Vehicle transport US to Canada

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 02:30 AM
jnicol
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Vehicle transport US to Canada

Hi all,

I would be grateful for suggestions of vehicle transport companies that will ship from Texas to East BC.

Have searched the forum and see Hansen's and TFX getting a lot of positive feedback. The quote from TFX however made my cry (explanation was my central-to-central doesn't follow any of their normal routes). I have requested of Hansen's but have not heard back yet. Reliable and Plycar can do it but are not keen about crossing the border and would like me to make it worth their while to do $$$o.

Any suggestions much appreciated!
Thanks
Old 06-15-2010, 08:06 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Jim you may want to consider meeting the transport truck at the border or near the border and bring the car across yourself. It'll be cheaper. Not many drivers have passports to get back into the US.

Do a search. Lots of people have success with Intercity. There are a few more than a couple people have had a bad experience with.

I would go down and view the car before transferring payment. If the car was bought at a dealer there are a few Texas dealers who do not have a good reputation.

Good luck.

Chris.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:37 AM
jnicol
Instructor

Thanks, Chris.

Yes, looked into Intercity based on their reputation on the forum and they will not ship to my part of the world (northwest US or Canada).

Bought the car from an upstanding rennlister! The interaction and transaction has been an excellent experience. While I was in Texas I did stop in to see some dealers. Definitely can see what the 'fuss' is about.

I may end up meeting the car across the border as we live very close.... but it's still a hassle that I would prefer to avoid with three young kids at home. I have one quote so far that I can live with if necessary.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:13 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Doing the paperwork thing at the border is easy. Just make sure you have the proper paperwork.

www.riv.ca
Old 06-15-2010, 05:06 PM
bavorak
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call Adam at TFX, they are great to deal with. Remember, you get what you pay for, tis includes the service aspect as well. Have you decided if you will be shipping enclosed or open? This will play a big role in how much you pay. If I were you, I wouldn't hessitate to spend a little more for a reputable shipper that will bring your new toy to you unscathed. TFX dropped the car off at my door, driver was very carefull, thorough inspection car was shipped enclosed with a dustcover, plastic on the seats, steering wheel and disposable mats, they even wash it in their lot prior to delivery so there is not even a spec of dust on it. First impressions are very important!

Good luck!
Old 06-15-2010, 05:23 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 345 Posts

TFX brought my car up from California and do great work.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:40 PM
jnicol
Instructor

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I was really hoping to use TFX after reading all the great reviews on this forum. Unfortunately they don't routinely go to either Texas or East BC.... so the quote was almost twice the other quotes I have been getting... by other reputable transporters. I spoke with Adam and he said he has to ship it to Toronto and then out here. I'd like to use them, especially since they are Canadian, but it just doesn't make sense.

I have shipped a car before using Searail and never again. Yes, this time I will pay what it costs to go enclosed and door to door. Definitely worth it in my eyes.

I received a quote back today from Turbo Auto Transport - I know someone who has used them and was pleased with the service. They seem great so far. The combination of reasonable price and prompt service (so far) and a positive referral is leaning me towards them.

Still have some outstanding quote requests so we'll see what happens.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:59 PM
Tanner2305
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used Dependable Auto Service (DAS) in March but wouldn't recommend them. It took more then 3 weeks to shipmy car in a enclosed trailer from Destin Florida to Buffalo. They actually unloaded it twice once in Atlanta and once in NJ in their depot waiting for additional cars to go north.

Be prepared at the boarder otherwise the whole process will be a nightmare.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:17 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Would it be cheaper to fly down and bring the car back yourself?
Old 06-16-2010, 12:53 AM
jnicol
Instructor

Originally Posted by Brian 162
Would it be cheaper to fly down and bring the car back yourself?
Possibly...but I just don't have the luxury of time to do so. Starting to realize why my quotes are high .... it's a 2100 mile haul!
Old 06-16-2010, 10:59 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

That's quite a haul. I only had to drive around 1000 miles.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:51 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Myself and my friend brought his 968 back home from Tulsa OK. It was only 1750 miles and we did it in less than 36 hours.

Quick Reply: Vehicle transport US to Canada