Notices

I understand why people trade cars in...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 07:50 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 88 Posts
Default I understand why people trade cars in...

With the amount of time it takes to answer questions, take photos, meet with people and go on test drives I think I'm losing money on this deal...and it's not even sold yet! Selling a car is a PITA.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:55 PM
bavorak
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NinetyOneC2
With the amount of time it takes to answer questions, take photos, meet with people and go on test drives I think I'm losing money on this deal...and it's not even sold yet! Selling a car is a PITA.
I feel for you man, selling a used car is not what it use to be....alot of dead beats out there, not to mention dreamers, tire kickers and scammers!

Just be patient and try not to get too frustrated, te right one will come along:-)
Old 03-22-2011, 09:54 PM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I was just really lucky but my last car sold so fast it was crazy. It was gone in less than a week with very little haggling. I don't know if I would have the same luck next time but in the meantime I hope you get some of the same luck really soon.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:16 PM
MiataR
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 10 Posts

I feel your pain... I had to deal with the same hassle when I sold my Carrera 3.2. You will eventually find the right buyer.

Wish I was in the market for a 964. Good luck with the sale.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:05 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bavorak
I feel for you man, selling a used car is not what it use to be....alot of dead beats out there, not to mention dreamers, tire kickers and scammers!

Just be patient and try not to get too frustrated, te right one will come along:-)
I'm taking it all in stride. Came back from one test drive and I told my wife that I wouldn't sell it to the guy for anything he was such a lousy driver!

Originally Posted by Bergamasco
I guess I was just really lucky but my last car sold so fast it was crazy. It was gone in less than a week with very little haggling. I don't know if I would have the same luck next time but in the meantime I hope you get some of the same luck really soon.
I had the same experience with the last 911 I sold. Great Rennlister bought it.

Originally Posted by MiataR
I feel your pain... I had to deal with the same hassle when I sold my Carrera 3.2. You will eventually find the right buyer.

Wish I was in the market for a 964. Good luck with the sale.
Thanks.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:00 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Perhaps I missed this, but why are you selling? Seems to me you care enough about the car that you don't want to sell it!
Old 03-23-2011, 03:24 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

I had a customer call me yesterday, had wanted to see my smart for several days, but I had been driving it. So I thought he was serious. Lives nearby so I offer to bring the car to him, we do a test drive, answer lots of questions about it, spent about 45 minutes with the guy. It's listed at 8995, he offers me 6 tax in, then is miffed when I suggest financing the balance. He left in a huff. What a *****!
Old 03-23-2011, 05:14 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by porsche0nut
Perhaps I missed this, but why are you selling? Seems to me you care enough about the car that you don't want to sell it!
I love the car...just not using it and I don't really have a spot for a "sculpture" at the moment. I'll get another 964 and though mine is a clean coupe it's not exactly a collectible. Would hate to see it go to a **** though...

Originally Posted by Christien
I had a customer call me yesterday, had wanted to see my smart for several days, but I had been driving it. So I thought he was serious. Lives nearby so I offer to bring the car to him, we do a test drive, answer lots of questions about it, spent about 45 minutes with the guy. It's listed at 8995, he offers me 6 tax in, then is miffed when I suggest financing the balance. He left in a huff. What a *****!
I've received some low offers as well. I'm saying here and now that I sincerely apologize to anyone I've ever lowballed. It's quite annoying to be on the receiving end.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:42 PM
peritus
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

It's a balance - put a price tag on how much time and frustration you want to avoid and then reduce that total from your asking price.

It's an awesome car, and priced well, but the right buyer will snap it up quickly when you get to that lower than desired price point.

When I sold Ruby last year, I got at least 3 calls per week for months on end from time wasters and low-ballers. But I was hell-bent on getting my asking price.

Then, I started to get pissed off and lowered the price by 20%. It sold in a couple of days to a really nice guy who was a pleasure to deal with.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:43 PM
peritus
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

By the way, thanks on behalf of everyone for not selling it to a ****!
Old 03-26-2011, 02:06 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Kijiji seems to bring out all the crazies.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:31 PM
Sultan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
Kijiji seems to bring out all the crazies.
I found my car off of kijiji....I don't think I'm one olive short of a martini...my therapist agrees with me too....
Old 03-26-2011, 03:16 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 372 Posts

I am looking forward to entering the game and having some fun with it...if possible.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:44 PM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NinetyOneC2
Yeah I hear ya, my sad tale of woe with selling mine.

Originally I priced it at about 7k (UK pounds) got a few bites then zip.
So as time was getting closed, really hacked the price, to about 4.5k

Now bearing in mind it was an ex-club officers car, a couple of minor things, and I REALLY MEAN minor, cmon for a 20 year old car.

HAS it ever had a respray, HAS it ever had a scratch... FFS !

And still people where expectig it outta a showroom

wasted a lot of time, but eventually sold

worst decsion I ever made in my life !
Old 03-26-2011, 04:14 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by adrian_jaye

HAS it ever had a respray, HAS it ever had a scratch... FFS !
LOL! Tell me about it. I mean if I wanted like $40K I could understand that it needs to be a museum piece but seriously...it's 20 years old...

Quick Reply: I understand why people trade cars in...