Notices

My First 911

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012 | 05:07 PM
jasonintoronto
Burning Brakes

wow - that type of adventure is not what i would be looking for when bringing in a car from the US but glad it all worked out. sounds like most of the stuff is minor even though you found out about them in an eventful way

be prepared for us to be yelling that your car is on fire at the next meet
Old 03-28-2012 | 07:23 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Beautiful car. Congrats Jonathan.
Old 03-28-2012 | 07:50 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

BTW Jonathon shell vpower in the US has ethanol .. not a big deal really .. but thought you might want to know . When I am in the US I usually look for non ethanol gas statiions as they usually advertise. I think Chevron maybe or one of those.

look forward to seeing your intro and story on the 911 forum.
Old 03-28-2012 | 09:11 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Congrats!

What a story. Enjoy.

Peter
Old 03-28-2012 | 10:35 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Originally Posted by theiceman
BTW Jonathon shell vpower in the US has ethanol .. not a big deal really .. but thought you might want to know . When I am in the US I usually look for non ethanol gas statiions as they usually advertise. I think Chevron maybe or one of those.

look forward to seeing your intro and story on the 911 forum.
Ah good to know.... here I was thinking "search for Shell"!

BTW, is there a place to buy Brad Penn in Toronto area? The previous owner gave me a Litre of it with the car to keep me going, 20W50... I'd like to get a full case

Thanks for the "101" thread.... great writeup. Too bad it never took off!

I think I'll go read my owners manual... and order some more bedtime reading material (Bentley manual and 101 Projects should be a good start)!
Old 03-28-2012 | 11:43 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Congratulations! What a story with a fantastic ending. Awesome to hear that US customs was really great about it!
Old 03-29-2012 | 12:10 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by porsche0nut
Ah good to know.... here I was thinking "search for Shell"!

BTW, is there a place to buy Brad Penn in Toronto area? The previous owner gave me a Litre of it with the car to keep me going, 20W50... I'd like to get a full case

Thanks for the "101" thread.... great writeup. Too bad it never took off!

I think I'll go read my owners manual... and order some more bedtime reading material (Bentley manual and 101 Projects should be a good start)!
If you need to get it in the US, ship it to CBI USA just across the Rainbow bridge. Excellent cheap service, used a few times now for various things including rims/tires.
Old 03-29-2012 | 03:53 AM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Saw this posted somewhere here a few days ago.
http://www.germansupply.com/home/cus...me.php?cat=456

Their shop is in Etobicoke

Congrats on your new baby. Quite the story getting her home. I had a similar VR/leaking battery incident a couple of years ago. Like Clive mentioned, a common failure on these cars. I went with an Optima battery so I wouldn't have a leakage problem if it ever happened again.

cheers
Old 03-29-2012 | 06:49 AM
Jonathon Rolstin
Burning Brakes

+1 on german supply, that's where I get my Brad Penn.

Wow, no kidding on the emotional roller coaster. I'm pretty sure I felt like throwing up just reading that... Reminds me of the first time I tracked my 911 and it caught on fire LOL. Stupid oil leaks on the heat exchangers.

Congratulations bro, so happy for you, I know the feeling. First time driving a 911 - "am I actually driving this car right now?" and then - "do I actually own this car now!?" holy *(!@#$ so awesome

Can't wait to go for a spin with you mate... you coming to Mosport on April 7th or what!?

Cheers
Old 03-29-2012 | 08:12 AM
Sharker
Burning Brakes

Grats on the new beauty.. Nothing like a drama filled initiation to cement that moment in time in your mind forever
Old 03-29-2012 | 12:43 PM
Targatoo
Pro

First off, as happy as I am for you, I really wish you'd switch back to your old avatar.

Secondly, it's comforting every time I hear an acquisition horror story. Mine was not as eventful as yours, but definitely one I would describe as bitter-sweet.
Had a car sold out from under me 5 days before I was to arrive in Vancouver for the purchase.
Then negotiated a different Toronto deal from Vancouver, with many frustrations.
Had travel problems.
Major banking difficulties - just trying to get a certified cheque.
My dog died.
Car battery died the next week.
It seems that every time I plan something around the car (trip, DE, whatever) something hijacks my plans - yet; the car has never let me down!

It's hard to imagine joy and anxiety in equal measure.
Old 03-29-2012 | 01:37 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Race Car

Glad to hear it worked out ok but man what a ride home!

You can also get Brad Penn at Ontario Competition Fuels in Mississauga, RP Oil in Whitby or WH Lubricants in Waterloo.
Old 03-29-2012 | 09:42 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Originally Posted by Jonathon Rolstin
+1 on german supply, that's where I get my Brad Penn.

Wow, no kidding on the emotional roller coaster. I'm pretty sure I felt like throwing up just reading that... Reminds me of the first time I tracked my 911 and it caught on fire LOL. Stupid oil leaks on the heat exchangers.

Congratulations bro, so happy for you, I know the feeling. First time driving a 911 - "am I actually driving this car right now?" and then - "do I actually own this car now!?" holy *(!@#$ so awesome

Can't wait to go for a spin with you mate... you coming to Mosport on April 7th or what!?

Cheers
Man, I'm in Ottawa over easter weekend so I won't be able to make it to Mosport!!

Looking forward to meeting you and your car at a GTG soon... we need an update on the rebuild!
Old 03-29-2012 | 09:43 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Originally Posted by Targatoo
First off, as happy as I am for you, I really wish you'd switch back to your old avatar.

Secondly, it's comforting every time I hear an acquisition horror story. Mine was not as eventful as yours, but definitely one I would describe as bitter-sweet.
Had a car sold out from under me 5 days before I was to arrive in Vancouver for the purchase.
Then negotiated a different Toronto deal from Vancouver, with many frustrations.
Had travel problems.
Major banking difficulties - just trying to get a certified cheque.
My dog died.
Car battery died the next week.
It seems that every time I plan something around the car (trip, DE, whatever) something hijacks my plans - yet; the car has never let me down!

It's hard to imagine joy and anxiety in equal measure.
Sorry, my old avatar was my way of making sure I was welcome without a Porsche... now I have one! Haha.

Wow, that is quite the ordeal you went through, but I'm glad to hear the car has never let you down! A loyal companion!
Old 03-30-2012 | 05:36 AM
Jonathon Rolstin
Burning Brakes

Man, I'm in Ottawa over easter weekend so I won't be able to make it to Mosport!!

Looking forward to meeting you and your car at a GTG soon... we need an update on the rebuild!
Yaya... It's coming... I had a setback. I noticed significant wear on many more rocker arm bushings / shafts. Some of the bushings are significantly ovalled out, and some of the shafts are scored, so I ordered 12 bushings and 12 new shafts, and will have the arms rebushed.

Waiting for the parts to get here though...

Quick Reply: My First 911