Notices
View Poll Results: Do you feel US cars are worth the same or less than equivalent Canadian cars
I have a Canadian car and feel they are worth the same
8.33%
I have a Canadian car and feel U.S. cars should be bought for less
35.42%
I have a U.S. car and feel they are worth the same
45.83%
I have a U.S. car and feel U.S. cars should be bought for less
10.42%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Do you feel US cars are worth the same or less than Canadian cars.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 05:20 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 474 Posts

Steve, there will be many that will pay the same and there will be many that won't. Its that easy. Its not that one is better than the other.

Local cars cost more so used prices after X years will be X dollars. US cars cost less both new and used so I will be offering less for one. That is my option and the vendor does not have to sell either.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:40 PM
swbatte
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ultimately the market determines what something is worth.
I have a feeling that a local car will get a small % more than a US car, but not nearly enough to offset the savings of going south to buy it in the first place.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:46 PM
firesm
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Steve, there will be many that will pay the same and there will be many that won't. Its that easy. Its not that one is better than the other.
Agreed!

Local cars cost more so used prices after X years will be X dollars. US cars cost less both new and used so I will be offering less for one.
And my point is - if you have made up a ton of savings (after paying more for the same car in Canada) by purchasing all of your parts from the U.S. - would you then discount the selling price of your car comensurate with those savings over someone who over-paid for their parts here? (I realize it's a moot point in that you're never going to sell your car - but humour me and answer that hypothetically) And if not - why is that different?

That is my option and the vendor does not have to sell either.
Agreed!
Old 05-27-2012, 05:51 PM
firesm
Pro

But all things being equal, condition, etc. I'll buy a local car for the same money.
All things being equal, condition, etc. - you'd buy the local car for the same money - fine, but how much extra would you pay for the local car for the perceived benefit of it being local - all things being equal?
Old 05-27-2012, 05:58 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by firesm
...would you then discount the selling price of your car comensurate with those savings over someone who over-paid for their parts here?
What I'd do is buy stateside; car and parts, and since I tend to keep things a very long time (I still have that BMW motorcycle I bought new in 1991), breaking even or selling at a profit, does not enter my equation.

As for it not being worth the difference to go south as another member put it, I haven't seen too many 993s in the sub CA$25K range, even with higher mileage. I know of three 993s brought up from the US: US$20K, US$20K and US$23K.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:07 PM
firesm
Pro

What I'd do is buy stateside; car and parts, and since I tend to keep things a very long time (I still have that BMW motorcycle I bought new in 1991), breaking even or selling at a profit, does not enter my equation.
Judge would you instruct the witness to answer the question as asked?...
Old 05-27-2012, 07:37 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Judge would you instruct the witness to answer the question as asked?...
I take it about the parts...which I do not understand what they have to do with the topic.

Lets import a car and sell it the next minute. There you go; no time to order parts.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:43 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

How much extra would you pay for the local car for the perceived benefit of it being local - all things being equal?
I wouldn't; I'd pay less for the US car, and all things being equal, I know the owner can move more on it simply because he has less in it. If you knew exactly what a dealer pays for the new car on the lot, would you not offer accordingly? You would! And if sales were slow, he'd accept sooner or later.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:31 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 1,076 Likes on 508 Posts

As mentioned every car, buyer and seller will have variables. We purchased a Santa Fe in the u.s. just before they began not honoring warranties. We saved over 8k vs buying here plus we got a colour that was not available here, but more than that we got excellent service from the dealer.

Available units was a big factor, we chose the model and colour and they delivered, Canadian dealers just wanted to push the stock they had.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:45 PM
firesm
Pro

I take it about the parts...which I do not understand what they have to do with the topic.
You don't understand what they have to do with the topic? The rational that you use to justify why a Canadian car should be worth more is that you paid more for it here. My point, that you don't seem to get, is if you then upgrade/maintain your Canadian car with parts you bought for far cheaper down south is your Canadian car now worth less than the Canadian car upgraded/maintained with the same parts bought for full price up here in Canada. Yes or No?
Old 05-27-2012, 09:01 PM
firesm
Pro

If you knew exactly what a dealer pays for the new car on the lot, would you not offer accordingly?
If I knew I could get a car cheaper than what someone was asking for it, would I... obviously - I did!

