Notices

Bikers with Road Rage - My Story

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 09:11 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Bikers with Road Rage - My Story

With the news full of "bikers with road rage" and motorcycle accidents I thought I'd share my story... it's also a way for me to put my mind at rest.

I'm on my way home from work this evening, headed south down Bathurst in the left lane stuck in traffic. There's no oncoming traffic and I decide I'd rather go up and make a right at college than continue and try to make a left at Dundas. So I start a 3 point turn. As I'm in the "reverse" phase of my maneuver I first hear, then see out the passenger window (as I'm pointed across the road) some guy on a sport bike screaming up the road... he sees me and slams on the brakes, rear tire smoking and skidding, and after coming to a stop about 10 feet from my car goes around the front of my car yelling. I complete the turn and he stops his bike in front of my car, gets off, comes over to the driver side window (which was open) and grabs my arm with both hands and starts trying to twist it in a way it doesn't twist. I'm now yelling at him "wtf are you doing buddy" and he takes a swing at me through the window. After missing he tries opening my door, and when failing to do so proceeds to smash my drivers side mirror with his fist, walk back over to his bike and remounts, then pulls onto a side street and starts pointing at me. I'm not dumb enough to get out of the car, so I jot down his license plate and the people in the car next to me give me their phone number telling me to call them if I need a witness, and I drive away from the enraged biker.

In the end, I'm taking it as a life lesson learned, as I don't need the headache or the financial expense of trying to take this anywhere, especially given the joke of a legal system we have. It's not an expensive repair and other than a marked up arm I have no injuries (except for my pride).

I guess the point of posting my story is, watch yourselves on the road, things happen so fast and we all know that even if we aren't at fault, a bad situation can become one hell of an emotional and financial headache... something none of us need in our lives.

Oh, I was driving my Jetta. No P-cars were harmed in todays events!
Old 05-27-2010, 09:18 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 273 Likes on 183 Posts

Wow, you are tolerant. I'm envious. At minimum I'd have him busted for assault and get my insurance company to recover the damages....you know the mirror, any dents or scratches in the general vecinity, etc.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:37 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Wow, good on you for keeping your cool. Tough to do in those kinds of situations.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:50 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Report the pr!ck...you never know what kind of a psychopath he is and his potential next "victim" might not be as lucky as you were.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:18 PM
peritus
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

That was you!!!! Aw man, I'm sorry I overreacted, but you should have been paying more attention to oncoming traffic.

Just kidding...

I probably wouldn't have been able to restrain myself... good for you, and I agree with the others, you should report him.

Originally Posted by porsche0nut
With the news full of "bikers with road rage" and motorcycle accidents I thought I'd share my story... it's also a way for me to put my mind at rest.

I'm on my way home from work this evening, headed south down Bathurst in the left lane stuck in traffic. There's no oncoming traffic and I decide I'd rather go up and make a right at college than continue and try to make a left at Dundas. So I start a 3 point turn. As I'm in the "reverse" phase of my maneuver I first hear, then see out the passenger window (as I'm pointed across the road) some guy on a sport bike screaming up the road... he sees me and slams on the brakes, rear tire smoking and skidding, and after coming to a stop about 10 feet from my car goes around the front of my car yelling. I complete the turn and he stops his bike in front of my car, gets off, comes over to the driver side window (which was open) and grabs my arm with both hands and starts trying to twist it in a way it doesn't twist. I'm now yelling at him "wtf are you doing buddy" and he takes a swing at me through the window. After missing he tries opening my door, and when failing to do so proceeds to smash my drivers side mirror with his fist, walk back over to his bike and remounts, then pulls onto a side street and starts pointing at me. I'm not dumb enough to get out of the car, so I jot down his license plate and the people in the car next to me give me their phone number telling me to call them if I need a witness, and I drive away from the enraged biker.

In the end, I'm taking it as a life lesson learned, as I don't need the headache or the financial expense of trying to take this anywhere, especially given the joke of a legal system we have. It's not an expensive repair and other than a marked up arm I have no injuries (except for my pride).

