Notices

how to clean injectors?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 08:32 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default how to clean injectors?

Has anybody ever effectively cleaned fuel injectors? How did you do it?

From what I've read soaking them in carb cleaner seems to be par for the course, but would like to hear from someone who's done it.

Thanks!
Old 10-07-2011, 09:38 PM
pormgb
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently cleaned mine, leaking was reduced but not compleetly, I ended up buying a new set.

Tools;
-Compressor
-Low current 12v power supply
-Injector safe carburetor cleaner
-Injector socket
-Rubber hose
-Compressed air blower

I basically soaked them over night, I then connected them to a 12v power source with a momentary switch and forced compressed air through them. I was actually able to get some carburetor cleaner in the compressed air hose, the cleaner was then forced through the injector while it was being opened by pressing the switch.

http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/DIYF...orCleaning.htm
Old 10-07-2011, 09:52 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

Injectors have moving parts and are a wearable item. You can send them out to get it cleaned, painted and the filter, pintle cap and O ring changed, but internally it still be just as worn.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:14 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Thanks for the help guys... I'll take them over the weekend and see if they're gone or not....

Part of me hopes they're not too worn and I can get them cleaned... the other part of me hopes they're destroyed so that I can be confident I've found what is causing my car to have zero power.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:39 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche0nut
<snipped>
Your Avatar is very distracting!
Old 10-09-2011, 08:48 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,131 Likes on 809 Posts

Have you done a compression test?
Old 10-09-2011, 10:41 AM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Ice, no I haven't, is it easy to do? I never even thought of it good suggestion.

I ended up cleaning my MAF yesterday because I thought maybe the oil on my air filter (I had recently cleaned it) might have messed with it... What a difference!!!
Old 10-09-2011, 10:59 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

you have an oil based air filter ? those are typically bad news .. Kand N and the like are known to cause MAF contamination . If your car was designed for a good old fashioned air filter go back to it.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:36 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 278 Likes on 187 Posts

Pipe cleaners and varsol?.................................on a more serious note, have you tried running half a tank of gas after adding a bottle of Techron ?
Old 10-10-2011, 09:07 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Originally Posted by theiceman
you have an oil based air filter ? those are typically bad news .. Kand N and the like are known to cause MAF contamination . If your car was designed for a good old fashioned air filter go back to it.
I cleaned the MAF and noticed immediate improvements. I know the car was designed for the old fashioned style but I don't think I'll change it up... being a super slow car it needs all the help it can get (and surprisingly, the K&N does have a noticeable difference).

In other news, ice you'll be proud I drove my first 915 transmission car last night! Grandpa's friend came by their property with his '77 911S, which had a 3.2 in it but still the original transmission... we went for a little drive and after awhile he pulled over and told me to give 'er a go... nervously I did (knowing about the "money shift") but I took her very easy and had no problem! Once the gearbox was warmed up she shifted fairly nicely, 2nd gave a bit of trouble but I definitely enjoyed it!
Old 10-10-2011, 09:09 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
Pipe cleaners and varsol?.................................on a more serious note, have you tried running half a tank of gas after adding a bottle of Techron ?
I haven't... I might give that a go.

I've seen definite improvements in the poor little car since starting to address some maintenance items this fall... maybe she'll see 400k after all!

I think the biggest help was giving her a good wash on Saturday... it was very happy aftewards!
Old 10-11-2011, 12:12 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

yeah second its typical . that is why you need the "pregnant pause " on a 915 between 1st and second . and downshifting into second can sometimes be challenging if the synchros are starting to go .. lke anything else it just takes practice.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:02 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche0nut
Thanks for the help guys... I'll take them over the weekend and see if they're gone or not....

Part of me hopes they're not too worn and I can get them cleaned... the other part of me hopes they're destroyed so that I can be confident I've found what is causing my car to have zero power.
Hey Jon, sorry to hear about your car problems, you can do the injector clean that Pormgb sugested it works great but don't keep the hold the contacts closed for too long as the injectors were designed for long duration pulses. Clive's suggestion of doing a compression test will tell you alot especially if you go a step further and do a complete leak down test. A buddy of mine had to replace his CAT, asit was clogged, he got one cheap from a dismatler.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:24 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Thanks for the advice Mark, I will definitely take the injector tips into consideration when I get to that! Good to know about the dismantler, I think thats where I'm headed to find a new resonator!

How are things? Haven't see you at a GTG this summer!
Old 10-11-2011, 09:53 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Jon, I didn't think anyone noticed, Saturdays in the summer aren't good for me, see you at a GTG soon.

Last edited by Mark Lue; 10-11-2011 at 09:54 PM. Reason: comment

Quick Reply: how to clean injectors?