Notices

I understand why people trade cars in...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 05:44 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

The worst is the moronic offers that soem make, without ever seeing the car. I keep telling them, come have a look and if you are a serious buyer, we'll make a deal.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:18 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
The worst is the moronic offers that soem make, without ever seeing the car. I keep telling them, come have a look and if you are a serious buyer, we'll make a deal.
I don't even respond. Offers like "I have a budget of $5,000 for a summer toy. Call me if you want to deal." or "I have $10,000 cash in hand." just seems like a scam or something. WTF would I care if the buyer had "cash in hand"? Finance it, lease it, borrow money from your mom...doesn't matter to me...
Old 03-28-2011, 02:44 PM
PPo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purposely make it very difficult for the buyer to qualify to come out and see the car. I set it on my terms, and on my time. If they are serious, they will meet your terms... once they check out to be 100% legit and interested, then I let my guard down and become friendly. Selling a car privately is a huge pain...

I just gave my mechanic a car a few weeks ago... we agreed that he would put it on his lot, and handle the whole deal. He knows the price I want, and I told him that anything he gets over that price he can keep. Let's see how that works out...
Old 03-28-2011, 06:35 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PPo
I purposely make it very difficult for the buyer to qualify to come out and see the car. I set it on my terms, and on my time. If they are serious, they will meet your terms... once they check out to be 100% legit and interested, then I let my guard down and become friendly. Selling a car privately is a huge pain...

I just gave my mechanic a car a few weeks ago... we agreed that he would put it on his lot, and handle the whole deal. He knows the price I want, and I told him that anything he gets over that price he can keep. Let's see how that works out...
Good ideas.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:35 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

I don't know if making it very difficult is a good idea. I just set a common date and time that works for me and the buyer and then stick with it. I don't make them jump through hoops cause I wouldn't want someone to do that with me.

I leave the address for last and to get it, I ask them to call me when they are leaving. This way I'm pretty certain that they will show up. Other that than, I don't screw around with the buyer.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:05 AM
GTASHARK

I'm going through the same kind of private sale experiences that have been mentioned in this thread. Balancing being civil with prospective buyers, while not bending over backwards.

There certainly is strong case for trading in to a dealer
Old 03-29-2011, 10:20 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

If you guys are serious about trading in, I'm happy to take a look and make an offer, but it *would* be at wholesale value. pm me.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:19 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Christien
If you guys are serious about trading in, I'm happy to take a look and make an offer, but it *would* be at wholesale value. pm me.
Thanks Christian. I suspect, however, that some of the lowest offers are still well above wholesale. I understand that though.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:08 PM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 111 Likes on 69 Posts

I don't know if it is the same in Ontario but in BC when you trade in your car you get the HST credit on the trade in amount.

Therefore the HST on the new car is based on the difference between the sales price on the new car and the trade in value of the old car.

This means that if you were to sell privately and buy a new car your private sale price has to be 12% (for BC) greater than what the trade in value would be.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:12 PM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

GST in Alberta is calculated based on the difference as well. Tirekickers and dreamers are always part of the selling nuances.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:33 PM
force4rmr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by canuck964
I don't know if it is the same in Ontario but in BC when you trade in your car you get the HST credit on the trade in amount.

Therefore the HST on the new car is based on the difference between the sales price on the new car and the trade in value of the old car.

This means that if you were to sell privately and buy a new car your private sale price has to be 12% (for BC) greater than what the trade in value would be.
Unless you do a convenience deal and get the best of both scenarios....best price for your car and the tax savings of a trade
Old 03-30-2011, 12:44 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by canuck964

Same in Ont.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:47 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 372 Posts

if you are buying from a dealer they may agree to put the car in a trade and sell it to your arranged buyer and save you the tax.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:41 PM
PPo
Drifting

Originally Posted by Imo000
I don't know if making it very difficult is a good idea. I just set a common date and time that works for me and the buyer and then stick with it. I don't make them jump through hoops cause I wouldn't want someone to do that with me.

I leave the address for last and to get it, I ask them to call me when they are leaving. This way I'm pretty certain that they will show up. Other that than, I don't screw around with the buyer.
Maybe my language was too strong... I don't screw around with the buyer, but I am very strict about a few things... Like, I will not negotiate the price on the phone, come see the car, then we can talk. No, I will not take less, or commit to the discussion unless you come see the car. I will provide only enough details about the condition that are relevant enough for you to come see the car, I will not type out a long explanation of each part I replaced, or take many pictures and send them to you over E-mail. If you can only pay by cheque, you can have the car when it clears... your problem, not mine. No, I will not take it to your mechanics an hour away until you come see the car and provide a CASH deposit. Deposit is refundable of course. No you cannot borrow it for a day and see how you like it... do that with somebody elses car. I don't care what you think it is worth, how much money you don't have, how much you want it or what your wife thinks... if you can't afford it, don't buy it, and don't waste my time. Finally, I always state that the price is FIRM, and not negitiable. Then I am always willing to negotiate once you show up, are knowledgable about the specific car, find out that you have recently looked at other similar cars, present yourself properly, show up on time, and are generally good natured. I also have the advantage of never being desperate to sell... When people show up with a certified cheque for the amount I am asking, I have all the time in the world for them. That happened for the last 2 Porsches I sold, and they where great people who got a very good deal.

...and I like the idea of waiting to give the exact address until the are on thier way over... nice...
Old 03-30-2011, 03:13 PM
swbatte
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a guy offer to swap me some of the art he had made for my NSX.
Really?

I had another one say I know you're asking $45,000, but I have $25,000 in hand. I said I have a $45,000 car in hand

Quick Reply: I understand why people trade cars in...