Notices

Simply tire, simply awesome!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 08:29 PM
Jake Ok
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no need to shop around in Canada. US prices on the high end stuff is barnone. Been doing it for many years. The deals on eBay if you find a good one can be awesome...but you have to be patient.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:39 PM
Jake Ok
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jasonintoronto
that may be true, but tirerack charges a lot more for shipping to canada, plus you have to add mounting costs to compare apples to apples. here are the additional fees that from tirerack take from their website with a toronto destination:

tires $836 (before tax and shipping)
shipping $120.68
hst $123.23
duty $58.52
provincial tire fee: $23.36
brokerage fee: $30
grand total $1,191.79 + mounting fee

add your mounting fee when you get them.

prices at a local tire shop:
$525 for 2 fronts
$680 for 2 rears
$1205 for four
$1361.65 after tax i'm not sure if price includes mounting but believe it does.

the price difference is not as much as you think.

I respect this forum very much and it has helped me in several occassions, so here is one back to you folks.

1. Set up a mail box in Buffalo - can be use for other Porsche items - save huge there too.
2. Shipping for tires about $40
3. Drive down and pick them up gas $40 (brownie points if you take the family shopping at the outlet mall)
4.Use your decretion and your cost should be about $920 for the set.
$440 savings = a nice track day + steak dinner....Priceless
Old 11-04-2010, 04:23 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake Ok
Please be specific...what Blizzaks are you referring to.
A set of 225/265 18" LM60 cost $836 at tirerack...price them out here and let me know the difference.

The cheaper the tires the less saving if you buy from the US.
DM - V1
245/75/16

I'll check again in the spring when I need tires for the real cars :-)
Old 11-05-2010, 11:23 AM
aron in toronto
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
First of all there is no duties on tires coming across the border .. only tax which is 13% of which you pay on the US price converted so there is huge savings there alone ...

This is an eception I admit but I was just in Indy for work so while there i picked up 4 tires for the Audi . payed 403.00 for 4 205/55R16 BFG Super sport AS tires .. seamed like a good deal .. and I got an 80.00 visa cash card after as a rebate .. cool

seamed like a good deal to me .
You are correct that there is no duty on North American manufactured tires, but I’m pretty sure there is duty on tires from the rest of the world.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:48 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by aron in toronto
You are correct that there is no duty on North American manufactured tires, but I’m pretty sure there is duty on tires from the rest of the world.
dont think soo...
Old 11-06-2010, 07:51 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

FYI just got a set of Falken Eurowinter HS439 225/40/18 & 265/35/18 from Simply Tire for Cheaper than www.discounttiredirect.com apprently US does not have the best prices for me :P...
Old 11-07-2010, 11:10 AM
Jake Ok
Burning Brakes

^^^What did you pay at Simply Tires.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:54 AM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Zookie for the recommemdation, the service was fast and courtious. I picked up a set of Grislaved Norfrost 5 snow tires and wheels on Wednesday for my wife's Acura TL. I picked out the snow tires and wheel package from the price list that Allen sent me, then went the next day to pickup the tires and wheels, which were ready as Allen had promised. I was in and out in like 15 minutes. The only questionable part of the experience was after I loaded the tires in the car and was leaving, one of the other customers at the back mentioned about a $30 discount, if it was just a pickup and installation on the car was not required. Anyone know if this is true, I just paid the package price?

Last edited by Mark Lue; 11-12-2010 at 03:03 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-12-2010, 09:59 AM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

mark just ask allen... i bet your discount was already included, did you mention this forum or my name?
Old 11-13-2010, 02:30 AM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Zookie
mark just ask allen... i bet your discount was already included, did you mention this forum or my name?
Yup, I did!
Old 11-13-2010, 11:05 AM
akw
Racer

Originally Posted by Jake Ok
I respect this forum very much and it has helped me in several occassions, so here is one back to you folks.

1. Set up a mail box in Buffalo - can be use for other Porsche items - save huge there too.
2. Shipping for tires about $40
3. Drive down and pick them up gas $40 (brownie points if you take the family shopping at the outlet mall)
4.Use your decretion and your cost should be about $920 for the set.
$440 savings = a nice track day + steak dinner....Priceless

This seems like it has the ability to obliterate any potential savings (depending how big your family is and how much they spend of course)

In my case I might at as well pay more in Canada than give my savings to a mall ....hahaha
Old 12-19-2010, 10:43 PM
Sultan
Burning Brakes

Went by for the first time this morning to get a tire patched, no appointment, in and out in 45 mins, and it seemed busy. A little out of my way, but I'll use them again in the future.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:37 PM
AHI
Advanced

Hey Guys, thanks for all the nice comments, we appreciate it.

I'm going to just chime in, if I may about the price differences for tires between Canada - US...

It really all depends on the tires you are picking, and the bigger the dollar value, the bigger the difference.

Being on this forum, you guys are used to expensive tires, based on the vehicles in question. The Differences are really not that much with Michelin, but are still very different with Bridgestone and Pirelli product, and this is something Bridgestone/Pirelli Canada is trying to adress.

As far as everything else goes - Falken, Gislaved, Continental (most), Dunlop, Goodyear, etc... very insignificant differences. Driving to Buffalo to have it done will definitely help get the price ever lower, but then again, what is your time worth?

I am no stranger to this topic, as even I have to drive down to Buffalo to have my GTR outfitted with tires as Dunlop Canada charges far too much for the R compound Run-Flats my car requires, and Dunlop USA will NOT ship into Canada on a wholesale level anymore. So to save myself $440.00, I did the trip.

It's all relative. To buy a 15" or 16" Michelin Xi2 winter package from Buffalo, makes no sense, because it will be less expensive locally, but buying a 295-30-19 Pirelli P-Zero for an Audi R8 will definitly save you $100.00 per tire... and in most cases, I can bring these tires in from the US for you guys (From TireRack), for less than you could, and give you free local proffessional installation.

This is not a free plug, as I know I'm not a sponsor, and TireRack is both your sponsor and my supplier, just wanted to clear the air a little.

Have an awesome New Years Rennlist !!!
Old 12-30-2010, 04:47 PM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I haven't had occasion to use Simply Tire yet, but based on Zookie's recommendation I send a friend there to get a set of snows for her BMW. She got great service and saved a lot of money over her supposed "best price" from other retailers.

Simply Tire will get my business this spring when I'm in the market for new rears.

Cheers,

Cliff
Old 12-30-2010, 05:07 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by AHI
As far as everything else goes - Falken, Gislaved, Continental (most), Dunlop, Goodyear, etc... very insignificant differences. Driving to Buffalo to have it done will definitely help get the price ever lower, but then again, what is your time worth?
Reason why i got my Falken Winters from Simply Tire! Id rather Sleep In and pay the Extra $$

Originally Posted by AHI
I am no stranger to this topic, as even I have to drive down to Buffalo to have my GTR outfitted with tires as Dunlop Canada charges far too much for the R compound Run-Flats my car requires, and Dunlop USA will NOT ship into Canada on a wholesale level anymore. So to save myself $440.00, I did the trip.
WOW How Ironic is that!

Happy New Years Buddy!!!

Quick Reply: Simply tire, simply awesome!