Notices

PORSCHE OPENS ORDER BOOKS FOR PLUG-IN HYBRID SUPERCAR

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 09:13 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts
Default PORSCHE OPENS ORDER BOOKS FOR PLUG-IN HYBRID SUPERCAR

Now on sale, 918 Spyder will feature cutting-edge plug-in hybrid technology and stunning performance; first Canadian deliveries anticipated at end of 2013

MISSISSAUGA – March 21, 2011 --- After outstanding customer response from the concept study presented at 2010’s Geneva Motor Show, Porsche AG today announced that the order books are open for the 918 Spyder. Featuring a V8 engine with over 500 horsepower in addition to two electric motors that will produce at least 218 hp, the plug-in hybrid supercar is estimated to consume just 3.0 L/100 km on the New European Driving Cycle (NEDC).

Available for order now at a price of $845,000 (U.S.), production of the 918 Spyder will begin in September 2013 and will be limited to a maximum of 918 units. Orders from around the world will be produced, in the sequence they are received, at Porsche’s main factory in Stuttgart-Zuffenhausen. The first Canadian deliveries are anticipated at the end of 2013.

Sharing genes with the Carrera GT supercar as well as the Porsche 917 and RS Spyder, the 918 Spyder’s design is very closely modeled on the 2010 concept study. Unlike the concept car, the production version of the two-seater, based on a carbon-fibre reinforced plastic (CFRP) monocoque, features a Targa-like manual roof system with removable panels that can be stowed in the front luggage compartment.

The 918 Spyder will be driven by a unique plug-in hybrid system that consists of a high-revving, mid-mounted V8 engine with a capacity of over 4.0 litres, producing more than 500 hp. The engine is based on the racing engine of the successful Porsche RS Spyder, a race car which demonstrated its combination of power and efficiency in the Michelin Green X Challenge in the American Le Mans Series, Le Mans Series and the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Power will be transferred to the rear wheels via Porsche’s compact Porsche-Doppelkupplungsgetriebe (PDK) gearbox.

Two electric motors – one at the front axle and one at the rear – will add at least 218 hp to the mix and provide an innovative, variable method of all-wheel drive, which allows independent control of the propulsion force of both axles. The energy storage unit is a liquid-cooled lithium-ion battery that can be recharged from a standard household outlet and which will allow a pure electric driving range of over 25 kilometres. In fact, under the right conditions, the 918 Spyder can be driven at up to 150 km/h on electric power alone.

When driven economically, the combined fuel consumption of the 918 Spyder on the New European Driving Cycle (NEDC ECE-R 101) is expected to be 3.0 L/100 km, equating to CO2 emissions of 70 g/km. Nevertheless the 918 Spyder will deliver super sports car levels of performance, requiring a maximum of 3.2 seconds to reach 100 km/h from a standstill, with a top speed of more than 320 km/h. It will also be able to tackle Germany’s famed Nürburgring Nordschleife in less than 7 minutes and 30 seconds.

Customers who order the 918 Spyder also have the opportunity to acquire a special-edition 911 Turbo S coupe or cabriolet whose exterior and interior design echo those of the hybrid supercar. The 911 Turbo S “Edition 918 Spyder” features the same exterior colours, carbon-fibre elements inside and out, enhanced leather equipment and numerous acid-green accents, such as the brake calipers, illuminated sill plates, interior stitching and instrument cluster needles. A limited-edition plaque on the glovebox lid will feature the same production number as the customer’s personal 918 Spyder.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:16 AM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Sounds like a bargain, really. Are carpets extra?
Old 03-21-2011, 10:19 AM
jasonintoronto
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the press release contains rendering of the production car - surprising because it's not a third party creating renderings of what the car may look like, it's from porsche itself:
http://press.porsche.com/news/release.php?id=637
Old 03-21-2011, 10:22 AM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

The accompanying Turbo however..............

Old 03-21-2011, 10:46 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

So who wants to loan me $850k?
Old 03-21-2011, 03:59 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

How much are they charging for the Turbo on top of the 918 pricetag?
Old 03-21-2011, 04:14 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Christien
So who wants to loan me $850k?
So you have the extra $167,141 (based upon $845K) already? Import duty plus HST on the US price (Canada will get price raped again) should choke the MTO girl who processes that plate! I didn't add in the $100 air tax or new plate/sticker if that matters.

Looks like the on the road price will be north of $1.1M if you add in the built in cost of being Canadian from Porsche Canada. I'm betting the $845K US list price will end up north of $900KCan at the least.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:02 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

well atleast you can heve the Green Plate and Be Diffrent.... and drive in the HOV Lane :P
Old 03-21-2011, 06:15 PM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

I heard (might not be true) that, to be able to sell any car in Canada, every car manufacturer has to provide 3 samples of any vehicle to Transport Canada for crash testing (front, rear and side impacts). If this is true, how many of the 918 $1M 918s is Porsche planning to sell here to justify crashing 3 of them? 10 or more, would be my guess to make it worth the loss.
Apparently, that is why Bugatti isn't sold here.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:31 PM
NITEALB
Instructor

ok let me try this again. i am an underpaid and overworked pharmacist who is looking to his fellow rennlisters' to help come up with $845k. please help, i would love to drive a million dollar hybrid. jeez, what is porsche thinking with that msrp? is this car really worth the price of 3 carrera gt's??????
Old 03-21-2011, 06:55 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by 1990964C4
Apparently, that is why Bugatti isn't sold here.
Not True, Lambo of Toronto and Lambo Of Vancouver are the official Dealer for Bugatti Cars in Canada. There are a few here in the GTA, i have seen 3 personally with Ontraio Plate
Old 03-21-2011, 09:36 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Zook's correct - there is no problem bringing cars into Canada as long as they meet the US EPA standards and crash tests. Transport Canada has the same standards as far as smog and crash tests. The differences between the US and Canada standards are minor and take a day to change.

Porsche has long had a 'world' vehicle standard anyway - since 2001 - where by the old ROW and USA standards are pretty much the same. Even the EPA has had to give way to CARB standards and the rest of the US states smog levels are 'almost' at California standards.

Canadian standards changed after Free trade came in as the cost to change cars back and forth between standards was silly given the fact that we produce and ship way more cars south of the border then comes the other way. It's about the only thing that was a positive about free trade was the canceling out of the old auto pack.

US standards can be met my the manufacturer providing the data from independent witnesses to the crash tests. The German standards branch TUV are authorized to observe and record the data on behalf of the US government as are several other organizations world wide. Most of the crash data is recorded by the manufactures with independents witnessing - hence the shut down of most government crash testing facilities such in Canada (Privatized), the UK (soon to be privatized) and a reduction in work load in the US.

So what makes it in the US - makes it here unless there are silly marketing reasons why not - which crop up from time to time.

Interesting thing: there was a 959 on the road up here long before they were finally on the road in the US - although it is the only sample of it's kind in Canada. That was the only time I can recall where we lead the standards and not the US.

Here is some private crash testing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwE7I...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-45s1...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTxLy...eature=related

Quick Reply: PORSCHE OPENS ORDER BOOKS FOR PLUG-IN HYBRID SUPERCAR