Notices

Paint correction explanation and recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 11:10 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 92 Posts
Default Paint correction explanation and recommendation?

Gentlemen,

Firstly, are there any hard rules for what can be "corrected" vs what needs to be repainted.

My car has 20 years worth of dings, tiny chips, swirls etc... It also has some respray and small cracks at the corners of the rear bumper.

That said, who do you recommend?

Thank you.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:30 AM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hard to say without seeing it. Most dings can be corrected by a paintless dent repair. Most stone chips can be touched up with Dr. Color Chip. Swirls can be buffed out to a certain degree. Bumper would need to be resprayed. Preferably with all the old paint stripped off first. Can you post some pics?

Last edited by StanThePorscheFan; 03-10-2011 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-10-2011, 12:34 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Try posting it in the concours forum; there's a lot of pro detailers that contribute there and might be able to help you out.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:16 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Some food for thought. I have seen some chips filled and would never go that route with my 964....If you are selling that's your call.
door dings etc.=paintless dent repair
chips on front=best results are front end respray
swirls=a good detailer
bumper=remove and respray
I am a detailer with 23 years experience.
good luck
Old 03-10-2011, 02:39 PM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dwane
.....chips filled - would never go that route ......chips on front=best results are front end respray...
I should have asked the OP if his car has original paint or has already been resprayed before. If its original paint, I would do anything to try and keep it that way. If resprayed before, then might as well paint again.
I agree that trying to "fill" a chip will look horrible. It never ever comes out right. However, you can greatly improve the look of your front end by "coloring-in" the stone chips using Dr. Color Chip product (absolutely no affiliation, just a very satisfied customer). You will still see the "chip crater", but since its now body color, its only visible at certain angles. Do a search for a thread called "Product Review: Dr Color Chip" to see the results. IMO, this option is much better than telling the next owner that you painted the car for cosmetic reasons.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:50 PM
Wes_R
Banned

In terms of paint correction one of the rule of thumbs is if you can feel the scratch with your nail then it is to deep to buff out. Original paint or respray the swirls can be buffed out. With paint correction your paint on a scale of 1-10 can definitely be revived to a 9 and it would be much cheaper then a proper respray of the entire car.

I am in the GTA and perform detailing & paint correction full time.

I have a 993 Turbo S write up I'm working on but in the meanwhile here is an example of my work http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/...3-103-pics.htm.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:19 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by 1990964C4
Hard to say without seeing it. Most dings can be corrected by a paintless dent repair. Most stone chips can be touched up with Dr. Color Chip. Swirls can be buffed out to a certain degree. Bumper would need to be resprayed. Preferably with all the old paint stripped off first. Can you post some pics?
Would one place do everything? Don't have any shots that show the issues...if anything it looks perfect in photos;-)

Originally Posted by pongobaz
Try posting it in the concours forum; there's a lot of pro detailers that contribute there and might be able to help you out.
Thanks.

Originally Posted by Dwane
Some food for thought. I have seen some chips filled and would never go that route with my 964....If you are selling that's your call.
door dings etc.=paintless dent repair
chips on front=best results are front end respray
swirls=a good detailer
bumper=remove and respray
I am a detailer with 23 years experience.
good luck
I've decided to proceed with what makes me happy regardless of whether I'm selling or not. I figure you never know when the right buyer is going to come along so I'm not going to stop enjoying and maintaining the car.

Originally Posted by 1990964C4
I should have asked the OP if his car has original paint or has already been resprayed before. If its original paint, I would do anything to try and keep it that way. If resprayed before, then might as well paint again.
I agree that trying to "fill" a chip will look horrible. It never ever comes out right. However, you can greatly improve the look of your front end by "coloring-in" the stone chips using Dr. Color Chip product (absolutely no affiliation, just a very satisfied customer). You will still see the "chip crater", but since its now body color, its only visible at certain angles. Do a search for a thread called "Product Review: Dr Color Chip" to see the results. IMO, this option is much better than telling the next owner that you painted the car for cosmetic reasons.
There's some respray. I think I'm leaning your way. A friend who has a '78 SC felt a good respray could be had for $5,000. Opinions? Recommendations?

Originally Posted by Wes_R
In terms of paint correction one of the rule of thumbs is if you can feel the scratch with your nail then it is to deep to buff out. Original paint or respray the swirls can be buffed out. With paint correction your paint on a scale of 1-10 can definitely be revived to a 9 and it would be much cheaper then a proper respray of the entire car.

I am in the GTA and perform detailing & paint correction full time.

I have a 993 Turbo S write up I'm working on but in the meanwhile here is an example of my work http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/...3-103-pics.htm.
I'll give you a shout and maybe get you to take a look?
Old 03-10-2011, 04:14 PM
Wes_R
Banned

Sounds good. Pming you my phone number.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:51 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Thumbs up

Good idea to have Wes check the car.(paint thickness?, repaint?, scratch depth?)
If you can get an excellent repaint done for 5k that is an extremely good price.
To repair and paint your rear bumper it should be in the $500 range.
These prices reflect what is available in Montreal.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:24 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 407 Posts

Wes: is the turbo S yellow by chance with yellow wheels?
Old 03-10-2011, 09:30 PM
Wes_R
Banned

It was black with red interior.

lol I wish it was yellow, then a cgt, r8, etc would all be in the same write up.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:07 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 283 Likes on 192 Posts

I've found stone chips easy to fix by filling with paint, taping and wet sanding. Cheap and invisible. Hardest part is getting colour match.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:24 AM
acs993
8th Gear

+1 for Wes amazing work
Old 06-04-2011, 02:08 AM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 0.02
I have found Dr Color Chip to be fantastic at filling in the minute chips and road rash type damage, but trying to fill larger (2mm big) chips is more difficult. You can still see the depression.

Here are some shots of my results filling some of the larger chips.

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...-touchups.html
Old 06-05-2011, 12:38 AM
Wes_R
Banned

Originally Posted by acs993
+1 for Wes amazing work
Thanks for the recommendation!

I know I am long over due for that Turbo S write up but with good weather here I am a little swamped with work.

It's no Porsche but here is a write up to hopefully hold you guys over...

http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/...a-126-pics.htm

Quick Reply: Paint correction explanation and recommendation?