I guess the point of posting my story is, watch yourselves on the road, things happen so fast and we all know that even if we aren't at fault, a bad situation can become one hell of an emotional and financial headache... something none of us need in our lives.

Oh, I was driving my Jetta. No P-cars were harmed in todays events!
Old 05-27-2010, 10:44 PM
jasonintoronto
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'd report it.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:34 PM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Crazy story man! I'm glad you didn't get hurt ~ people downtown are nuts
sometimes!
Old 05-28-2010, 12:05 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

Well you obviously scared the total CRAP out of the guy and it was all adrenaline . still he has to be able to control himself and he should be charged with assault
Old 05-28-2010, 12:41 AM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You really should file a police report if you haven't. What if he flips out on someone else and there's a trial over it? Reporting it now might very well prevent him from getting a slap on the wrist later for something more serious. Also, that was crazy. Way to play the situation smart.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:53 AM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

Reporting the incident is probably a good idea. Take pics of the bruised arm, the damage to the vehicle etc.....
Old 05-28-2010, 01:42 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Report it.

Cops likely won't do anything though.

Our justice system is a complete joke.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:35 AM
jackporsche
2nd Gear

new poster here (long time, as in old sports car owner and long time cyclist)....not sure re road rage issues, but seems to me from logistics of your traffic manouveur...was it illegal, no? and perhaps you put life & limb at risk....So well all posters here are onside with you, and while I dearly love P-car crowd last guy that jerked with me in traffic got a severe thump on his roof with my bike pump.....and well deserved indeed.
But if you were making a legal turn and paying all due car & attention, i will stand to be corrected.
If not "reporting the *****" as has been recommended" may only land you further in hot water.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:14 AM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about that , imo there is never an excuse for road rage whether from motorist or bicyclist.

And this may be off topic.....but from my personal experience as having lived for many yrs off & on in Vanc. (bike friendly), familiar with Portland (bike friendly) New York (actually bike friendly cause traffic moves so slow), Toronto (not bike friendly) and for the greater part of the last 15 yrs in Tokyo (bike friendly), somehow we should all (pedestrians, drivers, cyclists) find a way/get supporting rules & laws to get along.

Tokyo (and contiquous areas of Chiba & Kawaski & Yokohama) has a combined population of perhaps more than all of Canada in a land area of perhaps less than10,000 sq. miles, and yet with tolerance
all forms of transport (walk/drive/pedal) seem to co-exist without issue.

Not intending to spark a debate, only expressing a view/valid point.....

busy area of Tokyo-last wk.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:40 AM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for all the input, I will likely report it but not press any charges... like was stated above reporting it may help some other unfortunate motorist that isn't so lucky in a confrontation with the guy - that's a good point I didn't previously consider. Personally, it's not worth the headache for me to go after him... I'll move on to bigger and better things than dealing with this guy. I also firmly believe that if he keeps driving like he was in city traffic, he's not going to be so lucky sooner or later and I'll have my justice.

As for the traffic maneuver, I believe it was a legal turn, when I began the turn there was no oncoming traffic and I don't believe U-turns are illegal unless otherwise stated? Perhaps somebody here can shed more light on that.

raspberry - I agree. Toronto has a real traffic problem and it isn't just congestion. A large part of the problem is the attitude that exists between cyclists and motorists and all those in-between (scooters and such).

oh, and peritus - you owe me a mirror! haha.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:57 AM
MY86Carrera
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off, good for you and your staying calm in a situation such as that. You never know to what level some one like that is willing to go to ( read concealed weapon, or weapon of opportunity). Second, YES you should report the incident - you say you have a marker, so again yes even if the traffic guys can stop the bike and ID the rider (which is why traffic stops help,-another subject ). As for assault, the difficulty is in the identity, if the rider was wearing a full face helmet could you recognize that individual without the helmet. Conviction if you could identify the rider would more than likely have a very disappointing out come for most. The level of this assault is very, very minor - and could be considered a waste of courts time as well. so even getting to trial might be difficult.
just my .02

BG

Quick Reply: Bikers with Road Rage - My Story