Notices

and you thought IMS was scary

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 12:35 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,172 Likes on 840 Posts

i think it is a 3 litre air cooled personally ..
Old 01-25-2011, 01:10 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Sorry my mistake I was thinking, in this decade. Since I thinking of a new toy.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:27 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
i think it is a 3 litre air cooled personally ..
You air cooled guys like to spread the misnomer of 'air cooled' while 12 quarts of oil spew out the back end for me to clean up on the track. Shouldn't the design of this engine be considered 'oil cooled' if we're honest?
Old 01-25-2011, 01:40 PM
Sultan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
You air cooled guys like to spread the misnomer of 'air cooled' while 12 quarts of oil spew out the back end for me to clean up on the track. Shouldn't the design of this engine be considered 'oil cooled' if we're honest?

Only Rally Guy's 964 spews 12 quarts of oil...the rest of us only spew about 6 quarts..
Old 01-25-2011, 01:44 PM
PPo
Drifting

One other issue: When a worker is holding up a firebottle at the wall or rail to you and points at you - this means what?
None of the above...

It's an invitation to spray the firebottle all over the grid girls at the end of the lapping day you just won.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:49 PM
PPo
Drifting

During a race, I once had a connecting rod go through the block at the entrance of turn 2 at Mosport. Oil caught fire all over the engine bay, very little steering (tires covered in oil and coolant), very little brakes, no vision initially, and a tonne of heat.... put the car on the grass, and coasted down the hill right to the marshalls waiting with fire bottles ready for action. They where awesome, got me out safe, and saved the rest of the car.... it really pays off to know where the marshalls are, they save more then your car!
Old 01-25-2011, 01:57 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

yup ..oilcoolman is my hotmail address.....
Old 01-25-2011, 03:18 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Originally Posted by theiceman
yup ..oilcoolman is my hotmail address.....

Ok thats settled...
Old 01-25-2011, 03:29 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Originally Posted by PPo
it really pays off to know where the marshalls are, they save more then your car!
We use orange cones at Toronto (Indy) on the fences where the drivers are told to stop if they have a fire and in Montreal we had a white board with the letter 'F' on it. I overheard a race fan (American accent) behind me at lunch one year (second bend in cor 1) wondering out loud to his friend what the F stood for and finally looked over at us and asked us what it was for. Without missing a beat our communication operator turned around and said it meant - 'F**ked!' I just about chocked on my food - she’s the type of girl that butter wouldn't melt in her mouth. We laughed about it for hours as I guess it does sum it up nicely. You had to be there I guess. <shrug>

Good to hear you kept it out of those tires down there - good job.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:17 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Granger968
Oh come on guys, you all enjoyed the excitement... You've been talking about it for 2 yrs actually, with Iceman right at the top of that list
Made my session more fun I can assure you lol
Old 01-25-2011, 06:25 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Yup, though if it let go on the street and following the speed limit, you'll probably not have an issue unless you taking a on ramp and highway speeds.

Coolant hitting a rear tire and it's all over. Coolant is like hitting black ice and even with TCS PSM and everything can't help.

Running water wetter is an option though you may be doing more damage to the engine then you think. It doesn't cool the engine as well and you'll be running the engine at higher temperatures which will decrease engine life.
That may be fine for those that don't keep cars but the next guy will pay for it.

Does any one know if they are gluing in the fittings on the 2009+ 9A1 engine based models?

I'm thinking the most reliable Porsche engine, may be the non DFI 9A1 engine out of the 2009 Cayman (non S).

Greg,

The car cited in the 1st post was a 996TT and Farzaan's GT3 has a significant amount of tracktime on it (far more than average). Eventually something will let go on a tracked car, it's just a matter of when. I don't think that's enough to say that any one series of engines are unreliable.

As these cars get older and more and more high stress life is applied to them, we will uncover more and more issues that need remedying, this press fitting for instance. Your C4S has seen a metric f**kton of track days as well and while i'm sure you're spot on with your maintenance schedules, a worn plastic line bracket could finally let go, a hose tear, an ______ happen, etc....

What's the solution proposed to the fitting problem? Just put a saftey loop on it?
Old 01-25-2011, 06:47 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Omar this seams to bea real problem as Greg points out .. Even exellence had an article on it showing all the failure points and remedied fixes .. sure you will get more wear and tear at a track .. all the more reason to address the known weak areas of the car .. these are actually robust cars with robust engines . i just don't know how robsust they will be if they are running at a track or on the highway and dump coolant .. even a " minor" leak . will casue coolant to pour out and the engine to over heat . overheating an aluminum engine could be bad news even if you do it once. Certainly worth checking the areas Greg points out for leaks..
Old 01-25-2011, 06:57 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Granger968
Oh come on guys, you all enjoyed the excitement... You've been talking about it for 2 yrs actually, with Iceman right at the top of that list
Oh yeah "exciting" isn't the word I would use: "terrifying" fits better.
Of course I was on the receiving end once again in September behind...you guessed it, a 996 GT3!
Old 01-25-2011, 07:01 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 222 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Running water wetter is an option though you may be doing more damage to the engine then you think. It doesn't cool the engine as well and you'll be running the engine at higher temperatures which will decrease engine life.
My car actually runs COOLER with water.

I run what Cup Cars and what every other race car runs ... water.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:17 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
My car actually runs COOLER with water.

I run what Cup Cars and what every other race car runs ... water.
yes and they rebuild their engines after so many race hours and it's mandated that they run water for safety not because it runs cooler, which i don't buy into "cooler" at all.

Quick Reply: and you thought IMS was scary