Notices

OT: Boater Exam

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 08:04 PM
Sultan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: Boater Exam

Just got my boating license in the mail, also received a friends and family discount of $10 off for anyone who wants to get a license aswell. PM for details for anyone interested.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:09 PM
Granger968
Rennlist Member

You're referring to PCOC or Toronto Harbor License?
Old 06-01-2010, 08:19 PM
Sultan
Burning Brakes

Now you're getting technical! LOL I only got it to drive a boat and some seadoo's for May 24.

PCOC: www.boaterexam.com
Old 06-01-2010, 08:31 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

in other news .....
buddy of mine got busted in a tinnie while fishing 20 meters from a dock anchored .. blew a .081 and got his lisence yanked for 90 days ... had to take a weeks vacation from work and we are considering firing him .

ouch
Old 06-02-2010, 12:33 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

i have been stopped more times in the boat / sea doo / waverunner then in my cars/motorcycle/sled combined....

Could be the lake I'm on, but they are out there.....

Looking for licenses and booze.

P
Old 06-02-2010, 07:39 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

keep that in mind this summer guys ... my buddys life just changed drastically .. over a few beers while fishing
Old 06-02-2010, 10:18 AM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Just a little piece of advice...
I got a ticket last summer on my lake at the cottage for pulling my son on a waterski without a spotter
in the boat,and i was extremely polite with the QPP officers who let me go on the no fire extinguisher on board and not having my papers with me ...
They told me the guy they had stopped before me was arrogant and impolite and they threw the book at him,over $600.00 dollars in fines ...

Be careful out there

Cheers !
Phil
Old 06-03-2010, 04:21 PM
Cobrastrike
Track Day

It seems the OPP is much more vigilant in the water. I can't even remember the number of times I was stopped for a random safety/licence inspection. Having a 60hp motor mounted on the back of a boat weighing less than 200lbs might have something to do with that (Zodiac).
Old 06-03-2010, 04:42 PM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

I am on the Big Rideau Lake southwest of Ottawa. Well patrolled by the OPP and I have been stopped at least once per summer. They are always polite and respectful.
I have a cottage rule of no alcohol ever in our boats.
I wish they would do something about all the open exhaust boats....nothing like the sound of a 496 big block (or two) at 4500 RPM to shatter the peace of a beautiful evening.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:40 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Rideau,

I'm on Lac Taureau in Saint Michel des Saints,Quebec,a fairly large reservoir and i hear you about the "silent choice" exausts on some of the larger Baja type boats...
They should really crack down on those boaters,it's not like they will go any faster with an open exaust,they just annoy the f**k out of everybody else.

I have my own idea on how to handle it,but i don't think you're allowed to shoot a boat with the intention of sinking it ... lol

Cheers !
Phil
Old 06-03-2010, 07:16 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 520 Likes on 389 Posts

wildcat: they do run faster with open exhaust...just like our cars.
on a weekend how many minutes are you disturbed by these boats? they are expensive to runb.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:19 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

I notice sound travels quite a distance on water. About a 1/4 mi into the bay there's a pile o'rocks. Every year plain as day I hear, 'Oh ****'.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:27 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Danny,

My boat easily does 55 mph which is fast enough for me and most of the time i cruise at 25-30 mph.What is annoying is a guy with a small block trying to go as fast with his open exaust as someone with a 7.0 liter or twin engines for that matter.
Like Jim mentions,sound does travel and fortunately i am far enough from the marina and the beach so i am not overly affected by the sound but there are retired people who have been on the lake for a long time who have sold their cottages due to the noise of mostly tourists and their "wannabe" fast boats.
It's the same thing in the winter when the Americans come up for the X-Mas holidays with their "piped" sleds which are now illegal in Quebec but until they get nailed by the QPP everybody has to suffer from the noise.
I took the pipes off my sleds and ATV's out of respect for the landowners who allow passage rights but because of a bunch of yahoos the police are more present and bother law abiding citizens as well ...
Although there's no way i'm removing my "two out" Fabspeed muffler ... lol

Just my opinion

Cheers !
Phil
Old 06-04-2010, 09:58 AM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Phil/Danny
I am disturbed often by true "noisy boats" and wannabes. I am on a well travelled channel to the local restaurant/bar and my count would be at least 50 passes during the day and at least 30 in the evening.
The larger ones such as Fountains have twins and appear to be going much faster after they have visited the bar than before...wonder why.
It is illegal to have open exhausts within a certain distance from shore (I forget what it is) but I do know that every one of them is breaking the law as the channel may be 1/2 mile wide at its widest.
Too bad I gave away my Winchester Model 70 .222 with the varmint barrel and 10 power scope years ago.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:50 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Our boats and Sea doos have stock exhausts.

When I had my waverunner, it would burn about 50L/hr at WOT. I wonder what the big open exhaust boats run?

I do see and here them, but for me, it's just a minor annoyance I am willing to put up with. I know they are illegal, but I'm not the one in charge of policing it.

For those of you that have problems with it - seems like there is enough OPP/QPP boats out there that there should be a way to call in an complaint and hopefully have action on it.....

On the other hand, having a stock sled, motorcycle (with Staintune) and Porsche, and I can see their desire to run fast, maybe not free.....

P

Quick Reply: OT: Boater Exam