Notices

I understand why people trade cars in...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 04:47 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
if you are buying from a dealer they may agree to put the car in a trade and sell it to your arranged buyer and save you the tax.
Never thought of that.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:41 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 649 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Christien
It's listed at 8995, he offers me 6 tax in, then is miffed when I suggest financing the balance. He left in a huff.
I just say no problem...sold, as soon as you sell me your house for less than 2/3rd the going rate. That shuts them up in a snap.

I've never had trouble selling. The cars were extra-clean and went for more than retail book value.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:48 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

if you are buying from a dealer they may agree to put the car in a trade and sell it to your arranged buyer and save you the tax.
In the past, you saved the PST on the difference.

Private sales of used cars are now subject to 13% retail sales tax so there is no advantage flipping it through the dealer on a convenience deal.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:54 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
In the past, you saved the PST on the difference.

Private sales of used cars are now subject to 13% retail sales tax so there is no advantage flipping it through the dealer on a convenience deal.
I think you are confused. if you trade your car and arrange for the buyer to get it from the dealer, you can save the 13% off the trade in value. in the past if you bought private you paid only pst now you pay hst whether private or from dealer.
it now creates a bigger incentive to arrange a sale and put it through a dealer for the trade in tax savings think it through and you will see the point.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:06 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

I think you are confused. if you trade your car and arrange for the buyer to get it from the dealer, you can save the 13% off the trade in value. in the past if you bought private you paid only pst now you pay hst whether private or from dealer.
it now creates a bigger incentive to arrange a sale and put it through a dealer for the trade in tax savings think it through and you will see the point.
Brain fade...sitting at the computer at work too long.

I was thinking back to pre-July 2010 where you could save 8% and had to cut a cheque to the private buyer for the GST (which he got charged at the dealer).
Old 04-01-2011, 02:04 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Yes, but the dealer will add their cut to the trade in so, the buyer will have to fork out more than if they bought the car from you.

In any case, is this even legal? Gut feeling tells me that cutting out the gov. is rarerly legal.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:53 AM
force4rmr
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done convenience deals several times over the last 20 years in three different provinces. I'm surprised that it's not common knowledge. There's no dealer markup ( on your trade)and you really get the best of both worlds...best price for your car and the new car, and the tax savings on the trade in amount. It's a win, win... but you still have to find a buyer for your car.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:13 AM
SdeLo
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convenience sale

Our dealer was not giving us much on our trade, we listed and have a few people interested. Dealer is willing to do a convenience sale.

Question: does this make the dealer responsible for accepting payment from the buyer of my trade? I.e. I don't have to worry about cash or going to the bank with the buyer to ensure it's legit?

I trade the car to the dealer and they do the sale?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: I understand why people trade cars in...