Door touchups

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 11:49 PM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Door touchups

Hi guys,

Now that my garage is finally done, I have the ability to do some work on the car.
This evening I decided to give the Dr. Colorchip repair kit a try on my chipped door. This is the first application of the touch up paint, so we still have a ways to go to completely fill in the chips.
I am thoroughly impressed by how well this system works. The blending solution is truly amazing.
Attached Images   
Old 04-17-2010, 05:55 AM
floete
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice! Please keep us posted on how it goes. I'm sure I'll be in this situation one day ...
Old 05-05-2010, 07:48 AM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I could use some of this on my DD. Where can we find the Dr. Colorchip repair kit?
Old 05-05-2010, 09:43 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

www.drcolorchip.com
Old 05-05-2010, 05:16 PM
Carrera3.2LG50
Rennlist Member

irobertson, I was wondering about their ability to match 23 year old "venetian blue". Based on your experience so far are you happy with their ability to match the paint?

I am leaning towards getting their kit as well. Any advice of which kit to get now that you've tried them?

(Your pics are helpful, but it's a little hard to tell for sure, plus, I know you're not done yet.)

Thanks, Venetian Blue Paul
Old 05-10-2010, 08:55 PM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the standard kit for the 911, and the basic kit for my Jeep at the same time.

I found the colour match to be spot on and it does well to hide small chips.
It does not do so well on the larger ones (like 1/4' or bigger) due to it being impossible to get the paint applied smoothly.
I found the metallic particles do not spread evenly in the larger wounds like they would if you were spraying.
The little chips come out great tho.
The process is:
1) Fill the chip
2) Smudge the excess across the existing paint
3) Let dry
4) Blend the excess away with the solution.

This leaves a nice clean area with the chip filled in part way.

There were some on my hood that, once done, I literally couldn't find them again.

I tried going at some of them a second time by filling the chip the rest of the way, but I could never seem to get any more buildup of paint in the chip itself. I'm going to try another technique for smudging it, as I think I'm pulling too much paint out of the chip the way I'm doing it now.

Off to Toronto this weekend, so it will have to wait until next wekend before I get back to it.

cheers
Old 05-10-2010, 10:33 PM
Carrera3.2LG50
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the additional comments on the kit. I think I'll give them a try on a couple door chips and one bad one near the trunk badge. If nothing else, a good color match will at least make the chips less obvious.

Quick Reply: Door touchups