Fair bit of carnage at UCR DE over weekend

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 01:14 AM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by pontifex4
Derek: no rain, in spite of the forecasts. I was hoping that I'd see you there!
I was hoping to be there!

In the end it worked out.... I didn't miss my girlfriend's birthday
Old 09-27-2011, 01:38 AM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

I did not intend this to be a Rennlist vs UCR issue for the record. We had some accidents too. It just shows that Mosport can give any of us a nasty surprise. I underestand injuries not serious.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:01 AM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
??
Originally Posted by Bill N
What Matt said
???
I will One Up on that "????"

Originally Posted by pontifex4
Seriously, man, if you're going to be an ***, at least make sense when you do it. I don't think this was intended as another "Rennlist is better than UCR" thread. Of course, if I'm wrong about what you meant, my bad.
That is Absured! im offended that you would think that I would think like that!

Originally Posted by hoffa
Wow rough weekend. I found a carpenter's nail in my left rear after the second session.
you think you caught that at the track? that is messed up!

Originally Posted by Christien
I'm concerned when I hear these stories because it's only a matter of time until someone lawyers up and that puts an end to DE days. Eventually someone's going to sue another driver, the organizing group, and even the racetrack, and the insurance premiums will skyrocket. When I was talking to the ambulance woman after my dad crashed a few weeks ago, she said the vast majority of times their services are required are DEs and lapping days.

This does seem to be a bad season for accidents.
thats why we sign that wavier no? so we no sue sue? or is that just to protect the Track? but you can sue a fellow driver?
Old 09-27-2011, 10:15 AM
mdex
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Christien is right..... any incidents at the track hurt all of us. The waiver can't defend if the organizer is deemed negligent, which is how it has been overturned in the US on a few occasions. This is pushing insurance costs up, and will continue to do so I am sure. All it will take is it being defeated and a large judgement happening up here for our costs, and opportunities to go on track to be effected.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:18 AM
swbatte
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It happens. My first day at Mosport with my GT3, two 911s went into the wall in the beginner & intermediate run groups. I thought "what kind of car have I bought?". After my first session I knew I had an absolute monster of a track car; but it's surprising to hear of it happening in the Black run group. Where they getting a little racey with each other?

Such a shame to see good metal damaged, but that's the risk we run.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:24 AM
mdex
Racer

Most of the time cars in the wall are from more advanced drivers. Students should be kept safe by their instructors (and general fear) but once you "know what your doing" people tend to start pushing and thats when you find the wall. Its the expensive part of the learning process, we all hit the wall eventually if we go around the track enough times.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:40 AM
hoffa
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Zookie: not sure if i caught it at the track or not. The Braiden tire guys took my wheel off to inspect and could barely see it, so maybe it was missed at my tech inspection. It doesn't leak under 35psi. Go figure :P

Either way, waste of a DE weekend.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:56 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 411 Posts

I was at the track on the weekend and had some mechanical issues(951) so didn't run much. At the driver's meeting they did ask people not to post things on the internet from the track. I have heard that only one driver was hurt and was released from hospital Sat night. If I were one of the affected I would not want to see this thread on the internet...I am sure they all feel bad enough.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:03 AM
jasonintoronto
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Turbodan
At the driver's meeting they did ask people not to post things on the internet from the track.
that's an odd request. i mean i'm sure they mean well but that's like trying to plug a dam with a finger.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:27 AM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The DareDevil
I was hoping to be there!

In the end it worked out.... I didn't miss my girlfriend's birthday
Ha! Good choice.

Not a bad weekend for me, but I think this will have to do it for the season because I still need to install my lift and garage door before the snow flies, and I'm running low on weekends! I may look at doing a spring event with Rennsport.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:32 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Was the cars going off because of the coolant? I don't remember there being to many 996's in black and I know one has moved up to a 997TT and the 2 others were quite slow and cautious drivers. Must have been some promotions.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:38 AM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
If I were one of the affected I would not want to see this thread on the internet...I am sure they all feel bad enough.
Agreed.

By the way, were you able to try another DME?
Old 09-27-2011, 11:42 AM
fc-racer
Drifting

Track days are dangerous and we need to stop living in the closet pretending that the world outside shouldn't know. There are many sports that have far more deaths and injuries than ours and they don't live in constant fear of being found out. I'd rather see organizations work with and educate the public on track days, etc. rather than be scared of the truth.

If we look at Europe, society understands what track days are and insurance companies price the risk and sell track day coverage as an add-on to their regular insurance offerings. I do however understand organizers requesting that people not post stories and images of people's hard luck, but that's just basic human respect to not kick a person when they're down.

I had my big scare last year at Mosport and haven't gone back since. As Mdex says, if you're pushing hard or run into some bad luck, the wall will eventually find you. Not sure I want to cut a cheque for a GT3 so I made the decision based on my ability to handle the risk. Others should do the same evaluation and make their own decision.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:49 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

IMO, the difference between track days and other dangerous sports are two things:
1. the value of the sporting equipment is often well over $100k, and can be reduced to a value of almost nothing in a matter of milliseconds, with one careless move, sometimes completely beyond the driver's control.
2. perhaps related to point #1, the high proportion of lawyers involved in our sport. That sounds tongue in cheek, but there's something to it. Not many people can afford these cars (which is why I'm not driving a GT3 ) but of those who can, the law is a common profession.

That's what concerns me.

Zookie, to answer your question, waivers only go so far the diligence of the people involved. To make an extreme example, if a driver knew their car was unsafe, was prone to slipping hoses and spilling copious amounts of fluid, had caught fire several times, had never had brake pads changed, etc. the waiver would be meaningless, because the driver would be found to be grossly negligent.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:53 PM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Mosport always was and always will be a serious track for serious skills and MUST be respected. It doesn't matter if you are doing hot laps in a riced out Dodge Neon or a high powered P car. Check your ego's at the door or ELSE! It is supposed to be a fun event after all. Don't let others egg you on to push harder than you should for your skills, and the level of risk you can manage (flesh and metal)

BTW signing a waiver doesn't automatically exclude you from someone who wants to persue legal action. There was a club once in the Kingston area. They had a track day, and someone was killed, and the widow sued the club and won. Every member had to cough up $50g's. (this was many years ago)

Becareful out there, but have fun too!

Quick Reply: Fair bit of carnage at UCR DE over weekend