Notices

Oakville Porsche turbo accident

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 01:31 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

It's surprising the passenger survived given the condition of the car and landing upside down. I hope she recovers without lasting injuries. RIP to the driver.

I've been on this road many times. It's not a road you want to drive at night very quickly or if your not familiar with it. Lots of soft shoulders and decreasing radius turns that can suck you into trouble. It's a great drive but not forgiving in some sections. Lot's of bikers on weekends doing silly speeds around here as they transit to other roads.

Sample of one of the turns near the 3rd line turn off.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:07 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,119 Likes on 801 Posts

yeah that car in the pic was a mess. Strange because everyone knows me at work as the Porsche guy and whenever we have local incidents like this my phone rings off the hook to see if i new the guy .. very very sad .. shows you how quickly a spirtited run can turn into utter chaos and disaster .. is a reminder to all of us with the nice weather coming to keep things in check i would say .. i think it is too valuable a lesson to be lost on us ..
Old 04-10-2012, 12:11 PM
JRRSA
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Sorry to hear about this. Did I read correctly that he was thrown from the car? No seat belt? RIP.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:27 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Originally Posted by JRossRSA
Sorry to hear about this. Did I read correctly that he was thrown from the car? No seat belt? RIP.
That's certainly possible but it is also possible that hitting solid objects can pull the mounts right out of the car along with the seat, car door and driver. Witness the recent SUV accident where the vehicle ended up in three pieces after hitting a pole. It's a sad event and one that makes you stop and evaluate your own driving on roads like these. I remember driving up hwy 28 north of Bancroft one year and in the middle of a blind corner with rock cuts on both sides - a driver who had pulled off the road for some reason pulled back onto the road s_l_o_w_l_y... just as I came honking around the bend. Thank god there was no one in the on coming lane or I wouldn't be typing this today. It's not always excessive speed that kills - it's all the other Murphy's Law stuff added on top that get's you.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:06 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 683 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
Thank god there was no one in the on coming lane or I wouldn't be typing this today.
And neither would the guy minding his own business in the oncoming lane.

There is plenty of sight distance in bends if you are doing anything close to a sane or legal speed.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:23 AM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Very sad. RIP
Old 04-11-2012, 06:30 PM
Bahama
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I remember driving up hwy 28 north of Bancroft one year and in the middle of a blind corner with rock cuts on both sides - a driver who had pulled off the road for some reason pulled back onto the road s_l_o_w_l_y... just as I came honking around the bend. Thank god there was no one in the on coming lane or I wouldn't be typing this today. It's not always excessive speed that kills - it's all the other Murphy's Law stuff added on top that get's you.
Especially those nasty orange pylons
Old 04-11-2012, 06:47 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

yeah you never know when one of those is gonna dive out into the road and get ya ..
Old 04-12-2012, 06:55 AM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

What a shame. Good advice posted here as usual. Lets be careful out there and "keep things in check."
Old 04-12-2012, 06:18 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Originally Posted by IXLR8
And neither would the guy minding his own business in the oncoming lane.

There is plenty of sight distance in bends if you are doing anything close to a sane or legal speed.
FYI: It was a very sharp bend; 70km zone of which I might have been 10 over and the guy pulled onto the road at about 20kph and then stopped for a second and then slowly pulled away again. There was NO sight lines until I encountered him half way around and I had one second to react. I don't intentionally pull into on coming lanes when I see traffic ahead. My option was lock up and hope the POS Ford van I was driving wouldn't swap ends and send me into the rock cut.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:19 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bahama
Especially those nasty orange pylons
Old 04-12-2012, 06:34 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

FYI: It was a very sharp bend; 70km zone of which I might have been 10 over and the guy pulled onto the road at about 20kph and then stopped for a second and then slowly pulled away again. There was NO sight lines until I encountered him half way around and I had one second to react. I don't intentionally pull into on coming lanes when I see traffic ahead. My option was lock up and hope the POS Ford van I was driving wouldn't swap ends and send me into the rock cut.
I know those roads and more than a few bends are extreme without sight lines. From Haliburton to Bancroft there's a spot with a bend at the crest of a hill in a rock cut. So a blind tight curve that's uphill and downhill at the same time and no room at all for error.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:37 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 683 Likes on 476 Posts

FYI: It was a very sharp bend; 70km zone of which I might have been 10 over.
Well when you stated "just as I came honking around the bend" I figured you were "honking" and not doing 10 over the limit.

In any case, having driven that road and many others in the area, I've never had an issue should I have to stop or slow down for a car or critter.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:58 PM
PALETTE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have pictures of the car. if anyone cares to see them i will post them. i really do not want to post them as the condition of the car is very grave, and i feel for the family not knowing them but i do and would respect them.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:10 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

naw dont bother posting ..

Quick Reply: Oakville Porsche turbo accident