged it a little bit instead of picking it clean off.

There were some brown little streaks as well and the only thing I could think of is that it happened at the shop. My car is always clean and this is something I would have noticed before I dropped it off. The garage is 1/2 km from my house and I came straight home and parked the car for the night.

So either someone through a rock covered banana at my car or the **** head at the garage did it. Either way, I know I'm going to have to take this right up the a$$ because they will deny it and that's as far as it will go.

My car is at the shop getting an oil change and computer recall done so I don't have pictures but I will tomorrow afternoon.

I had Downtown Porsche give me an estimate and it's $1300 after tax to fix a little rash. Is that not crazy!!!

Here's my question..

Lets forget about the tire shop because nothing will happen in regards to compensation there and I rather not debate this as it will just anger me more.

I can probably find somewhere to do it for $500-$600 but should I use a cheaper "body shop"?

Regardless I am going to get it fixed, just need to decide where.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:20 AM
Caligari
Intermediate

Go see Jimmy at Autotrin Collision & Auto Body - 777 Warden Ave #16. He did some GREAT work on my M3 and Vette.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:15 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

Are you sure it needs a body shop and not a detailer ?

I am sure after the pic we will have a better idea
Old 04-20-2012, 10:17 AM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

which Tire Shop was this?
Old 04-20-2012, 12:02 PM
Frontside720
Advanced

Place is called Bertrand Auto, it less then a year old and I have had good experience there before. I was there when they took the car of the hoist and literally drove it home 1/2km. So pissed.

I will have a better picture of the damage today.

The dealer quote was $1200 + tax and they use Dealers Choice/Preferred Luxury Collision.

The damage is really not that bad but here's what the body shop had to say...

"Yes the entire quarter panel requires refinishing to keep it the same as originally produced, plus to try and match the colour perfectly and edge the panel to ensure paint material adherence so that the repaired section will last as long as the original finish."
Old 04-20-2012, 12:34 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Should have gone to "Simply Tire" as they have been mentioned on here Several Times for Great Service and Prices. Allen (owner & operator) is also a Member on here
Old 04-20-2012, 12:53 PM
Frontside720
Advanced

Yeah.

Should have done it myself too.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:09 PM
Saturn
Racer

A+++++

I only go to Simply Tire or Speedstar for those kind of things.

Originally Posted by Zookie
Should have gone to "Simply Tire" as they have been mentioned on here Several Times for Great Service and Prices. Allen (owner & operator) is also a Member on here
Old 04-20-2012, 01:23 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Frontside720
The dealer quote was $1200 + tax and they use Dealers Choice/Preferred Luxury Collision.

The damage is really not that bad but here's what the body shop had to say...
Call my friends Shop www.luxuryautobody.ca he is really good friend of mine, Talk to Richard he is the Owner & Operator, mention my name
Old 04-20-2012, 11:29 PM
Frontside720
Advanced

I have been told by someone who might or might not know someone that works at a Porsche dealer and they said, shop around!!

Last edited by Frontside720; 04-20-2012 at 11:30 PM. Reason: wrong link
Old 04-21-2012, 12:27 AM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Can you feel those marks with your finger nail? General rule is that they cannot be polished out if you can catch the marks with your finger nail.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:44 AM
Frontside720
Advanced

Yes I can.

Crap
Old 04-21-2012, 09:02 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry this happened to you.

This is still why I use the dealership (only) for tire work, and pay the crazy money. I just don't trust a "tire shop". And if something does go wrong, they have the deep pockets to make it right.

You have got to do a thorough "walk around" whenever picking up your car to avoid these kind of issues too. Maybe even do a walk around before and after, with the service advisor. Don't be rushed. And don't do a pick-up when dark outside.

I'd try letting a high quality detailer work on that body panel before going the body-shop route. Just to see how well it can look, in place of re-painting. It may work. Worth a shot. Expect to pay north of $600 for a full exterior detail. A test panel like this may even be free, if you agree to do the whole car. Depends on the detailer.

Don't cheap out on body work. Use the very best place you can find. Pay accordingly. And fully document with pictures, so you can show the next potential buyer that your repair was purely cosmetic, and not the result of an accident repair.

Good luck.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:10 PM
Frontside720
Advanced

Yeah i prefer the dealer to do all the work but never thought someone can botch a tire job.

I had the new rims and I was a little impatient.

I guess the $140 I saved by going somewhere else wasn't worth it.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:13 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

i would just sand it and Polish it to look better, no point for a $1400 Re-Spray... Put a Band-Aid over it...

Quick Reply: GTA Tire shop scratched my car!! $1300 damage!! WTF need some advice...