Notices

Weird speeding ticket

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 05:00 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

I agree, driving style in the Netherlands and the rest of Europe is vastly different and more "civilized" than what we see on this continent. Every time I'm over, I have to change my driving style just to fit in with the rest of the drivers. When come back back here, it's frustrating for a bit and takes a good week to get used to the mayham that we have on our roads. I think, some of it is enforcement but most of it has to be driver education. Getting a license in Canada is way too easy and the the requirements are almost none existent when you compare to what it takes to get it in Europe.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:04 AM
MY86Carrera
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jim 7
A 102 in a 90 and getting an attitude is worthy of the title '*****'.

IMO policing on the highways is totally wrong.

Forget that the limit on the highways at 125 is different but in my visit to the Netherlands I saw really good enforcement methods and not directed to speed alone either. It started with totally stealthy cars such as a C Class sedans or 3 series 4 doors or even a Volvo wagon. The officers were in street clothes and the patrol cars had a rising sign in the back window. POLITIE.... with a flashing arrow. Driving discipline was extraordinary and I asked my cousins about this and they agreed that there was no lenience if you were pulled over, 2 persons to a car with 360 degree video. The police brought the driver to their car and showed the incident and advised the driver of the violation, similar to here with points and really big monetary penalties. Now should your car have out of country plates then you lose your car unless you can pay the ticket. Cops will drive to the nearest ATM to assist in this transaction. This scene is played out on national television in a very popular TV show Sunday nights. A couple of things I found while driving there were A. absolutely no passing on the right. B. Do not EVER drive across a solid line C. Don't go on the shoulder marked as 'Emergency only' unless your having heart attack. D. Drivers pay attention, because you just don't know.

End result. Traffic moves along smartly without left lane hogs and cell phone idiots and drivers signal lane changes. I liked the roundabouts and lack of stop signs in favour of yield signs too.

I don't know the stats for the country but it is a small place with really nice roads with traffic that seems to flow quite nicely. It's a culture thing I guess.
Jim - I agree with you for the most part - I wish there was no passing on the right, but at some point it was written into the HTA that you can...

My opinion is - for example - passing only to the left and if someone won't pull right to let a vehicle by = offense and ticket/ HTA is a book of rules = ticket if rule is broken. So if the rule effects someone or resulting is an accident that is when the ticket should be given. As for speed, if it affects someone or is a factor in the accident that is when the section should be use - remember that is my opinion and please don't take out of context of this thread

Speedyellow993 - am I that predictable
Old 09-03-2010, 09:46 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
scapegoatable.

I like this word Dave. It may not be in Websters ... but it should be.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:17 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

Decided to go with Zookie's paralegal. We'll what happens.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:14 AM
PPo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Brad always good to hear opinions from a different side of the coin.
+1... Glad Brad is here...
Old 09-08-2010, 11:40 AM
MY86Carrera
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Imo000
Decided to go with Zookie's paralegal. We'll what happens.
I think this is the smart thing to do ... keep us informed

BG

Quick Reply: Weird speeding ticket