Notices
View Poll Results: Do you feel US cars are worth the same or less than equivalent Canadian cars
I have a Canadian car and feel they are worth the same
8.33%
I have a Canadian car and feel U.S. cars should be bought for less
35.42%
I have a U.S. car and feel they are worth the same
45.83%
I have a U.S. car and feel U.S. cars should be bought for less
10.42%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Do you feel US cars are worth the same or less than Canadian cars.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 11:36 PM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a USA car that someone imported to Canada and after a few months they pooched the motor ... too much oil. Now, I bought it and had the engine rebuilt here in Canada to 2010 availability parts. So when I sell I should price it between USA and CDN price? BTW ... the car is in great shape for a 10 year old with 138,000 KM on the clock. Digital spedo is in KM ...

For me, if it's in good shape and what I want, I will try to get it at the best price I can get for it. I won't pay extra for a crappy CDN VS good USA just because it's a CDN car. Overall fitness determines the price, a USA car can be priced a bit below CDN to make a quicker sale.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:56 PM
Kdude
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok here's my take....

I would rather buy a car from sunny Florida than a car drove 12 months a year in Quebec.

As an example I bought a Honda S2000 from the US and in a state that has favorable winter.

I had no trouble selling the car after two years for about 20% more than I paid. The buyer took one look at a pristine car and didn't question my asking price.

American cars are cheaper and ultimately way better value than what you Pay for in Canada .......
Old 04-11-2012, 12:08 AM
paveltchour
Advanced

I drive a SoCal 964, it's definitely worth more than many Canadian cars out there. Not a spec of rust and original paint still looks great.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:48 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 678 Likes on 474 Posts

If I were to buy a US car, I might as well head down there myself and take advantage of the choice and cost savings.

As for corrosion-free US cars, you'll find quite a bit of corrosion on some of them and even in places where it doesn't snow.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:31 AM
MidnightCayman
Racer

I see it as buying for $10k less and selling for $5k less. Hypothetically saving $5k.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:55 AM
Targatoo
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I looked at some US cars and would have bought one if the dollar had been worth more 18 months ago. It was at $0.94 when I was shopping.

I felt that there was one major advantage to a Canadian car, purchased in Canada: recourse.

My car was a Pfaff car, serviced there most of its life. I bought it from a third party, but had it PPI'd at Pfaff. If something had failed on the car immediately after purchase that they ought to have known or found, I had some recourse through Porsche Canada and our legal system.

Not so in the States. I have no right to take an American enterprise to small claims court in many states.

I had once looked at a US car that a Quebec dealer had brought up here to sell. Tell me that that US car was worth as much.

This is the used-car paradigm. The vendor loses value on his asset because the buyer is taking on the risk.

All this said, when I bought my Canadian car in Canada, I didn't want to pay a penny more than the US car for sale down the street
Old 04-11-2012, 12:12 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

US cars can be had for cheaper in the US.

Once you bring it back to Canada, it should compare fairly decently to other Cars on the Market, given same condition. etc. Maybe only a couple percentage points difference in price.

If you want to buy a cheaper US car, most would say, go get it yourself, and bring it back.

Peter
2001 Boxster S, from the US.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:50 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Buying a US car from the US requires time and effort. For me its worth it. For others ..maybe not.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:47 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

I think it depends on the car. It appears Porsches are a better deal in the US.
Ive been looking both here and the US for an E46 M3 for some time and find the sticker price quite comparable. Now I have the cost (25%) to import it. I have no recourse if the car from the US has issues that I couldnt discover.
If a car is a Canadian car, and for sale here, the seller states its a Canadian car as they know it counts for something ....
Old 04-11-2012, 03:42 PM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
I bought a U.S car for less so it's worth less. I bought Canadian and paid more so I expect it would be more but depreciation will kill it anyways making it valueless anyways.
They are the same car minus a few differences. In my mind they are worth the same in the world market but as Canadians we always have to pay more then the U.S so Canadian cars will always be priced higher and U.S car will always be better value.
+1 on this.

You pay less to buy I pay less to buy

You Pay more to buy, I pay more to buy

Its a Pretty simple answer to the question......

Whenever you sell your own crap regardless of US or Canadian, it's always worth more.

I think you guys are forgetting that a car from hot climates can still have salt damage from the bodies of salt water and just as bad, Sun damage.

The other thing you guys are forgetting is that a good percentage of Canadian cars are winter stored.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:57 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 85 Posts

They are worth less if I am buying one.

They are worth the same if I am selling it.

Hope this helps!

Seriously, they should be worth the same but usually the US car will get docked a bit in the Canadian market.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:01 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by PbPedis
In general, I think they are worth less, because they are cheaper in the US. Some cars only have MPH on the speedo as well which IMO makes them worth a bit less. You might get less for them when you sell, but you're paying less anyway when you buy, so it's all a wash.

I'm looking at a US vehicle at the moment so it obviously doesn't bother me. The selection here sucks and I'll be saving $10K+ by buying south of the border.
Agreed, both my cars are from the States, far greater selection south of the border.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:16 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,104 Likes on 789 Posts

wow what amazes me is over half the respondants actually have US cars. I didnt realize the infiltration was so high.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:34 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
wow what amazes me is over half the respondants actually have US cars. I didnt realize the infiltration was so high.
It's huge Clive! When I started looking for 928's most were from the US or Japan. I actually ended up with a Canadian car but tons of imports out there. The dollar has been close to par now for a good 4+ years and that has brought a good number of US cards north of the border.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:43 PM
firesm
Pro

I've read all of the discussions about this on here many times. Looking at it from the perspective of my car (bought in the U.S.), there just aren't a lot of them available in Canada, so that would seem to have more of a leveling effect as opposed to a newer version.

The whole thing does seem a bit silly though. Most people on here with either Canadian/German cars or U.S./German cars who do their own wrenching seem to all be in agreement that they buy their parts from U.S/German suppliers... So I would hope in the issue of fairness and full disclosure that when they advertise their Canadian/German car for sale they disclose all of the U.S/German parts they used and adjust their asking price accordingly... Just to be fair to the people who paid the Canadian/German premium parts prices...

Quick Reply: Do you feel US cars are worth the same or less than Canadian cars.