Notices

Weird speeding ticket

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 11:47 AM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
I don't even think a lawyer is needed for this ticket. Go fight it, both cops will have to show up for court and I doubt either of them will so it will be thrown out immediately.
they get paid Double/Over Time to Show up Weather they Win or Lose... They will Show. Specially with 49 over i would not chance is with out a Legal Aid

Dont ask me how i know this. Ex Ex Girl Friends, Elder Sisters Ex Boyfriend is/was OPP, told me a lot of instresting stuff... Also my Paralegal confirmed this...
Old 09-01-2010, 11:58 AM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
I don't even think a lawyer is needed for this ticket. Go fight it, both cops will have to show up for court and I doubt either of them will so it will be thrown out immediately.
I tried doing that and lost. You do need a good paraleagal.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:25 PM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm a bit confused. How did the cop in the pick-up truck pull you over?
Old 09-01-2010, 12:32 PM
Sultan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by The Stig
I'm a bit confused. How did the cop in the pick-up truck pull you over?
+1 I would have kept on going......
Old 09-01-2010, 12:54 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

Made an appointment for tomorrow with Zookie's lawyer to see what he has to say.

The officer pulled next to me, with his window down, and yelled to pull over. Since he only had small strobed near the grill of the truck, and I was on a bike, I could't see his lights. As soon as I heard him, looked over and saw the OPP on the truck's door. Pulled over right away. First thing he asked was the keys. I already had the engine off and had no plans of making a run for it but he did have one hand on either the taser gun or his handgun.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:58 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Imo000
The first officer said that I wil be issued a speeding vilation based on that he paced me with his truck's speedometer and a GPS, but there was no mention of a radar....He was in a jacked up Ford F-350
If his truck was modified with different wheel sizes, his speedo can read significantly off compared to how it was calibrated for stock. GPS will correct for that though, but did he actually have it with him, on and running or did he just say he had it.

This whole story is weird man. *Tin Foil Hat On* Sounds like they just wanted to ding you because you're on a bike and lets face it...if it was a sportbike, you're basically scapegoatable.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:01 PM
1 PGH 1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
Made an appointment for tomorrow with Zookie's lawyer to see what he has to say.
+1 for Zookie's paralegal ... ask me how I know
Old 09-01-2010, 02:23 PM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Mr. Off Duty Copper had a hard-on for you and was going to get you no matter what it took, by the looks of it. Was he going to shoot you if you drove off? That's a bit agressive.

It was the end of the month, so you know, ticket quotas must be met.

Not sure of the legality of it all, but it seems contrived. Best of luck in fighting it, I hope you get a good result.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:27 AM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You need to fight this! Bring a pro!
Old 09-02-2010, 12:50 PM
MY86Carrera
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of you would like me to stay away from threads like this .... oh but I can't. I don't try to give legal advise or put water on the thread - this is for you guys to banter and vent - I'm not here to prevent this. On the subject of being pulled over by one copper and ticketed buy another - legal ( although rare ) there is no problems with this - eg. I stop a car out of my county - give my evidence to the issuing officer. In that case I am the witness ( same as any witness to say a traffic accident ) Also remember that the officer has 30 days in which to issue a part one - so I see something really stupid on my day off - I can make notes and issue a ticket in that 30 days. I could even see something in my county on my day off and find that the person lives in Pickle Lake - I could contact officers there to issue a ticket to the offender - as long as its in 30 days. Now I have to ID the driver and the ticket has to be the driver - so if the driver is not the owner there is a problem - but a little investigation could lead to the driver being identified. How am I doing so far?

So if the vehicle was a clearly marked police vehicle - officer most likely not on a day off - so most likely out of area. Legal stop.

As to pacing a vehcile - speedo is calibrated ( for that vehicle and how that vehcile is retrofitted ) So pacing is a legit method of acquiring a speed of offending vehicle. Remember we do this every day we work - so you get good at it just like every other thing you practice at.

Not sure what double overtime is ( except in hockey ) but court is usually on a dayshift - but yes if its a day off we get compensated just as everyone else gets compensated for overtime ( not self employed folks ... sorry ). So hearing it from a friend of a friend who knows a friend of a cop - lol . OH and I have said this before - we are REQUIRED to show for court - its part of our job so if it happens that it is a day off that is when it is. Most defendants are asked if the date is good for them - the cop ... almost never. So not showing for court is usually met with some form of punishment.

Not sure what else to say - I not bitching or trying to dampen the venting - just adding another dimension to the converstaion - insight if you will.

Happy to talk as always - PM or email

Brad
Old 09-02-2010, 01:11 PM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Brad,

I'm glad you chimed in. It's important to know and understand what is legal and legit. I appreciate your insight. I didn't realize any of this stuff was possible, but makes sense based on your explanation.

Cheers.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:33 PM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I asked friends and family LEOs and they confirm what Brad has advised.

They also said that you should fight the ticket anyway, as you will likely at least get a reduced fine or fewer points.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:43 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

I've talked to an RCMP officer last night (family member) and, except for the 30 day part, she said the same thing. I'll see in a couple hours what the paralegal can do.

Just a question for those that might know more about how these scenarios work : Is there a reasonable amount of time that is acceptable to wait for the second officer to arrive? We were on the side of the 407 for 50 minutes before the second officer arrived. Half way into the wait an Golf spun out in the fast lane just as it passed us. It was pure luck that the car ended up sliding sideways in the middle lane and no one hit it.( this was right around 5:30pm, westbount, passed Mississauga Rd., near the 401) Even by the officer's admission this was not a good place to be for long. But by the time I left, it was 1:05hr after getting pulled over. Only took maybe 2 min for me to gear up and leave, the rest was me standing on the side of the shoulder. The officer was sitting in his truck pretty much until the second officer arrived. After seeing and hearing the VW do two 180s, I was nervous as hell. Last thing I wanted was to bite the bullet for wating for a second officer, cause the first one can't write a ticket.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:23 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Did the cop waiting with you not do anything after the VW spun? I would seriously be concerned for the state of our law enforcement agencies if they're more concerned with not letting a speeding ticket go than with protecting the public safety.

In such a case, I would tell the officer that you're not comfortable sitting at the side of the shoulder and you're moving to a safer location. Not ask, tell. You're not under arrest (HTA) and I don't think he can legally prevent you from doing so. Brad?
Old 09-02-2010, 03:17 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

I was seriously contenplating that but didn't want to be disprespectfull so I shut my mouth. The WV drove away.

Quick Reply: Weird speeding ticket