Recall clearance letter for 987

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 04:40 PM
orangem
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recall clearance letter for 987

Question for you guys importing a 987.
I got the recall clearance letter from PCNA saying it needs a instrument cluster change. Of course I would like to avoid that, so I asked my dealer to give me a recall clearance letter. All they can give me is a page called Work with Recall Detail File. All it does is showing the recalls that have been done and the status is "*" on the side. Nothing stating that there are no recalls outstanding. He told me that the "*" means the work is done.
1.Does that look like the recall letter you got from your dealer or there is some other one and did it get accepted by RIV?

I2.f I use PCNA recall letter (with cluster change request), if I use that with Form 1, will RIV send back asking me to change the cluster on the Form 2?

Thanks
William
Old 05-06-2008, 04:57 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default recall clearance letter

William:

Does your car's speedometer have an inner kilometre scale?

The clearance letter I just got for my 993's import into Canada has a qualifier in the instrument cluster sentence: "If not already completed..." Since the car has a dual speedometer, it meets RIV's requirements.

Rinty
Old 05-06-2008, 05:42 PM
orangem
Advanced

My speedo has mph markings and digital kph readout.
On the letter it said "If not already completed, in order to bring this vehicle into compliance with Canadian safety standards, the instrument cluster, and vehicle labels must be replaced with the respective Canadian versions."
Old 05-06-2008, 06:46 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Default Recall clearance letter

William:

I checked with the Canadian Tire facility that did my RIV inspection this morning, and they told me that a digital kilometre speedometer is fine.

However, it seems to me that the application of the RIV rules, such as with respect to the child restrain tethers, may be a bit uneven. You might want to check your local sources to find an inspection facility that is flexible in the interpretation of the rules. Good luck!

Even though my dual speedometer meets RIV requirements, I am still sending it to North Hollywood this winter to be converted to metric. The inner km scale markings are too small, and their colour does not contrast well with the background. N.H. charges $240 plus shipping to change over the speedo, odo, and trip odo. And my tech says that the instrument comes out easily.

Rinty
Old 05-07-2008, 05:51 PM
orangem
Advanced

Thanks for your inputs so far.
I wonder what does recall clearance letter issued from dealer looks like. Does it state no outstanding recalls?

William
Old 05-07-2008, 08:48 PM
Sputter
Pro

Originally Posted by orangem
Thanks for your inputs so far.
I wonder what does recall clearance letter issued from dealer looks like. Does it state no outstanding recalls?

William
It will state "no open campaigns" if printed from the dealers system. (assuming there is none)
Old 05-07-2008, 11:23 PM
fdss
Advanced

The problem is the clearance letter now has to come from the manufacturer not a dealer.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:47 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

Ask a US dealer for the printout from PIWIS.

Make sure they stamp it.

You do not need anything else. This is what the form looks like.
Attached Images  
Old 05-09-2008, 10:43 AM
Denis54
Intermediate

Mine looks exactly like the one YYC930 posted above. RIV accepted it with no problem.

Regarding the child restrain tethers, the RIV told me it did not apply to my Cayman because it does not have a rear seat. My understanding is that it only applies if your vehicle has a rear seat which obviously a 987 has not.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:27 PM
orangem
Advanced

thanks YYC930, this is exactly what I am looking for. Emailed the sample to dealer and they will print me one.

thanks a lot!
Old 05-13-2008, 06:32 PM
Bighead
AutoX

Originally Posted by orangem
My speedo has mph markings and digital kph readout.
On the letter it said "If not already completed, in order to bring this vehicle into compliance with Canadian safety standards, the instrument cluster, and vehicle labels must be replaced with the respective Canadian versions."
Strange...my importation of the 987 bears no such issue with regard to the clearance letter.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:42 AM
aron in toronto
Pro

The service tech at the Canadian Tire center that did the inspection on my Boxster told me that I had to have the rear child seat tethers "in" the car. He said I could "install" then in the glove compartment for all he cared, just as long as they were in the car at the time of the inspection. He even suggested that I keep the receipt for the them so they could be returned after the inspection. I bought the generic tethers for around $5 next door in the retail side of CT. The entire inspection not including the smog test took less than 10 minutes. I drove the car into the service bay and the tech went through all the items on the RIV checklist. He said they do lots in RIV inspections and rarely have any issues.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:23 PM
kunkstyle
Racer

The tether issue is rediculous. They didn't even look for mine. After CT faxed my paperwork away to the RIV they asked me "Ummmm, you can't put child seats in there, can you?".

Guess she didn't realize that the seats folded up.

It does seem odd though that the recall letter would have anything about the speedo. The recall clearance should only have that... recalls. It shouldn't indicate anything about importing specs...
Old 05-16-2008, 03:46 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Default child tethers

The RIV Form 2 that I received for my 993 does not require an infant restraint system, only an "infant restraint kit."

So if it's in the glove box, it should, technically, comply.

My tech says that the restraint anchors are in fact in there, but it's just getting to them that might be an issue if you wanted to use infant seats. In my owners manual there is a picture of a Canadian car rear seat which has little rectangular cut outs,where presumably the tether strap goes through.

I think the tether restraint system is a good idea if you're going to be carring kids, but the way the rule is being enforced is not really effective.

But the whole RIV process is probably in place mainly to protect Canadian manufacturing and retailing interests, anyway.

Rinty
Old 08-12-2010, 09:34 AM
Paseb
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 54 Posts

sorry for putting that thread back to life,

is there a way to get this piwis job management document for free?,
i can get it from a guy but hes asking me 100$

thx sebastien

Quick Reply: Recall clearance letter for 987