Notices

Looking at importing from the USA.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 11:54 AM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Christien
Good to know - thanks. Maybe I was thinking of something else.
I operate a dealership in Vancover whose primary business is importing late model European and Japanese vehicles (from California typically). Toyota/Lexus and VW/Audi are about as easy as it gets while Mercedes is about as painful as it gets (assuming you want warranty coverage in Canada) with BMW unfortunately not that far behind (which is the lion's share of what we sell).

Mercedes requires a complete "Canadian Conversion" to activate the warranty which is thousands of dollars, depending on model, and very hard to get an exact quote on until you have purchased the car. However, if you dont care about the warranty in Canada, you can obtain the necessary recall letter from Mercedes USA for a reasonable fee, somewhere under $500 IIRC (we do very little Mercedes product).

Let me know if I can answer any further questions,
Mark
Old 10-22-2010, 01:59 AM
johnsjmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was thinking of buying a Mini stateside. Mini in Canada(BMW) is charging $500 for a clearnce inspection and $2000 for a KPH speedo. Riv says you don,t need the speedo and will give you a form 2 with a clearance letter. I believe to maintain any existing warranty you need Mini Canada involved. If you only want to clear RIV then get the clearnce letter in the US for free and with form 2 go to Can tire for DTLs ,a safety and etest.
Porsche is charging nothing for the clearance letter stateside but P Can is charging $500 plus any work they deem necessary .
Old 10-22-2010, 09:48 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm flying down to Chicago on Tuesday to pick up an 09 Cooper S for a customer. You WILL need the speedo change. Every Cooper I've looked at (and I've looked at hundreds over the last 72 hours) has had a speedo with only mph, and the digital readout can't be flipped over like in a Porsche. It won't pass RIV without the speedo in kmh. That said, the savings are still significant. I called (quite literally) every Mini dealer in Canada, and nobody could touch the prices I was seeing at US dealers. The closest was $1000 more, and nowhere near as well optioned. Plus, it was in BC, so transportation costs are high.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:08 PM
Rinty
Drifting

...should I go to U.S. Porsche dealer to have it done? 996
996:

Make it a term of your deal that the seller gets you the letter. As noted above, RIV will accept a work order printout on your car. It's called a Job Management sheet, the information is in their PIWIS system, and it will state: "Open Campaigns: No." The printout must be stamped by an official Porsche dealer or be on its letterhead.

See post 8 in the linked thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist...for-987-a.html

And here is a link to the RIV page that sets out recall clearance requirements:

http://www.riv.ca/RecallClearance.aspx

Your seller should have a relationship with a Porsche dealer and should be able to get the sheet for you.

Also, as noted above, have the seller check the month and year build date for your car, as it may be older than 15 years. For RIVs purposes, they go month by month, back to the 15 years.

Also, I spoke with my neighbourhood Porsche wheeler dealer yesterday, and he said that Canada Border Services have been really picky lately about verification of purchase prices. So you'll want to have copies of your purchase ad, and recent pricing information, to prove your purchase price.

Good luck.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:26 PM
johnsjmc
Racer

Brought a 996 and a 993 up last summer and a Harley Sportster. They were more suspicious of the sale price on the Harley but probably should have questioned the 996. Harleys are cheap in Florida and I almost stole this one. The border guard was probably a Harly fan and doesn,t know anything about older P car prices.Get your stories straight and delete any conflicting emails on your computer before crossing. If they get suspicious they will call the seller and might even demand access to your emails. Been there.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:00 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Yes, used Sportsters go for deep discounts. I handled a local purchase for my Dutch brother in law last year, and the seller had to give me a bank draft payable to Harley Finance for $5,100, in order to clear the title.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:14 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

To give you guys another idea of the savings, I'm off to Chicago tomorrow morning (waaaaay too early...) to pick up an 09 Cooper S for a customer. He'd previously been in at the local BMW dealership. He's trading in his old Cooper and a second car. BMW offered him an 07 S with 22k at $27k, we're getting him an 09 S with 11500 miles (18.5k) for 30 + cost to get it home (maybe $500), and that includes $2400 to BMW to swap out the speedo and register the warranty in Canada. It's an easy deal for us, though, because BMW tried to hose him on his trade-in - we're giving him $3k more, and we've already got his old car sold before it's even arrived.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:23 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for everyone answer. The car I'm looking at is org. a Canadian car and been export to US 11 years ago. Can I get the Job Management sheet from Canada Porsche dealer and have them stamped?
Old 10-25-2010, 05:34 PM
Rinty
Drifting

RIV will accept a printout from either a Canadian or U.S. official dealer's vehicle service database.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:31 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Roger Jobs Porsche at Bellingham is going to print and stamped the letter for $25USD! So it done and I'm bring the car up on Thur!!
Old 10-27-2010, 01:50 AM
Rinty
Drifting

Congrats!
Old 11-30-2010, 11:16 AM
bueller20
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

I am flying down stateside later this week to pickup my 08 RS 60. I have all the forms ready and submitted to the border crossing this morninig. I had the dealer activate DRL, change the speedo, and get me the job management report.

My only question(s) are around the inspections required in Ontario. Once Can Tire inspects and stamps the RIV form (Form 2 i believe?), I submit them to the RIV and wait for my window sticker. Do I still however need to get an e-test and safety done in order to get my Ontario plates/registration?

This is the only area I am confused about. Any help would be appreciated..sorry for the stupid questions...I can't wait till she is here!
Old 11-30-2010, 11:23 AM
Richard930
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You do - CDN tire can do that for you at the same time
Old 11-30-2010, 11:28 AM
bueller20
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Richard!
Old 11-30-2010, 11:54 AM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Yes. You need all the above. The Canadian tire should be able to do it for you.

The etest will probably be a TSI and won't need to actually go on the dyno.

The safety is pretty cursory but the tech will have to put the car on a hoist and check all safety related items.

Quick Reply: Looking at importing from the USA.