Notices
View Poll Results: Do you feel US cars are worth the same or less than equivalent Canadian cars
I have a Canadian car and feel they are worth the same
8.33%
I have a Canadian car and feel U.S. cars should be bought for less
35.42%
I have a U.S. car and feel they are worth the same
45.83%
I have a U.S. car and feel U.S. cars should be bought for less
10.42%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Do you feel US cars are worth the same or less than Canadian cars.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 05:36 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts
Default Do you feel US cars are worth the same or less than Canadian cars.

A simple poll to find out if Listers feel US cars are worth the same or less than Canadian cars
Old 04-09-2012, 05:41 PM
Richard930
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All else being equal, I'd say worth more if it came from a sunny dry part of the US where it was driven year round and didn't sit for 3 - 5 months of the year. May not be such a big deal on newer cars, but definitely a factor on older cars.

My 2 cents FWIW
Old 04-09-2012, 05:45 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

good point Richard ..
Old 04-09-2012, 06:34 PM
997inTO
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree!
Old 04-09-2012, 06:52 PM
BT ZR1
Racer

My car spent its time in texas . To me buying a car not exposed to winter does not make it worth less. on the contrary. US cars being worth less is dealer BS. The North American car market is essentially one market.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:11 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 537 Posts

I could care less where the car was from...as long as the condition was excellent. I can tell you that I found that almost every buyer that contacted me last year when selling my 993's would have prefered a Canadian car. I also found that not one buyer was prepared to pay more than what the car would have sold for in the US. No one was prepared to pay for the additional expenses I had like duty, shipping, RIV etc. I learned a big lesson about the local market and now can't wait for a clean car to pop up locally. If they face the same sort of buyers that I did, I should be able to save about 10% vs bringing one in myself from the states
Old 04-09-2012, 07:27 PM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

It's funny, the only reason cars in the US "appear" to be "worth less" (lower price
tags than here) is because there is a hell of a lot more of them there with more
buyers.

I have a US spec 993 that came from the west coast. I bought it based on
condition and price point. No salt and no winter exposure helps me sleep at night,
oh and the fact I saved a little cash. When/if I'm ready to sell, the market
will dictate the asking price. Let's hope widebody 993s will be as, or more in
demand than they are now!

Until then, I'll drive it like I stole it.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:17 PM
Hyper911
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

same or more. Clean car with good solid service is key. Now a Quebec car.........
Old 04-09-2012, 09:45 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

I bought a U.S car for less so it's worth less. I bought Canadian and paid more so I expect it would be more but depreciation will kill it anyways making it valueless anyways.
They are the same car minus a few differences. In my mind they are worth the same in the world market but as Canadians we always have to pay more then the U.S so Canadian cars will always be priced higher and U.S car will always be better value.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:49 PM
jasonintoronto
Burning Brakes

i think most of us think of it this way: regardless if we are buying or selling, we want the best deal for ourselves.

so if i'm buying a cdn or us car, i want to get the cheapest price possible all other things being equal and an american car might offer that deal.

if i'm selling a car, i'd hope that selling a canadian car would have better value. or an american one

at the end of the day, we're all trying to maximize the value depending on what side of the transaction we're on.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:14 PM
PbPedis
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

In general, I think they are worth less, because they are cheaper in the US. Some cars only have MPH on the speedo as well which IMO makes them worth a bit less. You might get less for them when you sell, but you're paying less anyway when you buy, so it's all a wash.

I'm looking at a US vehicle at the moment so it obviously doesn't bother me. The selection here sucks and I'll be saving $10K+ by buying south of the border.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:16 PM
jasonintoronto
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PbPedis

I'm looking at a US vehicle at the moment so it obviously doesn't bother me. The selection here sucks and I'll be saving $10K+ by buying south of the border.
Ooooooh whatcha looking for
Old 04-09-2012, 10:19 PM
PbPedis
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonintoronto
Ooooooh whatcha looking for
haha, sorry to disappoint you, but it's nothing exciting. 2009 Cayenne GTS with a manual tranny. My only concern is that a manual SUV is going to be tough to unload when the time comes to sell. I've made an offer but haven't had a response yet.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:26 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

ugh not this **** again
Old 04-09-2012, 10:52 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

A car is worth what the buyer and seller agree it's worth. If somebody thinks a car is worth more because it was originally sold in Canada, that's the value he's added to it. The next guy might think it's worth more because it's baby poo brown, because he likes that colour. That's the value he's added to it. A problem arises when the seller adds value in his mind for something the buyer thinks has less or no value. Origin of the car plays into this very much.

Or vice-versa. When I was looking for a mini, I found a local private seller who said the car had had a small accident, $2 or $3k. No big deal, we both agreed it had minimal impact on price. When I pulled the carproof, it had had 2, $4k and $11k, I think. He didn't think that detracted from the value. I begged to differ. We couldn't agree on a price.

Quick Reply: Do you feel US cars are worth the same or less than Canadian cars.