Years ago I bought a new vehicle. The dealer and I went back and forth over price for a week - promises were made, a verbal agreement was made and then when push came to shove they tried to back out, but in the end they relented (and of course still made a profit), While I was signing the deal the salesman was complaining that they shouldn't have been selling it to me for the agreed upon price. Sitting at his desk I looked out into the showroom and saw an old couple looking at a vehicle (the kind of couple that walk in and pay full price) and I said - well I think you'll survive and make up any perceived money you lost to me on those nice people there. The saleman just smiled. So they probably paid several thousand more than I would have - but I guess that would have made that couple's vehicle more valuable then mine...
Old 05-27-2012, 09:37 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Steve, I'd offer less because the buyer paid less. Its that simple!
Old 05-27-2012, 09:45 PM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wink

If I knew I could get a car cheaper than what someone was asking for it, would I... obviously - I did!

Years ago I bought a new vehicle. The dealer and I went back and forth over price for a week - promises were made, a verbal agreement was made and then when push came to shove they tried to back out, but in the end they relented (and of course still made a profit), While I was signing the deal the salesman was complaining that they shouldn't have been selling it to me for the agreed upon price. Sitting at his desk I looked out into the showroom and saw an old couple looking at a vehicle (the kind of couple that walk in and pay full price) and I said - well I think you'll survive and make up any perceived money you lost to me on those nice people there. The saleman just smiled. So they probably paid several thousand more than I would have - but I guess that would have made that couple's vehicle more valuable then mine...
Hey Steve....I know the car business very well.

It's a joke when A dealer loses money on a car. No such thing!!!

Dealers would never survive otherwise. A dealer would walk from a verbal deal in a heartbeat unless they were making money.

It looks like the salesperson was pretty good at his job.

Dealer invoice is also not really dealer invoice. Dealerships always have Factory volume incentives and your car could have been the one to put them over the top and into a better purchase position.

Last edited by Speedyellow993; 05-27-2012 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-27-2012, 09:52 PM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Steve love the GR 993. My next P-car will have to be GR.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:25 PM
firesm
Pro

Originally Posted by Speedyellow993
Hey Steve....I know the car business very well.

It's a joke when A dealer loses money on a car. No such thing!!!

Dealers would never survive otherwise. A dealer would walk from a verbal deal in a heartbeat unless they were making money.

It looks like the salesperson was pretty good at his job.

Dealer invoice is also not really dealer invoice. Dealerships always have Factory volume incentives and your car could have been the one to put them over the top and into a better purchase position.
Oh no - please don't get me wrong - as I stated in the other post the dealer most definitely made a profit. It's kind of like that old joke - how do you know when a politician is lying - their lips are moving... how do you know a dealer is making money on a deal - you bought the car. I understand all about dealer incentives and hold back and moving units and so on. That wasn't the point of my post.

The salesperson in this case was trying to get me emotionly attached to the vehicle by agreeing to a certain price when I initially hesitated about purchasing (during a what do we have to do to get you to sign today kind of conversation). I laid out what I wanted and then he agreed and I still walked saying I had to think about it. I came back the next day and said ok but at that point he used the - my sales manager won't agree to those terms. Spoke with the sales manager and he said no way. It wasn't until I got a good friend of mine from work who was good friends with the general manager to talk to the gm on my behalf that the deal was pushed through. I'm under no illusion that they lost money on the deal - they just didn't make as much as they felt they could on what was a very popular vehicle at the time.

Quick Reply: Do you feel US cars are worth the same or less than Canadian cars.