Notices

i think i hold the record re E-test non PCar

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 04:52 PM
Xpit77
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i think i hold the record re E-test non PCar

I`m selling one of my business van.It`s an older GMC Savana 2500 ( 284000 kms ).Cut a deal with a guy if it passes the On E-Test. Hey no problem,,,runs like a top.
Took it in today.It`s like going to the Principals office,,,even if you did`nt do anything wrong.
Tech comes out about 5 min in and tells me that I need a new gas cap before he continues with the test. Ya ok,what`s a gas cap worth ? ( Price of said gas cap to follow )
It passed and here are some of the results.
HC ppm Limit 76 results 73
CO% Limit .42 results .41
NO Limit 1082 results 910

Results PASSED
Cost of E-Test $35.00
Gas cap,,,$ 34.95

Beat that !!
Old 12-13-2011, 06:40 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

You could have lowered the results by going into the test with 1/8 of a tank of gas left spiked with 2L of methyl hydrate. Mix and serve shaken...
Old 12-13-2011, 10:42 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

No problem! My old Venture went in for the E test and the HC was the same as the limit and therefore it passed.....beat THAT!:-)
Old 12-13-2011, 10:44 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
You could have lowered the results by going into the test with 1/8 of a tank of gas left spiked with 2L of methyl hydrate. Mix and serve shaken...
I thought the trick was methyl alcohol (gasline antifreez) or are these two things the same thing?
Old 12-14-2011, 01:11 PM
Xpit77
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It had a 1/4 of a tank of fresh fuel when tested.
Hey, we are all car guys here and I wanted to close the deal straight up.
If I wanted to " Slip one pass the goalie" for my own car yes.
But selling a vehicle to someone ? Na,, that`s not me.
Homey don`t play dat !
Old 12-14-2011, 01:26 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, that is close! Glad to hear it passed, though!
Old 12-14-2011, 04:40 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

wow if he had sneezed while testing it would have failed
lol
Mechs are pretty good though . My Bro does tests hand sometimes does cars like 5 times doing everything possible to get them to pass .. he is more often than not successfull. if he tags it fails he knows the headache he has just given the owner.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:11 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Originally Posted by Imo000
I thought the trick was methyl alcohol (gasline antifreez) or are these two things the same thing?
Methanol, also known as methyl alcohol, wood alcohol, wood naphtha or wood spirits, is a chemical with the formula CH3OH (often abbreviated MeOH). It is the simplest alcohol, and is a light, volatile, colorless, flammable liquid with a distinctive odor very similar to, but slightly sweeter than, ethanol (drinking alcohol).[4] At room temperature, it is a polar liquid, and is used as an antifreeze, solvent, fuel, and as a denaturant for ethanol. It is also used for producing biodiesel via transesterification reaction.
*WARNING* Toxic. But a little bottle of gasline antifreeze you buy at the gas pumps is twice the cost at 1/10 the volume as a 2L jug at Canadian Tire for the same material.

You just have to remember to do a complete fill up after spiking a near empty tank after you've done the test. For gas line anti-freeze uses - a little goes a long way. I use six oz's to a full tank.

The downside with any alcohol is that too much or continuous use in some cars such as Porsche's can lead to problems with plastic, Aluminum and rubber parts which is why I don't use it in a P car - although for once in a few years to pass a test isn't going to hurt anything as long as you dilute after test.

I have used the 'spike' before clean air tests on winter beaters and cars of such quality.

Some people have reported great results with Coleman Camping fuel which is Naptha another form of alcohol. I've heard of people using Isopropyl alcohol but it just costs you more for the same affect. MTBE works too but is hard to find. Or you can repair your car or scrap it!
Old 12-14-2011, 09:26 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
*WARNING* Toxic. But a little bottle of gasline antifreeze you buy at the gas pumps is twice the cost at 1/10 the volume as a 2L jug at Canadian Tire for the same material.

You just have to remember to do a complete fill up after spiking a near empty tank after you've done the test. For gas line anti-freeze uses - a little goes a long way. I use six oz's to a full tank.

The downside with any alcohol is that too much or continuous use in some cars such as Porsche's can lead to problems with plastic, Aluminum and rubber parts which is why I don't use it in a P car - although for once in a few years to pass a test isn't going to hurt anything as long as you dilute after test.

I have used the 'spike' before clean air tests on winter beaters and cars of such quality.

Some people have reported great results with Coleman Camping fuel which is Naptha another form of alcohol. I've heard of people using Isopropyl alcohol but it just costs you more for the same affect. MTBE works too but is hard to find. Or you can repair your car or scrap it!

My neighbout has a '90 RX-7. Got it as a non runner, we've tried everything to get this stupid rotary to pass, even grafter on a second brand new catalytic from my borhter's 928.......and still failed. Stupid $hit runs extremly rich. Took a bunch spare parts form a car at the junk yard (MAF, ECM, Both coils) then a new O2 sensor in with new Mazda spark plugs, and wires......engien runs very smooth but rich as hell. Been etested 5 times and the numbers are going up.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:16 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Originally Posted by Imo000
My neighbout has a '90 RX-7. Got it as a non runner, we've tried everything to get this stupid rotary to pass, even grafter on a second brand new catalytic from my borhter's 928.......and still failed. Stupid $hit runs extremly rich. Took a bunch spare parts form a car at the junk yard (MAF, ECM, Both coils) then a new O2 sensor in with new Mazda spark plugs, and wires......engien runs very smooth but rich as hell. Been etested 5 times and the numbers are going up.
Found this thread from people having issues getting RX-7's to pass smog tests. A friend had an RX-7 that had high oil consumption and the last straw was he was told the apex seals were N/G. He sold the car for parts.

http://www.fd3s.net/emissions.html

Sounds like rotor's run rich to begin with to solve a few issues with design and may be why Mazda is going away from this engine design.

Major RX-8 issues as well.

http://rotarynews.com/node/view/822

Quick Reply: i think i hold the record re E-test non PCar